What % of your phots are taken using "P" setting? C'mon, be honest

walter_strong5

<p>I nearly always use M with occasional rare use in Av or Tv. I think P mode is also a great way to get Geen Box shooters comfortable with making some choices about their own photos. And soon they begin to understand the relationship between aperture and shutter speed.</p>

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I know this is a Canon thread and I use Olympus but.....I try to set P mode as my default when I'm not actively shooting - that way, if something happens in front of me, I don't have to dick around too much. But generally, I shoot in A or when doing sport in S mode.</p>

<p>A big fat zero percent. How many photos have I ever taken in P mode -> zero.</p>

<p>For you to be in control, you need to be in Manual mode. Force yourself to start using M mode. Evaluate the scene and decide on exposure yourself. Make mistakes and learn. Practice, practice, practice, and you will improve your photography.</p>

<p>I use Program mode most of the time on my DSLR and XS10 for casual shooting, and with flash. I can see the aperture and shutter speed in the viewfinders, and can make adjustments or change to another mode if needed. </p>

<p>It seems that using Manual is a "badge" to indicate some people are <em>real</em> photographers! Newbies seem to pick up on this, and I'm sure we've all seen posts by newbies who start off by telling everyone they are using Manual, but are not getting good results. They seem to assume that "serious" photographers use Manual, so that is the only way to go if you too want to be "serious".<br>

<br />I use whatever works.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Honeslty, I use aperture mainly then shutter priority and rarely will use manual to tweak exposure if they fail me. Sometimes I would put in programme mode if I was taking pics of the kids messing around. Like a previous poster stated I would like more control over my pictures than what the cameras decides is right.</p>

<p>For me, The reason why I use P mode is that, When I am shooting hand held at low light , P mode will select higher shutter speed than AV mode, Allowing me to shoot the scene with more chance of success. Albeit at lesser exposure than AV mode.<br>

If I'm shooting night scene with a tripod, I use AV mode almost always, gives better result than p mode.<br>

If I'm shooting with flash, M mode , almost always.</p>

<p>Perhaps because I don't make money directly from photography as yet I can't enjoy 'P' mode. I want the challenge of 'M' with spot metering or centre weighted metering.<br>

Aside from enjoying the game of exposure I want control of depth of field plus I don't seem to shoot scenes that look like an 18% grey card. If I'm in a hurry to capture something then 'A' is the way to go. Though I have spent a reasonable amount of money on a very good DSLR I only want to use the features (3D matrix metering, continuous tracking AF, program mode etc) as an aid when I run out of ability.<br>

This is why I am challenged by photography.<br>

Marc</p>

<p>I am still learning so this topic is interesting to me. I started out on 100% manual once I got serious on trying to learn how to shoot . Now that I am more comfortable and have a better idea of how my camera works and with what I want to make it do I am around 50% P, 40% Av and 10% Tv with exposure compensation as needed. I rarely use manual anymore as I find that P, Av or Tv (basically the modes that let the camera do some of the work) and compensation get me where I want to be faster then trying to set a manual exposure from the get go.</p>

<p>When I started out in photography I used "P" all the time. As I got into it more seriously, learning to correctly expose for light. There was much trial and error when using Tv and Av. Now after a decade. I am confident to let me be in control instead of the camera. I do use "P" but not to shoot, I use it when I have plenty of time before actually exposing the scene. I gauge what the camera is "thinking" then adjust to my own liking using "M" or "Av". </p>

<p>When shooting macro, I'm 95% A, 5% M. When shooting landscapes, its 80% A and 20% M<br>

When traveling or doing street shooting, I leave my camera in P about 15%, when light is changing quickly or I'm shooting sun to shade frequently, otherwise it's 85% A. Rick Sammon's advice is useful, I'd rather have the camera guess an exposure in a fraction of a second than me sometimes. When I do have time, I'd rather choose.</p>

<p>You know, it didn’t even occur to me…does the 5D / 5DII even have one of those

“modem dial” thingies? I’ll have to check mine…I’ve kinda just

always assumed that they’re regular ol’ manual cameras. Being digital and all, I

suppose it wouldn’t surprise me if one of those fancy new automatic buttons got welded on

somewhere, but I’ve yet to stumble across it….</p>

<p>Cheers,</p>

<p>b&</p>