Recommended film cameras?

<p>This question gets asked here about once a week! There are a hundred answers; you're about to hear all of them, and they're all correct. Look at the previous threads on this topic and see the range of replies. For me, I'd always recommend a Canon T70, ideally with a 50/1.4.</p>

<p>Leica SL2 or Canon T90 in SLR cameras. If you're really cheap and don't care about lens interchangeability, and want a neat rangefinder, look at the 1956-59 Ricoh 500 cameras, especially the 519.</p>

<p>You can get a Sigma SA-7n 35mm SLR kit pretty cheap these days from Internet sources. The kit comes with a body, 2 lenses, and basic carrying case. This is your basic multi-mode compact lightweight 35mm SLR. Just look around at places like ebay, Craigs list, etc.</p>

<p>What are your preferences?

<h5>Body:</h5>

<ul>

<li>Small, medium, or large format?</li>

<li>Small, medium, or large camera?</li>

<li>Rangefinder, SLR, or other?</li>

<li>Manual or auto focus?</li>

<li>Metered or no?</li>

<li>What degree of exposure assistance?</li>

<li>Iron-age or with batteries?</li>

<li>Manual wind or motorised?</li>

<li>Need flash?</li>

</ul>

<h5>Lenses:</h5>

<ul>

<li>Fixed or interchangeable?</li>

<li>Primes, zooms, or don't care?</li>

<li>Wide, normal, or long?</li>

<li>Care to shoot macro?</li>

</ul>

And so on, and so on...</p>

<p>As some have said, you need to narrow down your preferences more than just film camera; my current working group is very varied, and I use each for special situations in my architectural photography; I might pick up any one of these for any other purpose:</p>

<p>Minolta 35mm SRT 101 and 102 35mm bodies with lenses from 20mm to 300mm: architectural details, inside and out as well as general views where perspective control isn't needed</p>

<p>Nikon FG20 35mm bodies and lenses ranging from 28mm to 205mm for same use as Minoltas plus perspective control lens when needed</p>

<p>Hasselblad 503 medium format with lenses from 50mm to 150mm for general shots where I want a little larger negative/transparency; kit includes six backs, four finders and other accessories</p>

<p>Cambo 4x5 monorail view camera for architectural work involving perspective control; lenses ranging from 65mm to 240mm and backs for 4x5, 6x7, and 6x9 film; adapter to accept Super Graphic lens boards</p>

<p>Super Graphic 4x5 for use as a field camera and backup for the Cambo; will accept all of the same lenses and backs as the Cambo.</p>

<p>Note that all of these are fully manual cameras; my wife has a Minolta auto kit with lenses from 19mm thru 210mm for messing around.</p>

<p>I have no recommendations. Since the early 1970's. I've liked Pentax's, Nikons, Konicas (now Sony)... How could I possibly recommend anything specific when some of the best photographs I've ever taken were made with cheap bakelite or plastic medium format cameras. The best of the bunch was an old, vintage Agfa Isolette with a missing lens bezel and rubbed-off focus marks. I couldn't have done any better with a megabucks Hasselblad. I'm planning to have great fun soon using a plastic, guess-focus Beirette VSN 35 mm camera. I've had it for many years, but never had a chance to use it. The digital will stay at home, and so will my "good" 35 mm camera.</p>

<p>The point of this story is this:<br>

... just buy something and use it. It doesn't matter what it is.</p>

<p>I love film, because each new roll is a new experience, and unlike a darned sensor, you can pick and choose your film!</p>

<blockquote>

wow wish i could get an F3 at that price

</blockquote>

<p>

My F4S cost me £89 about six months ago from a reasonably well-known dealer. Looks like it spent most

of its life being used as a wrecking ball, but works perfectly; and as a bonus it came with a clean E screen.

It's astonishing the level of film camera that one can pick up for pennies nowadays, which makes me

wonder why people still go for the cold-war-era Russian SLRs.

</p>

<p>Asking this question here will guarantee a different answer from every poster. However, rather than tell you to buy something like a Canon AE-1, or a Nikon FM2N, consider a recent Canon rebel G or G2. CHEAP, but with all the bells and whistles one can ask for in a film camera that you can often buy on ebay for less then $25.. with lens. Or, a Canon EOS Elan II.. a definite step-up, but with more robust build and better user interface. I bought one on ebay in like-new condition for less than $12, for the body only. My point is that if you decide to make a move to a DSLR (If you do not already have one), having a 35mm SLR and DSLR that share the same lens mount is a plus. I love shooting film, and digital, too. Therefore, it's either Canon EOS or Nikon AF bodies that make sense in that vein.<br>

Or, you can go the Nikon route and buy an N8008 body for less than $50, which will work with manual and all AF Nikon lenses (except G and AF-S and DX lenses). </p>

<p> </p>

<p>As most of the other poster's have indicated. Choose a camera that "you like!"<br />But . . . As Mark indicated, get a film camera body that "shares or has" the same lens mount as the newer digital bodies.<br />I can relate to the Canon equipment to make the point. You mentioned the Canon AE-1. The Canon "A-series" were "FD" mounts, and will not fit the "newest" "EF/EF(s)" lens mounts on the Canon EOS bodies of the <em><strong>newer film or digital </strong></em>Canon equipment.<br />I got "stuck" in the transition when Canon changed from the "A-Series" to the "EOS Series" of Equipment. I had acquired "almost everything you could want" in FD lens(es) and Canon bodies with the F-1, A-1, AE-1 and AT-1 over a 30 year period. Then got away from my "photography" hobby for awhile, returned and started getting "re-acquainted," only to find out that everything I had was considered "outdated!"<br />As I got "re-acquainted" during the "film to digital" transition I bought a new Canon EOS Elan 7e and a used EOS-3 and slowly started gathering/acquiring lens(es), Computer, Printer, etc.,etc., knowing that "someday" I would be going digital!<br />I currently shoot both film and digital and share the same lens(es) between by film EOS -3 body and the EOS 50D digital body.<br />Used, and usually "like new" condition EOS film bodies are a "real bargain" in the market now. And, you can buy the Canon EF 50mm 1.8 lens(es) new for around $100.00!<br />As I indicated above . . . I bought the Elan 7e new for about $400.00, now I see them all the time on Craigslist or Ebay for less than $150.00! That's almost top quality/features at half price!<br />Best wishes,<br />Jim J.</p>

<p>Brands aside, I'd go for the most recent technology - the newest film camera you can afford. Unless, of course, you want to go back to manual everything - which is fine. Me, as Mark says above - I kind of split the difference with a Nikon 8008s which works just fine for me as I only occasionally shoot slide film anymore.</p>

<p>I'd get something that accepts newer lenses, especially if you have a digital SLR. I have a 40D and got a EOS Canon A2 that accepts EF lenses so I could use all my current lenses on it. I thought it would be fun to use the full frame capabilities of my wide lens without cutting off an arm for a digital FF.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"My point is that if you decide to make a move to a DSLR (If you do not already have one), having a 35mm SLR and DSLR that share the same lens mount is a plus. I love shooting film, and digital, too. Therefore, it's either Canon EOS or Nikon AF bodies that make sense in that vein."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not bad advice, but Pentax manual/autofocus or Minolta autofocus are also perfectly valid choices in this sense too. More specific advice on this might be to avoid dead mounts like Canon, Olymupus, or Minolta <em>manual</em> focus.</p>

<p>Anyway, Jean-Yves Mead had a good list of considerations. Considering the cameras you are looking at (relatively compact, manual-focus, autoexposure, SLR), you might also want to consider a Pentax ME Super, Super Program, Program Plus, etc., P3N, etc. Consider what lenses you think you'd want as well.</p>