The best M42 mount classic all manual/mechanical SLR ever.

<p>Hi all! I'm in a predicament..and I think (or rather I hope) you guys can help me. I have a very modest collection of classic manual cameras, which consists of about 5 SLR's from the 70's era. 3 of those are in M42 mount, and they are the one I love best because of the gamut of fabulous, cheap lenses that are available for them. I have several nice M42 lenses now, and I'm looking to add more in the near future. However, somehow I feel that 3 M42 bodies are not enough..and it doesn't help that each of them have their own problems/limitations. So here comes the predicament, sorted by camera model (these are the ones I have now):<br>

<br /><br>

1. Asahi Pentax Spotmatic SP500 : This one has shutter curtain problems, whereby at 1/500 or 1/750 (the speed one click past 1/500), the whole right half of my photos are completely dark, unexposed. I don't know if my local repairman can repair this..somehow I doubt it. Other than that, it's perfect...I have sorted out the battery replacement problem and it's a real joy to use. But the shutter curtain issue seriously diminishes the pleasure I get from it...<br>

<br /><br>

On to the second one...<br>

<br /><br>

2. Fujica ST701: This one comes close to the Spotmatic. The VF is better/brighter, the size/weight is less than the Spottie and the lens is fabulous. The meter is still alive, but…I haven’t found a replacement battery for it, and the solutions I have found on the net (using a silver oxide batteries with O rings, compensating with the ASA dial) all didn’t work. The meter is still wonky and gives readings that are way way off the mark. So I have to use it with my handheld meter, a Leningrad 4, which to me is not ideal. I’d like to be able to use in-camera metering.<br>

<br /><br>

And lastly…<br>

<br /><br>

3. Fujica ST605: This one works well…so much so that it’s the one I have used the most. Modern batteries (no battery issues!), small, light, compact, good VF, accurate light meter, it almost has everything going for it, except for the….top shutter speed of 1/700. With my penchant for fast lenses and fast films, it’s a no-go. Plus, it’s not as ergonomic to use as the Spottie or the ST701, somehow…I can’t describe it. But it rather feels cheap compared to those two.<br>

<br /><br>

So, gentlemen (and ladies)…what do u guys think is the BEST all mechanical/manual/classic M42 mount SLR? I’d also greatly appreciate it if you can recommend me the aforementioned beast for the next time I click on eBay in my browser. Ideally, it should:<br>

<br /><br>

- Be all metal, no plastics! I’d like to be able to throw it at an oncoming baddie and inflict some<br>

serious brain damage<br>

- Be able to accept modern/readily available batteries without any excessive modifications<br>

- Have match needle metering…I’m a sucker for it..not so much for the LED’s<br>

- Have a vertical traveling metal curtain shutter, like the Yashica FX3…I have a feeling (or is it a<br>

misconception?) that they last longer and are less prone to develop problems than cloth shutters.<br>

- Have no lens mounting issues, like the Fujica ST801 which supposedly have locked lenses problem<br>

when mounted with different glass apart from their EBC Fujinon line.<br>

- Have a great or at least, decent, viewfinder. No Prakticas or Zenits please!<br>

- Have a top shutter speed of at least 1/1000.<br>

- Cheap! (or at least not as expensive as the Spotties are nowadays)<br>

- Reliable!<br>

<br /><br>

Haha, somehow I feel like I’m asking too much…but that’s what I need, mostly. Don’t recommend me another Spottie, I know how great they are and I’m bound to buy another one sooner or later. I’d like to hear about other models apart from the Spottie. I’m looking forward to hearing from you guys, and also your suggestions…heck, I think if you friendly lot here can’t help me out, then no one can! :D<br>

<br /><br>

Thanks in advance guys.<br>

<br>

<br>

</p>

<p > </p>

<p>I will recommend what I learned SLR photography with: A Mamiya Sekor 1000 TL. Stop-down metering, tough metal body. Also the DTL version which has both average and spot metering. Shutter is cloth, though.<br>

Also check out the Ricoh M42 SLR's. I'm not sure if any of them have metal shutters, but worth a look.</p>

<p>"it almost has everything going for it, except for the….top shutter speed of 1/700." How many mechanical focal plane shutters gave a true 1/1000 second? And, if they could, how long did they stay at that speed after frequent use? In any event, that's only 1/2 stop under 1/1000. If your fuji has silicon (or some other not-CDS) metering cell, that's what I would use. I would check with a competent repairman about the spotmatic - I think what you described can be fixed by adjusting the shutter curtain tension. The difficult part is finding a repairman willing to fix just one problem (if it's just an adjustment) without a minimum charge of US $ 100 or so.</p>

<p>I am surprised that you have so many M42 lenses and don't even mention the Praktica. Try the Praktica L-series. They have the top speed of 1/1000 sec., a flash sync at 1/125 sec, all metal bladed vertical shutters that need no adjustments. Except the L and L2 all other models have a meter coupled for stop down. The electric series LLC, PLCs and VLCs have full open metering with their electric lenses. The meter is adjustable and has a bridge circuit; so, it is not voltage dependent. you can use a variety of modern batteries [with paper shims to fit] that will give good results. They are also inexpensive, as the supply is still huge. [You can buy one on ebay-UK for less than $5.00 for the body.] Their construction is all metal, mostly mild steel and brass mechanism. The shutters are made of Swedish blade steel. The shell is aluminum. JDM and Steve Shepherd are authorities on the Praktica. I would check with them for any doubts. All the best. sp</p>

<p>I no longer have this camera and only two M42 lenses remain in my stable. I recommend a Chinon CE-3, it takes a combination winder/ intervalometer and any M42 ever made plus it can shoot manual as well as aperture preferred auto exposure with stepless shutter speeds, because of "instantaneous stop down metering" using Silicon Diode cell. If you could mount a "coke" bottle lens, it would meter correctly (although image might not be so perfect) LOL!!</p>

<p>It's the Contax S2 with an M42 adapter to me. After all, the first camera with the M42 mount was the Contax S. And how many mechanical-shuttered cameras (native M42 or not) can match the S2's 1/250 max flash sync speed? Forget about the Nikon FM2/FM3A, incompatible with M42 without an optical adapter.</p>

<p>If you can get away without a flash shoe and a self timer, the Praktica Super TL was always dependable for me. I've since picked up a flash shoe that fits and I have a Minori self timer that I picked up on the Bay from a very nice fellow in Australia. This camera uses the standard 625 battery for the meter. What? No Prakticas? No Zenits?? D'oh!!! Why not??? Just think of the charm of these battletanks. Even if you were to use one to ward off an undesirable and damage the camera in the process, you're not losing that much? To you I say "PRAKTICA" anyway. ;-)</p>

<p>Hi Dani. I would second Louis's recommendation for the Ricoh, if you want heavy and solid than this is it!<br>

The Pentaxes are still the best for you though, try for a good SP11 or SPF, should be plentiful and reasonably priced. When I think M42, I always think of a Pentax, they are a joy to use, but of course they are getting a little long on the tooth, so you should expect to have to get them serviced for regular use.<br>

This brings me back to your SP500. The shutter tapering problem that you have is quite common, and easily put right by a competent repairman. I would go down the route of getting you existing camera fully serviced and sticking with that. BTW, most repairers are more than happy to work on a Pentax.</p>

<p>This is really a bit of a long shot, but it has worked for me before. Try gently rubbing some napatha (Zippo etc.), on a Q-tip, along and inside the curtain rails of the Pentax. Once you've removed most of the gunk which you are almost bound to find, you may discover that the curtains function as they should once more.</p>

<p>I'm with Subbarayan. The Praktica L series is one of the best representatives of the whole line. It has a nice metal, vertical shutter. The models with TTL and the like are nice, but the original L, and the subsequent L2, etc models are absolutely rock solid and no need to worry whether the meter still works (a problem on any old camera, ask the Nikon F folks about their Photomics) since they don't have a meter. The VLC series with replaceable prism and many other possible accessories is the high point of the line. Mine came with an adapter to use more easily available batteries. These do need M42 lenses marked "electric" (this was one of the first electronic linkages for SLRs). The latter complication makes the plain-jane/john L series easier to use with your existing M42 lenses.</p><div>00ULu8-168685784.jpg.7d2601a850c7547f7ed98076427df4a4.jpg</div>

I saw someone mention the Contax S2 with M42 adapter.. you ansswered your own question, by comparing a FX-3..with a M42 A>Dapter? MY first thought whilre reading this was also the Praktica L

with the vertical shutter, but I have no personal experience, but JDM and SP have made a good suggestion. If you really like your SP500 (I really like mine) get it serviced. You'll be glad you did!

<p>I'm partial to the Spotmatic series. All of them are great cameras and many are still working today. The shutter problem you are having is not uncommon for any forty-year old SLR, especially one with a horizontal cloth shutter. The leading curtain is slowing down and allowing the trailing curtain to catch up.</p>

<p>This can be caused by gunk or dried grease in the mechanism or by springs that have lost their tension over the years. A good CLA should return it to normal operation.</p>

<p>I like the Spotmatics, partially because the first real camera I had was a Spotmatic, but also because I find them to be the most ergonomically satisfying camera that I have yet to find. That includes my K10D, as well. A Spotmatic just seems to fit my hands perfectly, unlike any other camera I've ever held.</p>

<p>Paul Noble</p>

<p>For what it's worth, my first serious SLR was the Heiland Pentax H2. Every two years like clockwork I had to have the shutter adjusted for the problem you mentioned. When I got an Asahi Pentax H2 (yes, might be for South Africa?), it has the same problem. I think it's just one of the those things on that series.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have a number of M42 cameras and each has its good and bad points. An interesting model is the Ricoh TLS 401. It has match needle metering, a very heavy metal body, a vertical metal shutter and an interesting feature which allows you to look down through the top of the mirror box. I have not found cloth shutters to be unreliable so I will mention the Mamiya 500DTL and 1000DLT. Mine is a 500. It allows you to perform stop down metering smoothly by pressing the film advance lever aganst the body with your thumb. This is much nicer than the clicking switch on the Spotmatics and Vivitar SLRs. The Sears SLRs made by Ricoh, like the Singlex, have metal shutters if that's what you need. The Mamiya Auto XTL/AUto X-1000 cameras take a P adapter which provides stop down metering and auto diaphrahm operation. That combination camn be expensive. The Canon FTb/FTbN/TLb/F-1/F-1n etc. take an adapter which allow M42 lense to reach infinity focus. The F-1 has a horizontal shutter but the curtains are titanium so you have your metal. Minolta SLRs also have an adapter for M42 lenses. The XD-11 and XD-5 models have a vertical metal shutter. The SRT models have less plastic but use a cloth shutter. The recently made Bessaflex has more of the plastic you aren't looking for but also has a vertical shutter. The Pentax K1000, KX, KM. K2, K2DMD, ME, ME Super, MX can all be used with M42 lenses with an adapter. The mechanical Ricoh K mount cameras can also be used with adapters. Donlt forget the Chinon K mount cameras.</p>

<p>Thank you so much dear all, for the very helpful replies! I appreciate each & every single one of it...indeed, now I know more about M42 bodies than I did before! :D</p>

<p>S.P: Your suggestion of the Praktica L series is good, I'll look into them for sure. If you are recommending them so heartily, then they must be good :D Thank you!</p>

<p>Louis: Thanks so much Louise, for suggesting me the Ricoh Singlex II! Indeed, it is the camera that I find to be most attractive in this discussion. Alas, none is listed on eBay now :( They only have the Singlex TLS...which has a cloth shutter I think..I might be wrong though. And the shutter speed dial & ASA dial on the front of the camera? What were they thinking? Hey one question Louis: Does the Singlex II's metering work correctly with 1.5V modern silver oxide batteries with no recalibration?</p>

<p>Tony Lockerbie & to all the others, thank you so much again! I'm kinda interested in the Vivitar 420S/L too...never knew about that camera before! Hehe..something new learned everyday. ANd I'll definitely be getting my SP500's shutter curtains fixed sometime in the near future, no doubt. Thanks again!</p>

<p>Dani, I have the original Singlex (the Sears branded one) and surpisingly the shutter dial on the front is really very easy to use because your finger falls on to it in a natural way. It has the same metal Copal shutter. The meter of the Singlex II does respond well with the 1.5v batteries. I don't use center-weighted, in-camera meters enough to say about recalibration but I would suggest that, if you do, you always test and calibrate <em>any</em> meter to the film you use. Keep your eye on eBay, I often see the Singlex II pop up here and there. Good luck in your search. </p>

• 2 months later...
<p>It's too bad, the cloth shutters are starting not to want to work in older cameras in the cold. I have an old Asahi Pentax S2, just had Eric Hendrickson slave over it, the original shutters would jam up if it was cloudy, damp and 65 degrees or under outside. Hence the need for metal shutters. Spotmatics next?</p>