PHOTOSHOP!!

miz_miah

<p><em>"... oh sorry, forgot the illegal aspect of it! woops... i shall try gimp and paint.net then! thank you for your response! ..."<br /> </em><br>

It's not "just" that it's illegal, it's wrong.</p>

<p>It's even more wrong than the academic integrity issue of copying and pasting some text or a figure into a school report without citing the source. I'm sure you have been instructed on this matter.</p>

<p>In both cases, you are depriving the person or people who generated the original material of the recognition or payment that they deserve. How would you like someone to steal something you worked on for years of your life?</p>

<p>A couple of years ago, I had a student team who obtained a several hundred dollar part for their (college) senior project for free by telling the manufacturer that they were evaluating it and might be purchasing thousands of these units. Under the threat of bringing them up on academic integrity charges, we made them contact the manufacturer, correct the misperception and offer to pay for the part.</p>

<p>Since you are in school, learn to take such issues seriously. Someday, it may be your work that is stolen.</p>

<p>Tom M<br>

Washington, DC</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"oh sorry, forgot the illegal aspect of it"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Uh-huh. If you know that it normally costs hundreds of dollars, why would you expect that downloading it for free would be legal (or ethical)? You may find that there are an above-average # photographers are also software developers who like being paid for their work. Once you finish your school you will probably also prefer that people pay for the privilege of benefiting from your work.</p>

<p>Fortunately, as others here already mentioned, Adobe has steeply discounted packages for students and there are numerous free alternatives.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>i think everyones going off subject!<br>

firstly, i was being sarcastic with my "forgot it's illegal remark". Looks like no one here apart from John Hanlon, Harry Joseph and John Hill know what a polite response is! I'm new to photography, and it's becoming a passion, and I was looking for advice about a piece of software I've read and heard about that helps photographers, I had no idea other software existed eg GIMP, that you can download for FREE!!<br>

i jus wanted some advice.. and John Hanlon gave me the best response (thanks John, your smashing!). I've just downloaded Gimp and I'm really happy about it, and I think it would be ideal for me before moving on to something more intircate like Photoshop (and also when i can afford it).<br>

Now, why dont the rest of you just delete ur boring political posts, because they don't answer my original question, which has already been answered anyway! Post your own question about the illegalities and politics. If you wanted, you could have posted something more constructive, because I'm sure alot of students and adults who AREN'T rich do consider downloading illegally and have no idea that software like GIMP exist. Why don't you take your snobby, law-abiding remarks somewhere else. The cue in the original post was "free". I was looking for FREE software! Now I found it.<br>

Thanks again. God Bless America!</p>

<p>** I take it back, Harry Joesph, you're just rude too.<br>

Anyways, moving on.. the queston was answered.<br>

When I figure out how to make my pictures smaller on GIMP, i shall we expecting you all to give (unconstructive) crtitiques to my photos!<br>

thank you.</p>

<p>Fahmida, you probably won't believe it, but the responses about legality that you received were almost certainly sent to you with the best of intentions, namely, to help you avoid problems later in life because you seemed to take this issue much too lightly. <br>

Your response back is similar to the responses I often receive from from students who have been (correctly) accused of stealing or attempting to procure stolen work (eg, term papers, projects, etc). I don't argue with them, I simply send the case to our academic integrity office (which is composed of both students and faculty). 99% of the time, they are found guilty. The usual consequence at our school is that they fail the course, which means that their graduation is delayed by at least one year. The students then at least believe that someone takes such matters seriously.</p>

<p>Dismiss the importance of this matter if you want, but, if this is your attitude, it will almost certainly eventually catch up with you.</p>

<p>Tom M<br>

Washington, DC</p>

<p>Tom, i much appreciate yours and everyone elses intentions then. But I was looking for FREE software (even a trial if it exists), and not to commit a crime today! Btw, i'm not a student in photography, it's just a hobby. Someone else gave me a FREE software to look up and I chose that (GIMP), which maybe shows, instead of my obvious criminal mind, that I wanted a software to help me with photography because I was unaware there was free software out there in the first place.. does this make sense?<br>

I was also told, politely, by the first person who responded to me that they wouldnt give illegal websites (aswell as the rest of photnet).. and as you can see from my polite response back (with gentle sarcastic humour), i chose to go with GIMP.<br>

And as for things catching up with me, i dont think so! I dont download illegal things. i was looking for a free version of photoshop, not illegal, and since there isn't a FREE version, someone pointed me to a software that was free and LEGAL. thats all i wanted. anyways, thank you all for your responses, kind intentions and bullying! (joke).<br>

Chill out, Tom, i was just kidding in my second response anyway. You should be happy i chose to go with GIMP and not try to look for (illegal) downloads for Photoshop :) My childhood innocence emerging there I think. I am on youtube now looking for GIMP tutorials. If anyone has advise regarding GIMP, please let me know. So far I have learnt to blur spots and acne yay! <br>

thanks all! Please wish me luck, I'm trying to make my image sizes small! x</p>