I need college courses in photography

NimArt

<p>Hi<br>

I am an Iranian living in Iran-Tehran and would really would like to study in the USA. Does anyone know of any<br>

good universities in the USA that offer a bachelore's program in photography? I am not a rich man so private<br>

schools will likely be above my means. Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>Someone told me once that the University of Georgia, located in Gainseville, GA (north of the capital city Atlanta) has a good photography program. (I have not verified that information).</p>

<p>Another school in Georgia is SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design). They are based in Savannah GA (on east coast) and also have a branch in downtown Atlanta. I have heard they teach photography.</p>

<p>There is also a college down in Florida called "Ringling". I believe its oriented more towards art but probably also teaches photography. I hear they have smaller class sizes, so you get more access to professor's attention.</p>

<p>Some of these schools may even offer 'distance learning' programs, where they email you the lessons, you study them and work and them and return the completed lessons and get college credit at the end of the course. That would get you started. Be sure you ask your prospective colleges if they offer that option.</p>

<p>Good luck in your search.</p>

<p>Rochester Institute of Technology in Rochester, New York is excellent.<br>

Rochester is the home city of Eastman Kodak, so RIT has been at the forefront of imaging technology for over a century. It's a big technology school with lots of engineering and IT majors, so the cross pollination of the artistic nature of photography with the technology of digital imaging is beyond compare. They still teach film, in case you're into that.</p>

<p>Besides the nomination of RIT, I second the recommendation of SCAD in Savannah. Both have pipelines to Pixar Studios for their computer animation design students. That's not the same as photography, of course, but they're both very image oriented universities.<br>

SCAD has a very unique campus situation, located in and about the old Revolutionary War city of Savannah. RIT has been in Rochester for over 100-years, but an all-new campus was built in the 1970s in the middle of wetlands, just South of Rochester. Savannah has mild, but muggy weather and Rochester gets the worst of winters on the Great Lakes, meaning very cold, dreary winters (by far its worst feature).<br>

Look at my Savvanah, Rochester and RIT Flickr Sets for some ideas of the communities at:<br>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcstep/sets/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcstep/sets/</a></p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Hi Nima,<br>

The New England School of Photography in Boston, Massachusetts is a particularly good school for mastering the techniques and skill necessary to make a career in all aspects of photography. There are degrees in Fine Art (black and white and color), Editorial, Fashion, Documentary, Portraiture, Photojournalism, Advertising, Digital Arts, and Architectural. They do not however offer a bachelors degree, but a certificate/diploma. I run the Black and White Fine Art Program there, so I am a little biased. Check us out at www.nesop.com.</p><div>00UhL8-179031584.jpg.c6cfb81ccf7b844d4e9e5ac06fcf1543.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Nima,<br>

The New England School of Photography in Boston, Massachusetts is a particularly good school for mastering the techniques and skill necessary to make a career in all aspects of photography. There are degrees in Fine Art (black and white and color), Editorial, Fashion, Documentary, Portraiture, Photojournalism, Advertising, Digital Arts, and Architectural. They do not however offer a bachelors degree, but a certificate/diploma. I run the Black and White Fine Art Program there, so I am a little biased. Check us out at www.nesop.com.</p>