Nikon WedNEsDAy PiC 2010: #13

Matt Laur

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<ul>

<li>Peter Heritage: sorry to learn about your loss.</li>

<li>Rick Moran: another excellent yellowleg flight shot. I am surprsied that he used ISO 320 on the D2H while the shutter speed was 1/6000 sec. and the lens stopped down to f5.6. I myself am so picky that I try to use the base ISO as much as I can, especially on the D2 family cameras.</li>

<li>Aquinaldo de Paula: very nice 14mm city image. 14mm is by no means easy to use. I guess you have no language issue in Portugal. (Aquinaldo is from Brazil.)</li>

<li>Beautiful sunset from Michael Mixon.</li>

</ul>

<p>We have clarified the posting guidelines here: <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00W7km">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00W7km</a> Those are mainly clarifications. We try to keep things the same as the way Jose Angel had them.</p>

<p>This week, several people whose first post wasn't successful posted again with all the original text in the second post. Therefore, all I had to do was to delete the original unsuccessful posts, typeically due to image attachment issues. A big <strong>thank you</strong> to you all for making my work easier.</p>

<p>Last but not least, thanks again to Matt for starting yet another Wednesday thread on time.</p>

<p>

<p >So many great photos!</p>

<p >Here are some that I like especially:</p>

<p >@ Matt Laur -- a great pup! Makes me feel guilty that I don't take my golden retriever hunting.</p>

<p >@ Shun Cheung - I like the shadow and the white line </p>

<p >@ <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=1663928">Richard Karash</a> -- a great sunset indeed! Makes me miss Boston.</p>

<p >@ Paula Wang -- I think I know the spot where you photographed the beautiful moonlit Monterey harbor.</p>

<p >@ <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=4641068">Greg Kowalczewski</a> - a great moment captured!</p>

<p >@Matthew Brennan - a wonderfully expressive sky</p>

<p >@ Jens Frederiksen -- a very tasteful still life, wonderful textures and colors and composition</p>

<p >@ Francesco Pessolano -- a wonderful image, full of mystery</p>

<p >@ Peter Heritage -- please, accept my condolences; and your photo is very funny.</p>

<p >@ Aguinaldo de Paula -- a great use of wide angle, while creating a photo a prominent central element.</p>

<p >@Dieter Schaefer -- what an incredible light!</p>

<p >@ Tim Holte - terrific geometry and expressions in the b/w</p>

<p >@ <a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=501620">Georg S</a> -- a very good capture of the child's expression, and contrast between the flesh and shiny steel, not to mention the reflection</p>

<p >@ Paul B -- I love the snowy landscape with the clouds rolling in</p>

<p >@ Radu Dumitrescu -- very good!</p>

<p >@ Don Harper -- a great cat portrait.</p>

<p >@ Nick Doronin -- green on green -- great!</p>

<p >@ Mark L. Cooper -- I am looking forward to more photos of the pups as they grow up!</p>

<br />

</p>

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td valign="top">

<ul>

<li>Greg: amazing sports shot, and thanks for the story, too.</li>

<li>Adam: not an HDR fan, but love this one.</li>

<li>George: digital. I get it.</li>

<li>Linda: the bubble gum really makes it special.</li>

</ul>

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p>My post today is of one of my favorite views of the Washington Memorial, taken from the path to the Jefferson Memorial.</p><div>00W8Mo-233525684.thumb.jpg.19680b77b9ab3d98942ee58ac4142805.jpg</div>

<p>Once again, so enjoyable to see everyone's photos. Here were my favorites this week.<br>

<strong>Erik Christensen</strong> - HaHa! Very cute!<br /><strong>Jens Frederiksen</strong> - very pleasant still life<br /><strong>Michael Kohan</strong> - good progression in the runners<br /><strong>Greg Jones</strong> - lighting is very well done<br /><strong>Rick Dohme</strong> - the bus adds much<br /><strong>Peter Heritage</strong> - Sorry about your dad, Peter. Great photo though, outrageous!<br /><strong>Aguinaldo de Paula</strong> - I really like this, very surreal with the buildings in the background, the bold lines in the street and the gentleman and lightpost in front.<br /><strong>Tim Holte</strong> - great personality shot<br /><strong>Martin Z</strong> - I like the framing and colors<br /><strong>Alejandro Held</strong> - All the components of the picture work so well together<br /><strong>Radu Dumitrescu</strong> - posed so well, like an advertisment for a play</p>

<p>I took this at the Topsport stage race this weekend. <a href="http://topsportcycling.com/2010/03/topsport-stage-race-weekend-summary/">http://topsportcycling.com/2010/03/topsport-stage-race-weekend-summary/</a><br>

The race consisted of a time trial and a circuit race on saturday plus a road race on sunday. This photo is the road race on sunday. The races are divided into several different groups by ability, gender, and age. This is the 1/2/pro, which is the fastest group. They raced before me.<br>

The photo is three guys trying to get away from the main pack, with the follow car behind the pack.<br>

Technical details: Nikon D90 + 70-300 f4.5-5.6 AF-S VR G shot at 165 mm f5 t=1/800 ISO=200 no flash.</p><div>00W8Oo-233545784.jpg.d191ecf69c7edbdc7047addbdf7eabe4.jpg</div>

<p>Many, many thanks to all those photo-netters who have shown their support for me at this time.  It's a privilege to belong to a virtual community such as this.</p>

<p>This is really the first time since Christmas that I've had the time (or inclination, really) to look carefully at this thread.  As ever, there are some stunning images but the stand-out for me is Rick Moran's Snowy Egret.  On this day (the funeral) it speaks to me of the natural wonders of this world and the sheer beauty of creation.  Technically speaking, I'm torn between awe and despair!  Thank you for posting this, Rick.</p>

<p>Me again! I was absent a few weeks due to insufficient quality of the photos I've taken. We took a short break last weekend to the western Black Sea region and this is one of the decent shots I got. It looked much better when viewed bigger but I decided to post it anyway.<br>

Cheers.<br>

Durukan</p><div>00W8SK-233573584.jpg.27818a0e8da002f65ad7086bc3b0ba73.jpg</div>

<p>Sorry for the late post! This is my first posting to this forum. I have been a long time follower but never decided to post until today. <br>

All of the pictures are awesome this week. I especially like Jennifer Meighan, Phil Burt, and Doug Santo.<br>

Statue in my yard. i was intrigued by the weathered look.</p>

<p> </p><div>00W8hM-233711584.jpg.2e09f5b023935f97d8091a63d26e874b.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks to Phil Burt and Douglas Mosman for your kind words<br /><br />Each week is more difficult to choose only a few with so many great pics!<br /><br /><strong>Richard Karash's</strong> Skyline, <strong>Francesco Pessolano's</strong> Italian town,<br>

<strong>Peter Heritage</strong>: so funny a picture with so sad words. Sorry for your loss.<br>

<strong>Adam Zyto's</strong> Bass player, <strong>Aguinaldo de Paula's</strong> Evora city, <strong>John Farrar's</strong> March sunset, <strong>Rick Moran's</strong> Egret, <strong>Dieter Schaefer's</strong> Great Egret, <strong>Tim Holte's</strong> Nieces, <strong>Georg S's</strong> Girl and classic car,<strong> Radu Dumitrescu's</strong> Bar Group, <strong>Monika Epsefass's</strong> Tulips, <strong>Nick Doronin's</strong> bird <br>

<br />and the macros of <strong>Lil Judd, Oskar Ojala, Ray Gosalia</strong> and <strong>Mircea C</strong><br>

by by<br>

Alejandro</p>

<p>

<p>Another really great Wednesday thread. The images that most caught my attention this week so far:</p>

<p>@Shun, I really like the action.<br>

@Bill J Boyd, the color and tone are wonderful in the tulips. <br>

@Francesco Pessolano, wow, Sassi of Matera is a very interesting place. Nice shot.<br>

@John Farrar, your sunset is simple, abstract, and beautiful.<br>

@Oskar Ojala, nice narcissus.<br>

@Rick Moran, the egret at a decisive moment.<br>

@Dallas McVicker, that's a great self-portrait.<br>

@Lawrence Ho, great flower. Focus stacking really works!<br>

@Roberta Davidson, nice macro. <br>

@Radu Dumitrescu, that's a terrific bar photo.<br>

@Scott Murphy, Laura in the studio... Terrific.<br>

@Larry Gardner, the metal on that locomotive is just wonderful.<br>

@Ilkka Nissila, a beautiful image... Ice? It says so much.<br>

@Michael Mixon, lovely sunset, beach, cliffs. 100 shots, eh? Well worth it.<br>

@Nick Doronin, nice green on green. Cute pose. <br>

@Maurice Orozco, that's a wonderful portrait.</p>

<p>Thanks to those who mentioned my sunset. It's a pleasure to be practicing photography with all of you!</p>

</p>

<p>Fantastic to see all this! I just looked through the whole thing again while having my coffee. Overall this week I most enjoyed all the animals and insects. New puppies and sadly Hobo who's going out, the cats, butterflies, birds, bugs, fish, snakes and horse. Did I miss any? Most important though to Peter, sincere condolances on the loss of you father, your picture and dedication was great.</p>