Do you "admit" to being a photographer?

LindaM

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Since I started exhibiting and selling my work several years ago, I have been identifying myself as a photographer on my site and business card. But I would *never* call myself a "fine art" photographer or an artist. Art is in the eyes of the beholders.<br>

Since my photography sales do not make up a significant portion of my income, I don't consider myself a professional and will respond to any inquiry as such. Amateur photographers should take pride being amateurs. Their work can be just as good, if not better, as those by the professionals.</p>

<p><em>"...how many of you when asked are proud to say you are a photographer, or do you shy away from admitting you are one?"</em></p>

<p>Like all professions and avocations, there are DEGREES of being.</p>

<p>You can say you are a cyclist: from 1. You ride a bike .... to 10. You are Paid WELL to race and ride. I am definitely a cyclist, maybe a 7.5 on this scale.</p>

<p>You say you are a photographer: 1. You own a cheapie P&S and really know nothing .... to 10. You are a fulyl paid pro photo.</p>

<p>I am definitely a photographer, more "10" than "1". Maybe an 8? ;-) Why be shy? In fact, shyness inhibits most photography (unless you are a total loner landscaper).</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"You can say you are a cyclist: from 1. You ride a bike .... to 10. You are Paid WELL to race and ride. I am definitely a cyclist, maybe a 7.5 on this scale."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Ken, everyone's a cyclist but few will associate the title with being an accomplished athlete; maybe that's the difference - people are (still) inclined to associate "photographer" with "artist".</p>

<p>There are many examples, particularly in the arts: any teenager who can strum three chords or play a partial riff from a 70s rock tune is a "guitarist", any kid who can play a few notes poorly is a "pianist". Let's not even talk about "singers".<em> </em></p>

<blockquote></blockquote>

<p>I am a boat builder. I've only built two boats, but they're good boats. I don't plan to sell my new boat, or any boats. Most people who build these boats do so to use them, not to sell them. If their boat floats, they can call them self a boat builder, or say that they built a boat. Some day I hope to build another boat, but in the mean time, I am a photographer. Why can I say that? Maybe because I read lots of photography books, use a tripod, and think real hard about what is happening with the light. I also read several books, and many articles about boat building. I sometimes like to play my harmonica, but I am not a musician.</p><div>00VQNm-206921584.jpg.c92d3d336b73ca31a86f9d249b7b95f1.jpg</div>

<p>And are you a cyclist when you ride a bike? No... I rode a bike (daily for several years, all that time not being a cyclist). When I prepare a meal, I cook. I'm not a cook. When I fix a lightswitch at home, I am not a electrician. The example of people calling themselves singers and all that: that is hitting exactly the point of this discussion for me. If you are deluded about your skills, or genuinely skilled, you may be tempted to call yourself "singer", "musician" or "photographer". But in reality, for the majority with moderate skills: you sing, make music or take photos. Quite a different implicit meaning.</p>

<p>So, I only admit to being a photographer when somebody wants to take a picture of me.. I am camera-shy on the other end of the lens, so I twist the truth a bit to escape the photo.<br>

Otherwise, I do some photography as a hobby and like to take pictures. But the word <em>photographer</em> has an implication way beyond my skills and talent. I'm certainly not pro, nor do I want to leave such that impression. So, I will be hard pressed to call myself a photographer - because I'm not.</p>

<p>Perhaps for one to view themselves as anything (an identity) requires a certain amount of thought; we need to 'grow' into the identity. We are already doing all of the actions linked to that identity, we have camera's, we take photos, sometimes going to great lengths to get a particular shot (I have three green ant bites on my legs from lying down flat out on the grass just now to get the shots I wanted in my back yard) and going out specifically to take photos, in other words, we have the passion and we put it into action at every opportunity! But it might take another person to tell us (by asking us) that we are photographers (on some level). For myself, I have never actually been asked, but when I am in the public taking photos and I want to check with anyone (out of respect) if it’s ok to take a photo of their shop front or goods on the shelf or whatever, I always say I’m an amateur photographer, and I want to shoot this particular thing or aspect of the shop for my own interest. If I was ever asked by another photographer, I would have to say that I regard myself as a serious amateur. <br>

As others have pointed out, it is the actions we do that tell us where we are at as photographers. Do I make money from my photos? No. Correct me if I’m wrong, but a ‘professional’ anything implies that it is a ‘career’ or a ‘profession’ for the individual, and that they get paid for their work in that area. <br>

As to my original point, I am a full time Phd student, and that took me some three months or so before I could actually accept or believe that fact. Why? I had been working very hard and towards that goal for some 10 years, and to finally be able to start my PhD was quite surreal for a while, I can tell you. But, after performing the actions for a few months, it finally sunk in. Before then I kept waiting for the tap on the shoulder and someone telling me “I’m so sorry, there seems to have been a mistake, please leave quietly so you don’t disturb the <strong >real</strong> Phd students in this room”. </p>

<p>Linda, <br>

I completely identify myself with the reluctant side to admit I am a photographer that you presented as discussion topic. Perhaps it is mostly because of lack of confidence in me, and the fact that I really haven't have any training, or have expensive equipment, just a basic DSLR a couple of lenses. I see great work and pictures here in PN, and many times I think "I wish my pictures were as good as some of the ones I see here and in other places". Probably a little bit of shyness and a lot of lack of exposure makes me say, I am amateur or it is my hobby, but I am very passionate about it. I would love to have the time and resources to take more pictures and refine my photography work to proudly respond yes I am a photographer. <br>

Yes, shyly I admit to myself and few family member, I consider myself a photographer based on the work I have done and how much I love to get a great picture, but admitting it to others is like comparing myself to many great photographers in this forum, and it is a different story. </p>

<p> " I really haven't have any training, or have expensive equipment, just a basic DSLR a couple of lenses. " Miguel, your training and your equipment are irrelevant; your photographs are what matter and the ones you have posted are quite good-I'd love to see more. I don't think that you have anything to be shy about. Happy shooting! cb :-)</p>

<p>On a recent trip to Vietnam, I was walking around with a camera hanging under each arm, one of them with a zoom telephoto lens. A few times strangers asked, "Are you a professional?" My answer was, "No, I'm just a hobbyist." If someone were to ask me whether I was a photographer, the implication to me would be professional photographer and I would give the same answer. But no one has asked me whether I'm a photographer.</p>

<p>I don't usually "admit" to being a photographer unless caught red-handed, such as when someone is looking at my photo album(s), and then the question most often asked is...</p>

<p>"Are you a professional?"</p>

<p>... Or, when I have said device hanging around my neck activating the picture taking thingy mechanism with the diopter pressed into my eyeball/glasses...</p>

<p>If questioned when neither event is occuring, I will mumble "maybe" or hurl some actual photographs at them and ask them if <strong><em>they</em></strong> think I'm a photographer (see first sentence, second part)</p>

<p>at this specific point in time I will call myself a photo.net contributor...</p>

<p>Geez... no one has ever asked me. The cops wanted to know if I was casing the neighborhood with my camera, and a few people asked, "Why are your taking pictures?", but not, "Are you a photographer?". I guess I would have to say "no", if anyone ever did ask. I take pictures for fun. If someone paid me a dollar for a photo, or a camera around my neck would get me special entry somewhere, I might say "of course I am". Until that happens, I'm just a happy camper who likes taking pictures of "stuff". I bet I could play one on TV though. ;-)</p>