New Film got Hot

<p>I bought some new film, and after I left the store I put it in the glove box so that it would not be out in the open, and it was in there for about 20-30 mins while driving and when I went to another store, and when I got back to my car it was a little bit hot, and I was wondering if it might have gotten ruined, or if anything bad might have happened. The film is Fujifilm Superia X-tra 400. I know its just consumer grade film, still, it was kinda expensive in the pack that I bought it in. Also, does anyone have any tips on how to keep film cool while driving around in the summer?</p>

<p>It's fine. 20-30 minutes of "a little bit hot" is not going to cause any damage.<br>

-</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"Also, does anyone have any tips on how to keep film cool while driving around in the summer?"</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you are concerned about keeping your film cool, then get a small soft-sided cooler (the kind for keeping 6 cans of soda or beer cool) and keep your film in that when traveling. Keep it out of direct sun and your film will stay cool. Add a small gel "ice pack" if you want to keep it cold.</p>

<p>But in future, be aware that the glove box is hotter than the car, for the most part, not cooler.<br>

Never put anything that is heat sensitive in the glove box, which on most cars is directly below the dash, which is a hot spot warmed through the windshield glass by the sun.</p>

<p>Kodak had a glove box keeping test which consisted of keeping film at 160 F for 4 hours. Modern films survive this condition easily. I can't vouch for Fuji films, but would be surprised if they had severe problems at this condition. </p>

<p>Temperature effects are cumulative, but not necessarily catastrophic (e.g., melting or other change of state). Film is designed to have a certain shelf life at a certain temperature and humidity (I think 80 deg F and 50% RH). There is a formula based on the Arrhenius Equation (q.v., Thermodynamics 301) whereby the rate of deterioration roughly doubles for each 10 degrees C of temperature increase. On that basis a few hours of exposure to temperatures about 20 deg C above the norm are going to age the film the equivalent of 4x that time. In other words, inconsequential over a 2 year shelf life.</p>

<p>Great question and awesome answers. I live in Florida and want to travel with my film gear more in the truck but was nervous. Sounds like film is as hearty, if not more durable, than most modern electronic gadgets like cell phones, i pods and dslrs ;-) . Thank you to everyone for the great advice.</p>