Old school film lens on D70s

scooter0071

<p>My friend that I shoot with has his first Digital camera. Nikon D70s. He heard somewhere he should not try his old 17mm F3.5 Non AI Nikkor lens on his camera. He does not know why and is curious. I have no good answers for this and would like to ask the group if someone could give us some feedback on this. Also I have a D300 and D50, Will this lens fit on either of these cameras. I will provide any additional information requested that will help answer my questions.</p>

<p>Thank You</p>

<p>Bill Kalmbach</p>

<p>Bill:<br /> I think there is a lot of information readily available on the incompatibility of older Nikon lenses with modern bodies, and Nikon provides specific lists of lenses that don't work with various models. This data is usually included in the camera instruction book.<br /> The reasons usually have to do with physical mount conflicts (especially early non-AI mounts on modern cameras), and, with very wide lenses like the 17mm, the protrusion of the rear lens elements into the mirror box in a way that can contact the camera body parts causing physical damage.<br /> Check your camera instruction book for details of problem lenses. But be forewarned that there may be other incompatibilities beyond those listed.</p>

<p>AI conversion essentially involves removing most of the rear rim of the lens (the rear edge of the aperture ring, actually), leaving a short lip that engages the meter coupling tab on the camera body and transmits aperture setting data to the meter. Nikon used to offer conversion to AI as a factory service, which included replacing the non-AI aperture ring with a corresponding Nikon AI replacement, but they discontinued this a number of years ago. However, this conversion can still be found, although the quality is highly variable - everything from professional machining and finishing using genuine parts to some dude with a Dremel in his back shed. Your best bet is word of mouth</p>

<p>I will second Kenneth's recommendation of John White to AI your lenses. Several years ago he AI'ed four of my older lenses for use on my F100. They functioned flawlessly on both the F100 and the older FTn after his conversion. They continue to work on the F100 to this day.</p>

<p>If you look at your D70 from the front, there is a little tab on the lower left hand side of the lens mount. Early lenses will not clear this little tab; specific lenses may have other issues, e.g., the mirror may not have enough clearance.</p><div>00TvYU-154295584.jpg.cf59162dea3664f1a81728dd5efd2cf7.jpg</div>

<p>Another positive note for John White. He's been doing this since AI was first introduced.</p>

<p>However, as a preservationist, you should be aware that AI modification does destroy the integrity of the lens, and usually will adversely affect the value, as well. I understand that some lenses will not work, regardless of AI modification (isn't the C-type PC-Nikkor 35mm f/2.8 in this category?)</p>

<p>The best way to use old non-AI lenses is to buy a Nikon F, F2, Nikkormat FTn, or EL. All these years later, I still try to twist any aperture ring to "index" them, if I don't stop myself.</p>

<p>The next best way is to use them is to get an adapter and use them with TTL stop-down metering on most Canon EOS cameras. ;)</p>

<p>I am not positive about this, but I think that most of the older, non-AI Nikkors on the wide end of the focal length spectrum have a metal shield projection on the back like my 20mm Nikkor f/4 (<a href="00Tmzo">link</a> ). This <em>may</em> be a lens "feature" that makes the 17mm "hard to fit" to more modern Nikons.<br>

I do know that the flange/metal projection will prevent these lenses from mounting with adapters on 35mm (so-called "full frame") sensor Canon cameras, although they will work fine on the smaller APS-C versions.</p>

<p>Peter He bought a body only off Ebay so he does not have the kit lens but he has some glass from his film cameras that he has confirmed will work and he shoots with that. The problem is the it is 70-200 so he has nothing for shooting short distance like at the ATV/Motorbike park this last weekend. I did get some good photos with my kit 18-55 so he is going to invest in an 18-55 DX kit lense. Hopefully we can get one cheep from someone who upgraded to a faster lens.</p>