Canon 50 mm FD 1.8 with FD- EOS adapter no glass

adalbert_neuendorf

Adalbert, the problem is your glass-less adapter acts as an extension tube which turns your lens into a closer-focusing

macro-ish device. Adapters with their own optics can restore the normal range of focus but the price is image

degradation, often unacceptable...which poison do you prefer, sir?

I personally like the EdMika adapters far more than anyone else's but the cost is very high and they don't make one for

every FD lens. They also do EF mount conversions of certain FD lenses, that is probably outside the scope of our discussion

here.

Would you consider Canon's new EF 50/1.8 STM? It is inexpensive and an excellent little performer!

Given the reasons outlined above, its seems like a lot of unnecessary brain damage trying to adapt most FD lenses to an EOS camera, especially since in your previous post, just a few days ago, you seemed to really like your EF50mm f1.8II. If you want to try an adapted lens, most Pentax screw mount or old Nikon F mount lenses work OK since they have a longer flange to film distance than EOS.

<p>The film-to-flange distance on EF is actually 2 mm longer than on FD. An adapter that preserves infinity focus cannot be made without optics as it would have to be negative 2mm thick. That said, the EF-M mount used by the EOS-M series is 24mm shorter than FD and so can adapt it as a stop-down lens with a cheap adapter no problem. In short it's difficult to adapt old manual focus lenses to modern autofocus SLR cameras, but very easy to do so with mirrorless cameras.</p>

<p>Adapting FD to EOS is more or less pointless, even with adapters who have a glass element. I once tried a quite good one by Fotodiox and was very diappointed by the image quality. Especially when you want to adapt lenses such as a 50mm one, that are easily accessible in the EF range.<br>

That said, I mus admit that I enjoy quite a few of my many FD glasses on the EOS M via a cheap EF-F/FD-adaptor, just like Steven Clarke mentioned. In that way, my old FD lenses have made a leap into the digital future. I especially enjoy my FD 1,2/50mm and FD 2,8/135mm. The FD 3,5/50mm macro is also wonderful to use.</p>