The Nikon with the Little Black Pointed Hat

<p >This is the Nikon F2 with the rare, black DE-1 prism. When talking about a legendary camera there is nothing I can really add to the enormous bandwidth of information written about it in both print and web-based media. One need only start here:</p>

<p ><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_F2">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_F2</a> or here: <a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf2/htmls/index.htm">http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf2/htmls/index.htm</a> to learn more about this finely crafted camera.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >This one recently got a full CLA from Clarence Gass and she is now working silky smooth. The mechanical precision can be felt through the fingers. The sound of its extraordinary shutter and advance mechanisms is like music to the ear. This is a completely all-mechanical classic, no batteries, no meter, and no automation of any kind. Underneath the tough-as-nails exterior and jewel-like operation beats a heart of pure simplicity-exposure, focus and composition. </p>

<p > <br>

Aside from the fact that only 10% of all DE-1’s made were black, this prism, combined with the Type E grid screen, is the brightest, most accurate viewfinder I have ever used. While there are metered prisms available, I prefer the one with the little black pointed hat.</p><div>00U6uW-161081584.jpg.385df867283589f9ef3180a495aabda2.jpg</div>

<p>I’d been mulling about my newly tuned up camera and thinking about what to shoot with it. A couple of weeks ago Andy Collins posted a very interesting picture of Anish Kapoor’s sculpture Cloud Gate (aka The Bean) in Millennium Park in Chicago. His picture <a href="../classic-cameras-forum/00Twlh">http://www.photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00Twlh</a> shows the highly reflective chrome sculpture well, but what intrigued me the most was the reflection of the surrounding park in the sculpture. Neat shot! While rummaging around the local thrift store last week, I happened upon this small ceramic mask with a highly reflective surface, and it made me think of Kapoor’s sculpture and Andy’s photograph. I bought it for seventy-five cents and decided then I would try to use it as the focus of my F2 self-assignment. Thanks for the inspiration Andy!</p><div>00U6ua-161081784.jpg.fb0fa67e05008f67f392ed52c39c7978.jpg</div>

<p>For this exercise, I elected to use two shift lenses, the PC-Nikkor 35mm f/1.2.8 and the PC Micro Nikkor 85mm f/2.8 D. Both these lenses are outstanding optics but require a manual stop down approach to shooting. I felt the shift aspect might be useful in helping me get better positioning without me being reflected in the shot. So here are the shots taken both outdoors and in the studio. The outdoor pictures were taken with the 35mm lens on Fuji Superia 400 and the studio shots were on Fuji Reala using the 85mm macro lens.</p><div>00U6ud-161083584.jpg.448fe5902c28ca45ac1b570dcbe2ddab.jpg</div>

<p>Beautiful series, the floating mask and the mask in the grass are testimony of great creativity and presentation.</p>

<p>I acquired a fully working F2 myself sometime in May and it is legendary indeed. I will not betray my Minoltas, however I do have to amit that it is one of the toughest cameras I have shot with. It is the favorite camera of my repairman and that has to account from something, as he has seen the innards of thousands of cameras during his repair work.</p>

<p>Beautiful work Louis, particularly like the floating shot, music man and the shot in the grass....damn, they are all good!<br>

The F2 is indeed a work of art, and I agree that the plain prism ( I have one on my F) is the way to go. They are getting scarce and very expensive these days, especially the one that you have, thing of beauty though.</p>

<p>I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU!</p>

<p>I've always wanted a black F with "pointy hat", in that condition. Then throw in the 85mm PC, and there is no end to my jealosy! Very, very beautiful. I'd give up my girlfriend for that camera... oh, wait, I don't have one. Now it will be even easier. It may be the only other camera I would like to own.</p>

<p>You're welcome Louis, but these pictures are far more inspirational, especially the last two with the reflections of the flag and of the music. Those are outstanding and worthy of being framed. Your pictures are always intriguing and representative of a true artist at work. The camera is beautiful as well. My Nikon 'collection' is quite minimal and presently only consists of an FE/MD-12 plus a couple of lenses and an L35AF, so I don't have any experience with the F2. It has been on my list of cameras to acquire for some time now, but the lovely little machines from Minolta and Canon have taken center stage for me of late. Now however, it's certainly a little higher on my list of priorities after your fine presentation. Excellent work as always, Louis!</p>

<p>You can be very pleased with the way you have carried through the spark of the idea through to fruition. I really enjoyed these. I think No2 "In the Woods" has a lovely spooky feel to it but they are all fine work.<br>

Incidentally, I have what I call a panda F2. That is a chrome body with a black DE1 prism like yours, that I bought at a camera shop on Vodickova in Prague a few years ago while on holiday. As you say a fine camera and one that I have no intention of selling.</p>

<p>Louis</p>

<p> I enjoy looking at all the shots. What to say is My God I have to get the "little pointed hat", but damn-it. It goes for over $200.00 on Ebay, now<br>

What should I do? I'd rather look at your F2 with the "little pointed hat" and wish...<br>

Thanks for sharing</p>