Farewell M2!

<p>I'm wondering if it makes sense, but I like to announce the sudden and violent disappearence of my M2 N&o rdm; 110 073 85 with a Summilux 35mm Nº 2548211 + hood .</p>

<p>I was robbed on Sunday in a not so safe barrio o f Barcelona, S pain.</p>

<p>I'm pretty sure the guys did not no what a catch they made.</p>

<p>Maybe they just sold it o ff for 100 buc ks...</p>

<p>Watch your gear, friends !<br>

Best, Knut</p>

They surrounded me and established a smalltalk. During half an hour ago I was taking some shots of people clubbing and in queues for entering a discotheque. Think they checked me out. One of them 20 something years old went into my little bandolero style bag like a lightning and on the fly, then the others were blocking my sight/move. No chance.

Now I'm checking the flleemarkets and informing the camera stores, but only to make sure that I did try it at least...Police says I should call them when I stumble over the camera, but as they would arrive in all their ornate, I don't think it would make any sense...

<p>Sorry for your loss. This is at least the second time in recent memory that something of this nature has been posted (that I have read and in Spain, too). Let me make this recommendation for anyone in the future. If you are going into an area where you feel less than comfortable carrying your primary camera then you should have a second one that is much less costly that you would be willing to give up without a fight. (I have a Yashica GSN and a Canonet for those areas.) Also, you bag should not be an obvious camera bag but a "cheapo" and even better keep exposed film in pockets. If the bag is stolen you will not loose exposed film. I also recommend a climbing carbiner if you bag does not have a detachable strap to attach to tables or chairs when not in use and even better to your belt. I also recommend that you carry the bag crosswise over the the body not over one shoulder. (And for that matter your money should not be in your wallet and you wallet should be in your front pocket.) Again, I am sorry for your loss. In you case in sound like they had you marked and were going to take it violently if necessary.</p>

<p>I was in Barcelona's el Raval (which the locals seem to think is a seriously scary place, but from my perspective is really nice compared to Detroit) for a few days in 2007; I kept my M8 under a sportjacket on its strap, which went over my neck and one shoulder. Pickpockets in lots of big cities are quite good at getting into bags, which for that reason I do not use on the street. I'm sorry for your loss.</p>

Sorry about what happened to you, Knut. Best of luck in finding it.

Did you go to Casanova? It's a well-stocked store on the beginning of the Ramblas. Who knows... the thieves may take it there...

Was your gear insured?

Again, sorry about what happened. I wish I could help.

<p>Thanks all for your input and good wishes!<br>

Yes, I've been to all the important dealers handing them out the police report;<br>

than I went to all the known "aftermarket" sites, but can't overlook them all at once...<br>

Some friends do help in scanning this possibilities, so let's see.<br>

I don't expect anything, but at least I did something...<br>

OTO, I'm walking through Barcelona with a camera since 9 years, day or night, 90% with a Leica,which barrio ever, and there have been only two not sucessful random attempts of pickpocketing to me. (Though I witnessed various thefts in the metro and in the street.)</p>

<p>In general, they go for cash, credit cards and digital items and are not to keen on "his grandpa's camera"... and they are not that far from truth ;-)</p>

<p>Thanks again</p><div>00To1z-149661584.jpg.4234192e2e0ec7d39cba713380c96c58.jpg</div>

<p>Really sorry to hear the bad news. I had camera equipment stolen from me twice;once from a car and once from my person. I got the Leica stolen from my person back, but risked life and limb to do so. Even then it was damaged. It happens, don't let it change your street photography, that would be a more serious loss. Be happy that you weren't hurt. I realy hope you have s second body and that the picture taken above with the M2 was not the M2 you lost. Nice Canon 2.8!</p>

<p>sorry to hear that, you've got it all covered by your insurance company i hope?<br>

well my camera was stolen in peru in a bus and some days later the friend i've been travelling with bought a new camera for i had to return to switzerland earlier, and was robbed by 4 guys with guns, guess that's what they call life's sarcasm;)<br>

a m2 hurts more though than a d700.</p>

<p>michael</p>

<p>I have visited Spain twice and found it to be a lovely friendly country with an incredible history, and the castles to prove it. My wife told me that she had a camera stolen out of her car in Barcelona, before we were married. It on their last day so a week of film was lost also. On a more recent trip in 2002, we paused at a viewpoint of Avila and parked the car and got out to take some photos. My daughter had neglected to lock the car since we were only going to be there for a few minutes. There were a few other cars and sightseers around. A car pulled up with some young people in it, but we were too busy concentrating on the walled city of Avila. When we returned to the car, my wife's purse was missing. We went into Avila to report the theft to the police. While we were filling out all the forms, the police told us that some one had found a purse and would we wait until it was delivered to the station. We did and it was my wife's purse, to our amazement. It had just been left in a department store. Missing were my wife's credit cards and about 20 Euros. But present were my wife's passport, driver's license, and military dependent ID card. I was so happy that they didn't throw the purse into a dumpster or river, that I would have cheerfully given them 50 Euros on the spot. We cancelled the credit cards of course.<br>

To balance the story, I have my car's trunk broke into twice while parked near the now-departed Kingdome in Seattle. The first time, they got about $250 worth of bicycle gear. The second time, they got only a box of 50 clay pigeons which I had bought at Kmart for $5. I hope they enjoyed their treat.<br>

I seriously gave some thought to recruiting some of my younger, burley friends and parking the car in the same spot with some goodies plainly visible in the interior, while we would be staked out in non-discript clothes with baseball bats hidden under our coats. Good thing we didn't follow through, because we would have gone to jail and we would have funding the crook for the rest of his life.<br>

My basic rule is that if you leave a camera in your car, even locked in a trunk, it will be stolen.<br>

The one exception I would make is that I often left a camera in my car in the Boeing parking lot. The lot was guarded, and no one could get to the lot except by passing through a guarded checkpoint. My worry in this situation was not loss of camera but rather loss of job because it was against the rules to bring a camera onto Boeing property. Of course, at the time, Boeing was funding my attendance at a photography class to the tune of $800.<br>

I hope you will recover your Leica M2. Not easy to come by these days.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"My wife told me that she had a camera stolen out of her car in Barcelona, before we were married.</p>

<p>"On a more recent trip to Spain ...when we returned to the car, my wife's purse was missing.</p>

<p>"I have had my car's trunk broke into twice while parked near the now-departed Kingdome in Seattle.<br /> <br /> "My basic rule is that if you leave a camera in your car, even locked in a trunk, it will be stolen."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm glad that you learned the lesson, even if took four thefts to learn it. Most people learn after one theft (I did): <strong><em>Never leave anything of value in a car, not even hidden from view and not even for a few minutes.</em> </strong></p>

<p>Sympathies to the OP. The only consolation is that the thieves were probably baffled by the camera (<em>"Hey--I can't get the light meter to turn on!"</em> ).</p>