How many still use film?

<p>Still alive, and shooting 35mm, and 120 B&W. If, and when I ever get my main PC working again. I'll do some scans of my silver gelatin prints, but I only do that to post online. I also have my basement darkroom where I do all my lab work. I use my old Oly digital for ebay photosor some thing I need to post quickly. </p>

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>If I could afford to, I'd print platinum from 8x10" glass plates. I shoot everything in sight-- several formats in film, digital, stop signs out in the country, you name it.</p>

<p>But, as came up the other day in a point and shoot question, it's not about a bunch of weird guys and gals (you know who I mean) getting nostalgic, it's what the vast public is shooting that will determine the future of film. I would guess that there will be enough of a niche market that film will still be made in places like the former Jugoslavia, etc. and sold by outfits like Freestyle. I think it won't be long before everything but throw-away film cameras are about all you'll find (if that) at the local Walgreens.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I think it won't be long before everything but throw-away film cameras are about all you'll find (if that) at the local Walgreens.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>While it certainly seems that this is the trend... I wonder... is it possible that the market is now too saturated with p&s digital cameras? I say this thinking about all of the millions of photos people take with these things - but never bother to offload to a computer, or printer... let alone archiving. I know several people who, literally, go out and buy a new flash card when the one they're using fills up!</p>

<p>I think that part of the reason folks switch "back" to film from digital is because the film process forces you to "do something" with your photos if you ever want to see them again - as opposed to digital, where you can look at it right after you take it, and then never look at it again. Going through the pain of development, scanning, enlarging, etc, makes you realize that photography is not cheap, and therefore is something to be valued.</p>

<p>My darkroom is my therapy session. I've also taken to cutting own mats and mounting. I love my digital XTi and enjoy the quality and control I have over the outcomes. But working in medium format with my Rolleicord and Mamiya 645 is zen-like. I live in both worlds and am yet but a stranger to both..lol..ok..its corny. Cheers!</p>

<p>I still use film. Plain ole black and white film is still my favorite. I like it better, and I think I do better with it. </p>

<p>While you are waiting for your photos, think about those guys who have spent months out there without seeing the results! Good luck with your pictures. </p>

<p>I own an absurdly extravagant arsenal of digital gear: A Nikon D3x with a whole bunch of lenses and a Mamiya ADF with a digital back and a whole bunch of lenses. But I still prefer film for some things.</p>

<p>A job may sometimes dictate the use of digital equipment, as when time is a major factor, and often the cost of film and processing would bust the budget. But there are times when I need to make wall sized enlargements. For those occasions I stick a film back on the Mamiya or, if the situation allows, I crank up the old Cambo 4X5.</p>

<p>But if I'm just shooting for myself, I really like using Ektar 100, scanned on my Nikon CS9000, edited in Photoshop, and printed on my HP z3200. I think that's the best of both worlds.</p>

<p>Film is all I shoot, all types too. I have a holga for 120 and supposed to be given a rollei. I wish I could get my hands on color slide infrared by kodak. I used it once and when I saw the results I found out it was discontinued. I still have three roles of the black and white in the fridge. I go to a custom lab that prints optically either color or black and white. They do cross processing of my slide film and make custom prints enlargements of any type of film I need.. I recently posted. "what film cameras do you use." Thank you.</p>

<p>First of all many thanks to the folks who took the time to respond to my initial post. I think that the use of film is alive and well albeit now well overtaken by digital. I personally still have Mamiya and Nikon film kit. Recently I have entered digital which is good fun to use and definately has a place in modern photography but I still get a buzz out of film.<br>

Steve said "Why do you care, and why is this important?"<br>

I do care about photography and you can see from photo net that countless others do as well. The reason why I care is that it means I go to interesting and beautiful places, meet lots of interesting people, and get a great satisfaction from my modest results. <br>

Photography is referred to as an art, craft, profession or whatever. However, whatever name you give it millions get something out of it and I don't just mean filthly lucre. It provides an outlet for the creativity of many and for the most part does little harm.<br>

Thanks again to all who contributed may I wish you all continued enjoyment of phtography.</p>

<p>The nice thing is that everyone is different and likes different things, and that's the way it should be.</p>

<p>Some people often say <em>"it doesn't matter what the process is, it's only the final image that matters"</em> . Well, for some people that may be true but for others, including me, the whole process is important and you should choose the one which you enjoy.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I went back to film after shooting digital for years largely account of blown out highlights. I'm not slamming digital but I shoot a lot of water shots and the highlight problem was continual with the equipment that I had. So, I thought that I would try to solve the problem without spending a huge amount on a full frame that might possibly solve the problem. I needed more tonal range. After going back to film for a couple of months I felt that my overall quality of images took a definite positive jump. I have been shooting film almost exclusively for a year now and have no plans to return to digital except for work shots. I have upgraded my film equipment and expanded it as well. I am just totally satisfied. I am now developing b&w and enjoying that as well. It is just simply a matter of to each their own.</p>

<p>I'm constantly using film and hardly using my D700 of late. My biggest passion in life, at least right now, is photography and within that, nothing moves me more than shooting black and white film, with slide film close behind. I used my N80 for a year and now I've graduated to an F5. I love shooting film.</p>

<p>I've gone from knowing nothing but what the average person does about film (i.e. hardly anything) to discovering a still-wide range of films available for use and what goes into making good exposures for different films, among other things. </p>

<p>35mm film is dead (for all practical purposes of course). <br /> No more new cameras (at least Minolta/Sony/Oly, Nikon, & Canon). Still a huge inventory of top functioning, "like new" used ones on the market, like the EOS-3 I bought a year ago or so.</p>

Ken I think that from the responses to my question 35mm film is not dead. Fuji have also recently brought out a new medium format film camera and Nikon are still selling their excellent F6 film camera. You are right about "like new" used cameras as I have just purchased a mint F5 which is a joy to use and a fraction of the price of a new digital even at the consumer end of the market.

What does suprise me is the number of people who are returning to film which I think is a good sign for everyone.

<p>I shoot mostly film because I'm more familiar and comfortable with film cameras, though I'm also a computer geek and have been for many years. Do have a K100D I inherited from my son when he jumped to a K20D, and I use it. Even bought 3 digital lenses for it myself.</p>

<p>My local pro shop told me emphatically that they are in film processing for the long haul. They've been in business about 125 years now, first as a saddle shop, then photography. In fact, the last time I was in, a week ago, a local photographer had just dropped off 100 rolls of film for them to develop.</p>

<p>I don't request development and prints per visit anymore, though. Instead I ask them to scan my negatives to CD for me - cost $2.99US. That way, I get the best of both worlds and save money in the process by not having to pay for hard copy prints that suck.</p>