My next two pieces of equipment... final thoughts?

melinda_gaus

<p>I finally have some extra cash so spend on some long awaited photography equipment. Just running my final selections past anyone for final input.</p>

<p>I currently have a D80, 18-70mm, 50mm 1.8, and a cheapo tripod (got it to just start experimenting with tripods, before I plunk any real cash down on one).</p>

<p>My purchase plans:<br>

Flash - Nikon SB600 - For indoor and low light photography. Right now I'm stuck with either the on camera pop-up flash or the tripod with long shutter speeds. Neither is all too great, especially when trying to capture moving targets like my cat or new neice!</p>

<p>Lens - Nikon 70-300mm. For nature shots, animals, zoo critters, etc. I know this is probably not the "best of the best" in terms of this type of lens, but it is much closer to my price range. I can't afford the $1,000+ telephotos right now. What I seem to read, however, is that it is pretty decent for the price range. I plan on getting this one used from Keh photo.</p>

<p>My "other" purchase is another photo seminar course at the local art center.</p>

<p>So.... thoughts? Let ye speak now, or forever hold your peace!</p>

<p>I would go for the flash. Add in some rechargeable batteries (I don't know what kind that unit takes) and an AC power adapter.</p>

<p>Photography is light-writing. The flash is your always-available light.</p>

<p>Really, a simple wired or wireless rig for triggering that flash off camera, and an umbrella with bracket will probably be more fun for you in the long run than a longer lens. There is a lot of stuff you can do with one or two flashes.</p>

<p>If you are going to want those longer lens shots, you're going to need to beef up the support systems. The only thing worse than no tripod is an overloaded tripod that starts slipping or flexing.</p>

<p>Glad to see that you budgeted for some classes. That'll probably get you farther than lots of other choices. It's tough to beat interpersonal instruction.</p>

<p>SB600 is fine, and compared to the SB900 it at least fits in normal bags.<br>

For the 70-300, is it the 70-300<strong>VR</strong> you're after? If not, the 55-200VR is better than both old 70-300 lenses. If it is the VR lens, excellent choice for the money. The VR will also help avoid the tripod, as John says, cheap tripods and long lenses are a bad mix.</p>

<p>Thanks, all. Yes, it is the VR. Sorry, my fault for skipping that important detail.</p>

<p>I do plan on beefing up the tripod, as suggested. I got a very inexpensive version, so I could dabble a bit.... find out what I liked, want I didn't, what I need and didn't, etc. Sort of like the training wheels before the real thing. :)</p>

<p>You didn't say what you want to do with the stuff, so any recommendations about flash, lens and tripod priorities aren't going to be very helpful. But for most purposes, you wouldn't be going wrong if you got a 70-300 VR and an SB-600. The 70-300 is a respectable lens for outdoor tele and it's FX in case you ever want a film camera, and the SB-600 has enough power for a lot of applications and can do off-camera with a D80. The SB-900 is something I see as more specialized. It's big, and it's expensive, and some people need the extra power but most don't.</p>

<p>A cheap addition for your flash would be a plastic diffuser. These frosted white plastic domes fit over the end of the flash and do a great job of making flash shots that do not like flash shots, harsh shadows and all. Stofen is a brand name, but I personally balked at the local $30.00 price so I got one on eBay for under $6.00, shipping included. I keep in on my Canon flash most of the time, especially like the lighting when shooting our 10 month old grandson.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Those are excellent choices. The 70-300 VR with your 18-70 covers a huge focal length range, and both are very good lenses.<br>

I have 3 SB-600's. It is a capable flash with plenty of power for normal use.<br>

I have used those lenses and flashes with the D80 and D300. While I have some pro glass, the 18-70/70-300 makes a great walk-around kit.</p>

<p>Yea, they were out of stock at two different stores. Could not even order it or have it shipped to me. The stores were waiting for more from Nikon, but had NO IDEA when the new shipment was coming.</p>

<p>Out of sheer luck, I was able to find ONE at a store half way across the state. The store is closing tomorrow and I was able to get it shipped to me. If I would have called 10 minutes later, I would have been out of luck.</p>