APX 100..... in or out of production?

giverin

<p>I'm confused. I've read about APX 100 35mm being out of production but my stockist still has it and their web site states "Yes it's back and at a very competetive price", implying that its back in production.<br>

Agfa's own web site still lists it and doesn't say that its discontinued. <br>

<a href="http://www.agfaphoto.com/appc/content_manager/page.php?ID=193734&dbc=93d25cd0a7e330c02680ceb1a0f6a3b9">http://www.agfaphoto.com/appc/content_manager/page.php?ID=193734&dbc=93d25cd0a7e330c02680ceb1a0f6a3b9</a><br>

Does anyone know what the situation is? I'd like to know if I should stockpile a load of the stuff and keep it in the fridge or will I be able to buy it as and when I need it in the future.</p>

<p>The "film" (emulsion) is indeed no longer in "production" but before Agfa turned off and decommissioned (and scrapped) their facility they made a LOT (a whoooooole lot) of APX-100. The market is filled with APX-100s that were made into films during those final days AND the market is filled with even more that have been cut down and made into film cartridges by 3rd parties--- including the current licensees of the Agfaphoto brand (Lupus). Properly stored APX-100 will be good for some time and given the current stocks and rate of consumption we'll have APX-100 for some years to come.... Its a g-r-e-a-t film at g-r-e-a-t prices (and my fridge is filled)</p>

<p>Mine too!<br>

If you wish to use it, there is nothing on the market quite like it, but Kodak Plus-X is close. OTOH, should you stockpile it is a decision entirely up to you and anyone you may be answering too . . . like a spouse or significant other who fails to understand its importance! :-)</p>

<p>"Re-badging APX"? Yes (and no). Mahn and Co (MACO) sell via the licensed Rollei brand (recall the camera maker is now Franke & Heidecke, currently bankrupt and being dissolved, also a licensee of the Rollei brand) APX-100 emulsion that has been cut-down and packaged (confectioned) by a sub-contractor. Retro-100, I think, differs from APX-100 in the manner in which its cut--- although I'm not quite sure about the current generation of APX-100 flowing into the market as Agfaphoto from Lupis given that they too are I'd assume cut-down more recently--- and packaging (Agfa APX-100 came/comes in gas flushed canisters). The Agfaphoto APX-100 is APX-100 (more or less) but not all Agfaphoto is Agfa--- for example, Agfaphoto Vista and Agfaphoto Precisa Diapositive/Slide film (Kodak EB-100 but down down by ???). The whole Agfa (and not just) branding and product spectrum is quite confusing.. a lot of empty shells, OEMs (even Kodak these days sells "white box") and even squatted brands (lapsed brand names that have been newly registered by non-related entities to exploit the allure of old)... and a whole lot of intentional smoke and mirrors (who makes what, what is ...). The market is also filled with Agfa films that were purchased in the final sell-out and there are films that seem to use some updated Agfa technology.. The bottom line (blowing the smoke aside) is: Agfaphoto APX-100 (Lupus), Rollei Retro-100 etc. are all GOOD films and I think one can use them without reservations.</p>

<p>I have some of the Agfa APX100 (and 400) in both 35mm and 120 sizes. I find that the 100 speed film when used in 120 size can be interesting because an 8X10 will not have much grain. When I consider either APX film I don't think either was or is as good as other films of the same speed. APX100 is far more grainy than ACROS or Delta 100 or TMX and APX 400 is much more grainy than Tri-X, Neopan 400, Delta 400 or TMY2. Even the traditional films like Plus-X are FP4+ seem nicer to me than APX100. I enjoyed using the old Agfapan 400 and was disappointed when it was discontinued. </p>