Lenses on Ebay

richard_martin10

<p>A few days ago I posted a rant on how prices of Canon lenses on Ebay are getting crazy, in some cases used examples selling for more then new ones. Now I've seen everything because as I write this at 8:15PM EDT there is a 70-200 2.8 IS that is ending in about 2 1/2 hours, the owner states he fell through the ice on a freshwater lake with his camera and this lens. He says that Canon has told him the lens is beyond repair, by the photos its obvious that its still filled with water, it is now over 660.00 with 25 bids! Am I missing something or have people gone completely nuts?</p>

<p>Some bidders are scammers who don't pay and bid for malicious intent.</p>

<p>Here is one of many examples where the seller had to relist due to due to <strong>"a non-paying and otherwise difficult buyer"</strong> http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-2-8L-USM-Autofocus-Lens-Non-IS_W0QQitemZ120549800666QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCamera_Lenses?hash=item1c1153fada.</p>

<p>I've bid on items where is seems pretty obvious that some shill bidding is going on. The most blatant one was when I bid on a bicycle a couple of years ago, it got out of hand pretty quickly and I stopped bidding. Within minutes of the auction ending the seller contacted me and said the winner wouldn't pay and offered me a "deal" that was nearly double the bikes value. This water damaged lens just seems so ridiculous to me, I might take a chance with it at no more then 100.00 but I'll bet this one ends up in the 800.00 range. I guess now is the time to sell bridges to people also!</p>

<p>Richard,</p>

<p>With regards, specifically, water damaged camera gear, it often gets bid to stupid money. It always amuses me, yes there are a very few comeback stories but for the most part, if an insurance company writes something off you can be fairly sure there is a good reason, and no reliable way to fix it. I worked in the dive industry for years, I have countersigned many insurance claims for water damaged camera gear, I have never known an insurance company try to repair water damaged or flooded camera gear. Once it is wet it is invariably either dead or close to it, you could certainly never rely on its performance.</p>

<p>Strange what people will buy.</p>

<p>if the sellers are crazy what do you think about the buyers who pay for used lenses more than what the new ones cost (after ebay bucks and bing cashback). I have been hunting for a decent 17-40mm f/4, 580EX II and 1.4X II and consistantly people buy used ones (and I do not mean days/weeks or months old but years old) for often more than what the Buy It Now new with US warranty cost. Like a little Las vegas :-).<br>

On the other hand there are ocasionally great deals. I scored a few weeks old 70-200 IS USM with a warranty for a great price recently. Local guy was selling and I picked it up. Awesome unit.</p>

<p>I guess there is an element of competition (and testosteron) in these auctions, people who "just have to win".<br>

A clever economist (don't remember who) said that the correct market price for a product in an auction is what the second highest bidder is willing to pay (and that the winner is actually the loser).</p>

<p>This is not just on eBay. I have seen homes that were listed on the market for most of a year put up for auction and sell for more than the listed price! And, the buyers pay a additional auction premium over sales price. Simply put there is no way to explain this except AUCTION FEVER! Knowing this you can be a seller and use the proceeds to buy what you want in a retail, sane negotiated market, used or new. The caveat is buyer beware has never been more true. Once, that I have studied these markets, it is time to exploit them to ameliorate your cash burn by both buying and selling. Buy low, sell high. You will have a lot of fun learn a lot and have use of a large range of items.</p>

<p>I've tried to sell a 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM on Ebay.</p>

<p>FOUR times in a row, someone would do the "buy it now" thing. Then I would get an email saying they wanted me to either ship it overseas or to an address other than their pay pal account address.</p>

<p>Seller protection is only in effect if you ship it to the purchaser's address that's on their Pay Pal account.</p>

<p>I reported this to Ebay Security, each time they came back with the fact that someone had gained control over an account and were making purchases fraudulently.</p>

<p>I stopped trying to list any photo gear on Ebay.</p>

<p>Yes, there are non-paying buyers and EBay doesn't help with that either. I had that experience myself...after over a month of dealing with EBay I won the case and was refunded all fees but...the buyer was allowed to leave me neg feedback! Go figure...<br>

Many buyers get caught up in auctions and pay way more than the item's true value. While this can be good for sellers (if you do get paid) it's not that good for buyers because you end up bidding against people who are willing to pay far more than they would if they bought the item new at a reputable dealer in the first place.</p>

<p>It seems to be a recent thing on Ebay, perhaps because Canon prices are going up quickly. In August or Sept. of 2008 I picked up 2 beautiful lenses from different sellers, both pristine, a 70-200 2.8 and a 400 5.6 for very reasonable $. Still can be done but requires much hunting, patience, and perserverance!</p>