APS sensor

dinesh.godavarty

<p>I currently have a rebel XSi. It's a neat little camera and I like it. I like the kit lens it comes with, but it's getting on my nerves with the front focussing element. I am thinking of buying the canon 17-85 mm lens for these kind of sensors. However, I want to be as cheap as possible. So my concern is how long will these sized sensors last? I hope at least for the next few years so I can get back what I paid for the lens ..</p>

<p>I believe the 17-85 is being discontinued but APS-C sensors will be around for a while ( much more then 2 years ). Canon just introduced the 7D along with new EF-S lenses so I would not worry about it going away anytime soon.</p>

<p>Not to mention the current price difference between full frame sensor cameras and APS-C sensor cameras. I think it will be a long time (if ever) before entry level cameras come with a full frame sensor. The resultant price increase in consumer level cameras would likely scare away too many new buyers. And since Canon can continue to make money off of their current crop sensor linup, there's no reason to get rid of it.</p>

<p>I feel certain APS-C will be around at least 10 more years and perhaps for much longer.</p>

<p>As Mark points out, Canon's cheapest current full-frame camera costs $2,700. Saying "Canon will discontinue APS-C next year!" is equivalent to saying "Canon will stop selling all cameras costing less than $2,500 next year!". I think we can count on APS-C being around until full frame cameras are cheap.</p>

<p>...And even when full frame is cheap, why would they discontinue APS-C? Full frame may be better for many things, but it isn't better at *everything*. Most notably, for telephoto, APS-C will always be able to get an equivalent field of view with a smaller camera and lens.</p>

<p>I don't think crop size sensors will disappear anytime soon. There are distinct advantages, most notably compacter/cheaper bodies and lenses. The advantages of FF lie elsewhere and are hardly worth it for the vast majority of amateurs.<br>

There is no reason why both formats couldn't coexist.</p>

<p>The question was basically what is the relaibility of the sensor not when will APS-C sensors be discontinued. </p>

<p>Denish, the sensors don't wear out. A new sensor will work as well as one that has taken 1 million pictures. However that said water, static electricity, or dropping the camera can cause some to fail. However in most cases other parts of the camera will wear out long before the sensor fails. For example if you took 1 million pictures with a camera you would have probably had the shutter replaced several times and replaced the battery about a dozen time (or more).</p>

<p>Someday, probably, everything will be electronic-- the shutter, the viewfinder, everything. But it's not going to happen tomorrow, and if you hold your breath for it you'll expire long before it gets here. Your camera's weak point is not the sensor, it's the mechanical parts like the mirror and shutter. The "entry" cameras are not made for as many "actuations" (read shots) as the higher priced ones, but by the time they wear out they will have been obsolete or obsolescent for a fair while, but will still be as good as they were the day they were made right up to the end.</p>

<p>RE: # of actuations, Bryan at <a href="http://www.the-digital-picture.com">www.the-digital-picture.com</a> states that even the last generation of Rebels (XS, XSi, T1i) are equipped with shutters rated at 100k actuations. I have heard reports of people who have used a rebel well beyond that number. Unless you're doing heavy daily shooting or lots of action, that's going to last you a while.</p>

<p>Greg do you have a more specific url for that? I searched for "Bryan +actuation" at the site and got nothing but the utility (Windows only and not for the older models) and no place where there was anything identifiable as what you're referring to.</p>