Time to upgrade my lightmeter, I think...

steve_robb1

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>I've been thinking lately of getting a new light meter. I currently have a good old Lunasix F (the 9v battery model) with the tele/spot attachment. Great meter, can't fault it, battery lasts for ever, spot attachment is great, flash metering is fantastic. It's inispensable, I couldn't live without it, the only thing that's got me wanting to 'upgrade' is that it's quite a bulk unit, especially with the spot attachment. In general, day-to-day life the size isn't an issue, but when I'm out on a day hike, or struggling between the car and a vantage point with LF gear, it does seem to grow a few inches all round and take up valuable space in whichever bag (or coat pocket) I have at the time.</p>

<p>I'd love to hear your recommendations of an incident, flash & ambient meter that's more pocketable than the Lunasix, any suggestions? Something that's available second hand would be great, I'd realistically only want to spend a hundred or so on it.</p>

<p>Thanks guys, appreciate the input!</p>

<p>Cheers,<br>

Steve</p>

<p>I was a pretty staunch Sekonic user, but folks here convinced me to buy a DigiFlash. It is so small and accurate that it's become the perfect companion to my Leica, and I carry it with me, around my neck, everywhere I go. I compare it with my Sekonic and Sinar flash meters and it is dead on. It doesn't do lighting ratio calculations automatically, but it is dang good. That would be an obvious suggestion from my viewpoint. It's around $180, but you might get one used for around $100. If you don't need flash capability, the DigiSix is around $125 or so.</p>

<p>If you really need the spot function, I don't know of a truly compact solution.<br /> I've come to rely on the Sekonic L-308 for almost all my metering. Accurate, pocket sized, and also includes a very convenient belt carrier. No spot, but provides full reflected/incident/flash functionality.<br /> If I really need 1 degree spot I'll bring the L-758, but it's not small, and it sure isn't inexpensive.</p>

<p>Sekonic 308 is one of the best compact meters around. The Gossen Digisix or Digiflash is very small, but otherwise quite a bit less convenient. It would be my first choice as a backup or a small travel meter, but I would not recommend it as the only meter. Sekonic 308 would be good enough for that, and convenient enough for daily use. I have both of them.</p>

<p>Thanks for the suggestions guys. I don't really <em>need</em> the spot function, but it does come in handy at times, mainly when taking carefully set up pictures with LF, otherwise when doing portraits etc it's just incident. </p>

<p>That Gossen is TINY! Wow, definately 'pocketable'. I might keep an eye out for a second hand L308, wireless flash triggering would definately be handy, as it is I usually just take the flash trigger off the camera while I'm setting up and use it to trigger my remote strobes manualy while pressing the button on the meter... it would be a luxury to have one box to do all of that, save a lot of fluffing around (not to mention the odd time I forget to connect the trigger back up to the camera! oops...).</p>

<p>Thanks again guys, appreciate your time.</p>

<p>Limitations of the Luna Six. Although its a very accurate meter. You need 2 hands to work it which makes it very invonvenient if you are carrying a camera with flash and other accessories. In the dark, or in dim situations the meter is practically worthless because you cannot see the tiny f-stops on the dial. It does not come with a sync plug to take flash readings meaning somebody has to set the flash off for you. Very bulky especially with the old-school carrying case. <br />I have a Gossen Luna Pro which I purchased used 8 years ago, but it is sitting on the shelf exactly for those reasons I mentioned. I switched to a Sekonic L-358 and I'm very happy with it. It's not exactly Tiny, but it is very light and does fit in your pocket, or you can hang it from your neck. The meter lights up automatically in dim areas. It comes with a sync cord to set off flash, or you can set-off your strobes wirelessly with a purchased module. Is it accurate ? very accurate, more so than my Luna-Pro that has allways been a little eratic and has seen it's better years.</p>