Can't help myself: What strap's on your camera?

<p><strong><em>Me?</em></strong></p>

<p><strong>Pentax K-x</strong>: Supplied Pentax strap. Not bad at all. Pentax in red, but not too big or too wide. No sticky-ass rubber stuff on the back, just a kind of velour stuff.</p>

<p><strong>Canon 50D</strong>: Skooba Superbungee, all black. Comfortable, light weight but wearing out <strong><em>very</em></strong> quickly.</p>

<p>Tried to like but didn't the Wapiti and the Crumpler Industry Disgrace (comfy but too bulky).</p>

<p>What's in your wallet (I mean on your camera)?</p>

<p>Thanks to all.</p>

<p> </p>

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I've tried a couple of aftermarket straps for various Canon EOS bodies, and finally came back to the Canon supplied strap. I don't like quick-disconnect type straps, especially if after disconnect they leave little "tails", and have clips at the connect that are likely to impact your LCD screen, or just come apart on you. I like a simple, strong/secure/tangle-free strap that breathes. The Canon strap's not bad for all that, the only issue being the gaudy red commerical, don't like that, but oh well.</p>

<p>Anything EXCEPT the one that comes with the camera that says "NIKON" all over in bright yellow. To me that is like those people who buy Coach bags and leave that tag hanging from it that says "Coach." Tacky. No need to scream to the world which model camera you have. First thing I do with new camera is replace strap with neoprene one. I've travelled from Alaska to southern Africa with the neoprene type and it is perfect. Cleans up well, springy-ness is comfortable, and it is subtle. </p>

<p>Same strap I've been using since the 80's.<br>

I place split rings on all my cameras and use it on all, I do not like the little ones that come with the cameras as the get all tangled up.</p>

<p>~Jack</p>

<p>On all my main cameras I have Tamrac straps with quick releases and shoulder pads. At some point a few years ago I bought a lot of these used at KEH. I like them partly because they're good to carry and sturdy, you can remove the strap when using a tripod, and also because the plastic attachments don't gouge up the cameras when I stuff them into cases.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I have one of those hippie phsychedelic straps that looks like it came from Mexico."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Far out, Harry...If I have the right strap in mind my bother had the same thing on his Minolta SRT-101 back in the 70s,,,</p>

<p>The classic Nikon AN-4B black nylon straps grace my Nikon D700s and my Oly E-P1:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37064-REG/Nikon_639_AN_4B_Nylon_Neck_Strap.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37064-REG/Nikon_639_AN_4B_Nylon_Neck_Strap.html</a></p>

<p>Similar black nylon straps came with my Mamiya 7II bodies, only they had "Mamiya" in white letters- a black magic marker fixed them:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/34802-REG/Mamiya_215_302_Neck_Strap_for_Mamiya.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/34802-REG/Mamiya_215_302_Neck_Strap_for_Mamiya.html</a></p>

<blockquote>

<p>Do you find the Upstrap gets hotter than other straps cuz of the material?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I've never noticed it. The Upstrap's pad is solid rubber, so I could see how this might happen, though the little "pips" probably provide some spacing for air circulation.<br>

The Upstrap's strap itself is skinny, so it's only the pad area that could be a concern. The minimalism of the strap is part of why I really like it.<br>

Before switching to Upstraps, I experimented with many straps. A long time ago I preferred neoprene when I used to hang the strap around my neck. Since switching to the shoulder, I'm a big fan of the Upstrap. I suspect the R-strap would be the winner if I went bandolier-style.</p>

<p>From a review at B&H about the Nikon AN-4B:</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em><strong>"Finally.</strong></em><br /><br /><em><strong>A thin neckstrap without so much branding on it as to look like it barely survived an explosion at a paint factory."</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p><em><strong><br /></strong></em></p>

<p>I mostly use whatever came with the camera. But it depends on the weight of the camera. With the D2H, the original Nikon strap but with the foam rubber padding from an Op/Tech strap. I liked the Op/Tech padding and comfort, but not the design. My hybrid looks like hell but it's comfy on the neck.</p>

<p>My Nikon 35mm SLRs have various straps. A bright red Vero Vellini padded strap on the F3HP (discretion? what's that?). The FM2N wears a homebrewed guerilla strap of olive drab paracord cinches and military web strap. I use the same green paracord for my handheld meters, Yashica TLR, Agfa Isolette folder and other stuff. </p>

<p>Nifty stuff, that paracord. Very limp and easy to handle, unlike most ropes, knots well and releases easily. In a pinch I can remove it from the camera and use it to cinch a tripod leg against a tree as a makeshift light or reflector stand, to keep it from blowing over. Two items for makeshift anchors are usually in every one of my bags: paracord; 3M brand blue masking tape.</p>

<p>My Olympus cameras came with very comfy, thin cloth straps that don't chafe. I like 'em and use 'em.</p>