Do you still project slides ?

didier

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I was rather astonished to find out that most people outside of the photography community do not remember or have not even heard of slides. Everybody the same age as myself that was born in the mid to late 80s seems to have never seen a slide show.</p>

<p>Fortunately, I was spared from not seeing slides because my elementary school science teacher was into photography and would show us slide shows once or twice a week during the 4th grade, and so did my history teacher during the 6th grade.</p>

<p>I have negative sleeves upon sleeves upon sleeves of slides I have taken for the last 25+ years but never mounted, p Primarily because I intended on printing them. Many of them have been printed and I have scanned quite a few more. In most respects I am glad I never mounted them because they are a whole lot easier to print and scan with out the 2 x 2 mounts</p>

<p>

<p>It has been over 10 years since I projected a slide, which is about how long ago the bulb burned out on our projector. I find prints work better for viewing photo, don’t need to turn off the lights and the person viewing the prints can set the pace of how long to look at each photo.</p>

</p>

<p>Yes, I too still project slides. And use a mid-50's Prado 150 most of the time (all laugh). Perfectly silent--manual change and no fan! Use both a 50mm Elmar f3.5 (fixed diaphragm projection version) for personal, near range viewing and a 100mm Dimaron for more distant screen projection. A lens change requires a condenser change as well, but quick and easy. Always fun to admire the aspheric primary condenser on the old 150 anyway. Beleive this projector type (and probably the earlier Parvo) probably represented the initial application of aspheric optics by Leitz.</p>

<p>After a couple years of looking for one and waiting, I found a mint Leica Pradovit RT with a 90mm 2.5 Super Colorplan lens for a steal last year, $600. I bought a brand new Dalite 7x7 foot screen and the combo is jaw dropping, better than a light table. So as I travel for my project, I will be doing slide shows for educational institutions and public venues, nothing is better than Kodachrome projected like this, nothing at all. I wish I could afford a PCP-80 for I would put my XPan slides in special mounts and then dissolve them into the show for full effect, but those things are over $1,300 consistently.</p>

<p>I'm glad to see that I'm not the only luddite here! I regularly project my medium format slides using a Leitz Prado Universal (circa 1970's) and glass mounted Velvia and Kodak 100VS slides. Absolutely no comparison when compared to digital projection.<br>

Don't know what I'm going to do when film becomes unavailable.... </p>

<p>I just started to shoot slides last year, and bought my self a nice old projector, to enjoy them on the wall. I love digital, but slides on the wall really brought something new for me. Colors on the slide are better than anything else, and it's much easier to remember how it was that day when that one shot was made. I don't shoot much slides, but I will certainly shoot a few rolls of it in next few months, and enjoy them on the wall! It's interesting that today i should pick up developed and mounted roll of Velvia, I can hardly wait! :)</p>

<p>All your comments are so refreshing : yes, projecting slides is a wonderful experience. I too have about 10 rolls of Kodachrome to shoot in 2010... and hope to shoot Velvia in the mountains for the next 50 years ;-) (I'll be 86 then...).</p>

<p>Didier</p>

<p>Another slide devotee here! I shoot both digital and film and appreciate both in their own right. I've formed the question in my mind that perhaps we should regard the two mediums separately rather than by direct comparison? Whatever, I certainly enjoy viewing my transparencies in 35mm, 6x4.5 and 4x5 formats. I recently bought an old 35mm Hanimex RT2500 projector; it's no Leica or Rollie but still plenty good enough to really enjoy my Elite Chromes. When I was hunting it down I even came across a Beseler Slide King 4x5 projector for sale in the States!<br>

I wonder if slides could make a comeback someday? Especially if our younger photographic brethren were to be exposed (no pun intended) to the beauty of slides.</p>

<p>Sure do. Two Leica Pradovit P2xxxs. IR remote Colorplan/Super-Colorplan. Outstanding experience. Any comparison with prints is pointless, slides beat them everytime in quality and vivid experience, but not convenience. Its no big deal for me-all my slides are in trays and sorted and GePe mounted.</p>

<p>I'm not taking slides at the present (mainly digital), but my photo collection is pretty well all there and 90% as Kodachromes.</p>

Robin Smith

<p>Took the advice and as well some of my own intuition and sold my Nikon D90 and related glass. Happily back in the slide game. Let's see, two Kodak Carousel projectors freshly overhauled, and two Elmo slide projectors, all for the Kodak Carousel system all in regular use. For me digital is a pain, I have do the work.<br>

Good processing in two or three different local locations, even Dwayne's in a foreign country.<br>

And fifty or sixty very full 600 slide boxes of colour slides, mostly of railways, motorcycles and pipe organs over the years.<br>

When Kodachrome is gone, there is still Sensia or Provia E-6. Not the same, but then what is these days?</p>

<p>I got an invitation from a 79 year old photographer for a 'slide veiwing evening'. Thought this will be so boring. Not a bit of it. Slide show with music and a few beers. Now this is photography. No discussion on pixels/lenses/Nikon/Canon etc. Brilliant. Lights dimmed and the show started. I was stunned. The colours,the detail - just amazed me. This is the way to go.</p>

<p>Up until last year, though I owned 2 DSLR cameras, I still shot mostly film, both negs and sometimes slides. Lately I have been shooting more digital, but still do shoot some film. Right now I have some slide film in the fridge, and my old Bell & Howell projector sits at the ready on a side table.</p>

<p>I still project every roll that I shoot. To me, this is the best part of shooting slide film. Even though digital images are becoming the norm these days, digital projection cannot match the quality of slide projection. <br>

If you get a chance to get into MF film projection, it is a different world in itself. It's that good.</p>

<p>Well, its now 2,5 years ago I took my latest Provia 100F film in stereo (24x33)x2 and still didnt mount the slides. I project the slides with two Leica P300. Its a new years promise that I will take a roll E6 or more this year and mount the slides ( in mono). I am not convinced about stereo thou.</p>

<p>I have a 8 month girl now, and want to show her projected slides in a couple of years. Its cumbersome but very nice.</p>

<p>I started down this path, thanks to the enthusiasm on this forum, purchasing a Da-Lite screen and a vintage but mint Pradovit-Color slide projector with a Colorplan lens. Of course, I also had to buy a film camera, ending up with three, an SL, SL2 and an R5, and various lenses, none of which were very expensive thanks to advice given here. Then there was the all important decision as to which slide film to use. Recently I learned that the local WalMart overnight photo service processes slide film inexpensively in a professional Fuji lab.</p>

<p>So far I really like what I see! Thanks to all for the earlier posts on this subject that helped with the many decisions along the way.</p>

<p>I still shoot slides, but the last time I checked them out through a projector has been awhile. It funny people decry analog as being old fashioned as some post noted. For a comparatively small investment these days, analog provides a much larger image for viewing. While the price of LCD, plasma and digital devices continues to decline, for image size, analog projection is cheaper. It offers better image quality, too.</p>