Storing film in freezer

giverin

<p>Bit of a basic question but I've just got a load of Rollei Retro 100 35mm that I want to store in the freezer. The rolls are in their plastic canisters. Do I just store it like that or do I have to seal the canisters in a plastic bag or suchlike? </p>

<p>Allow me to throw a flag on the field. This caution applies only to color negative material. I know the film in question is B&W so you can ignore.<br>

All photofinishers both those that cater to professionals and those that cater to armatures must keep their printers adjusted so they output optimum work. This entails performing daily tests and measurements. A modern printer has its memory banks filled with data regarding the differences in the color characteristics between the various films. This extends even to batch differences same film, different release date.<br>

Films that are mishandled via delays between usage and process or poor storage conditions, fall outside the normal. Now their characteristics are so different the printer's logic fails to deliver an optimum print. You need to known that modern photofinishing printers have manual adjust modes. An operator can apply correction on the fly by observing a display screen and making color correction judgments. More likely, the machine will be set to auto mode and the outcome will be based on current color offsets stored in the machine's logic.<br>

What I am trying to tell you is, color films stored in the freezer have an extended shelf life but since films are made in batches, over time, the color characteristics of currently manufactured films will be quite different from films made last year. When you use stored film, be award that substandard results are likely unless the photofinisher is diligent and willing to manually correct. Also, in a mass merchandising environment, likely you will be the first to see the results. Don't wait, examine on the spot and ask that substandard prints be re-printed with manual corrections.</p>

<p>I'm not a big fan of freezing emulsions.<br>

I suspect it causes more harm than positive things. For example at the factory canisters aren't sealed in their plastic containers so some air inevitably gets in. When the film is put in the deep freezer (-18°C) this air crystallize onto the emulsion. I just prefer not putting anything in deep freezer.</p>

<p>Ditto Larry. My last roll was from a batch that's been in deep freeze for six years and over two years past its expiration date. Looks fantastic.</p>

<p>To answer the OP - I also put the canisters inside zip lock bags. This keeps residual moisture out and is useful when taking film direct from freezer to camera bag. Plus it helps keep the freezer organized and means I can locate an entire batch easily.</p>