Refurbished 5D II from Cameta Camera

levon_b

Hi all,

I'm new to th Canon forum, but unfortunately find myself in the position of replacing all of my Nikon gear (including lenses).

Long story short, I find myself in th market for a new DSLR, and found a deal on the refurbished 5D II from Cameta, so I wanted to ask:

who has experience with refurbished 5D II's, and what is your experience?

The only lenses that I've still got are my manual focus nikon ais lenses, so thr investment in new glass is inevitable.

I appreciate any feedback in advance.

Best regards,

Levon

<p>The one thing I heard about refurbished is to make sure it has the Canon USA warranty. Some places only supply a warranty backed by the store, so for any warranty work, you have to take it back to the store.</p>

<p>BTW, I just bought a 5DII (new) from Cameta's ebay store. I found their service to be excellent and I got 8% bing cashback for using ebay. </p>

<p>I can recommend Cameta Camera from the purchase of a refurbished Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye. It looked new but came in a white box with a couple of "refurbished" labels on the box.</p>

<p>This was their warranty: <em>Refurbished equipment is guaranteed for 90 days from the manufacturer. Cameta Camera extends this warranty to 1 year from the date of purchase.</em></p>

<p>Congratulations! You'll love the camera. I went from a 20D to a 50D to the 5DII. The high ISO performance is just mind blowing! I love the 24-105L on this camera too! I am now saving for some nice primes.</p>

<p>I did not buy the camera for the video, but I find myself using the video more and more. The video quality is truly top notch.</p>

<p>I purchased a 40D refurbished from Cameta over a year ago. No problems whatsoever. I'm fortunate enough to live within driving distance from their physical store. Good guys and very straightforward.</p>

<p>I think the key issue is that this be a 'factory refurbished' unit, backed by Canon's factory refurb warranty (90 days for refurb vs. 1 year for new) and that it arrive the the Canon refurb packaging (which is typically quite a bit different than the new equipment packaging) with the Canon seal intact. Canon factory refurbs have an excellent reputation. According to some (perhaps speculative) sources, the refurbished units actually get tighter and more thorough QC than new units. <br /> That said, I personally got a defective refurbished Canon 5DII (defective autofocus). Fortunately I was able to return it, at no cost and with no hassles, to the authorized dealer I purchased it from (Adorama in this case). In fact, they shipped the new unit (I got cold feet about refurbs after the initial experience) immediately and issued me a full refund (including all shipping costs). <br /> One thing to consider when buying refurb equipment, which typically has a fairly short warranty period, is that some vendors will provide their own extended warranty at no additional cost (Adorama for instance typically offers a 1 year warranty). Of course, if it fails past the manufacturer's warranty period, but within the vendor's extended warranty period, you will need to deal with the vendor, rather than the manufacturer, to get the unit repaired or replaced.<br /> -Wes</p>