Paterson Tank - Repair?

<p>Hi,<br />I have an 8 reel Paterson developing tank with a broken central column - however, the break is such that it should be easy to glue back together.<br />Question is - what sort of glue would be best to use in terms of its interaction with the chemistry used in the tank? Anyone with either good or bad experiences of repairing plastic tanks?<br />Thanks - Martyn</p>

<p>Replace it. There's no way to guarantee any adhesive won't interfere with photo chemistry.</p>

<p>I've never found that any superglue will stick anything together except skin (which, incidentally, is what <a href="http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2187/was-super-glue-invented-to-seal-battle-wounds-in-vietnam">cyanoacrylate glues have occasionally been used for successfully</a> ). There are epoxies that can mend irreplaceable parts, including strengthening joints by partially dissolving the original plastic. But, again, there's no way to guarantee it won't interfere with processing. Since Paterson parts are available, replacement is the best option.</p>

<p>I just round the Paterson chemistry needs to 300 mL, which is very metric to me. 500 mL for a roll of 120. Very easy.</p>

<p>I use a Jobo tank and several Patersons. I like them both. I find the Patersons slightly easier to use.</p>

<p>There is no 8-roll Jobo tank, but you can get an extender for the Jobo tank that will let you take a total of 5 rolls of 35mm. In theory you could add two extenders, I suppose, but the Paterson is nice in that it is a single tank without extra seams to leak.</p>

<p>You can replace each item at the Jobo tank which is very convenient. I have both but I like the Jobo most. Also the Jobo lid is going to leak (when it has been in use for years...) but it can be easily replaced.<br>

Jobo has a tight minimum volume which spares on longer time some chemicals in volume.</p>

<p>I would look for a complete tank on eBay and failing that I'd buy a new piece. What's nice about the Paterson tanks is that even the long ones can be filled and emptied very quickly. Most damage to paterson tanks is caused by banging them on the bottom to dislodge air bubbles. If you tap the side of the tank with your palm you will accomplish the same thing and not damage the tank.</p>