Common print size for you

<p>I am just kind of curious what size most people print (digital and film if you care to mention). Personally I print just about everything at 4x6 from my 35mm stuff and will scan the negatives for archiving and larger prints. I keep all of the 'better' pictures in 1 or more photo albums in chronological order and all of the 'excess' 4x6s stored with their negatives in photo boxes labeled with the date range of each box and seperated by month inside of the box.<br>

For display pictures I have the odd 4x6, mostly family pictures in small picture frames, but I mostly print 6x9 and 8x12 prints for display. I haven't really printed larger and I generally hate to print 5x7 or 8x10 because of cropping. I'd say I probably do a couple of 6x9 prints and one 8x12 print every 2-3 months and I rotate the pictures in my various frames (at work and home) about every 6-12 months depending on how much I like a picture.</p>

I shoot a mix of 6 x 4.5 slides and digital, which is pretty much dependent on my mood. It seems that no matter which

camera I use, I wind up going 19" on the long side, with the short side dependent on the crop. For some reason, I just

seem to like an 18" x 24" frame, and a 19" in a 24" mat just seems to work for me. It seems like that size is big enough to

be engaging but not so big that it's overpowering or pompous looking.

The runner ups are 10" (long side) prints that I've done at home, which I keep in a portfolio of my favorites and have used

for the occasional gallery submission. For those I usually favor Hahnemühle Fine Art Pearl.

I do have some wide stitched photos that, theoretically are 12" on the short side and ranging from 48" - 80", though I have

yet to output any of them. I guess I just want to make sure I have a home for them first.

<p>Standard sizes; nothing flashy. Mostly driven by economy and ease of display.</p>

<p>11X14 is a common size for me. 8X10s another. I also do a lot of 3.5X5, because I get my photo paper in 11X14; it's easy to successively cut down to that size, leaving off a 1" strip for test strips. My digital prints tend to be about 8X10s or 4X6s. I really enjoyed some smaller 2.5X3.5 prints for myself; but, they're so small, they're mostly for the wallet. Postcards in 4X6, because that is their size. It sounds dumb, but I enjoy the postcards. I like being able to put my own picture on those. I found a company that will let you put your homemade pictures on a stamp, with digital printing; they have a barcode for USPS; it's a nice combination. For some reason, I have gotten away from 5X7s. No particular reason.</p>

<p>They're "boring" sizes; but, it keeps framing costs down. Also, just generally easier to have the print packaged for display, unframed, but in a mat and mount assembly that can easily fit in a ready-made commercial frame. This is usually close to what I am doing with composing anyway; and, it gets more of the pictures up and enjoyed. I mail the photos with much more confidence because I am not shipping glass. Also easier for changing out displays; mixing and matching frames, interchanging a picture in a display, and so on. Since I make some nature photos, I want some flexibility in the packaging and display options because some folks have a decor-type interest. They'll want to change things around easily, and keep the appearance fresh. Simple frame, common size, reasonable standard of frame construction for a low cost.</p>

<p>All of this went back to and reinforced my choices about cropping and composition. I find original aspect ratio is often immaterial, if the cropping preserves more than 75% of the original image; that is, it won't be aggressive enough to cause a sharpness or exposure problem with the structure of the print.</p>

<p>I'll do maybe one custom framing of something a year. Some people seem to love custom framing, and with some of the great results out there, I can see why; but, in volume, I find it is obviously cost-prohibitive. I have never even bothered to use the "digital" print sizes, based on common paper sheet dimensions. I just use the one standard kind, and do that. If I had to go into getting used to another size or something; it just seems like it would another "one too many" thing. For some reason, I just feel myself groan at the thought of having to incorporate another set of something in there.</p>

<p>Yet, it's just a frame. Next picture.</p>

<p>I also keep personal binders of my favorites. They are printed 10.5Xwhatever the crop is in standard letter size. They are kept in generic binders in letter size sheet protectors. I use a variety of papers, depending on the image I'm printing and the effect I want. Most of my images are scanned 35mm @4000ppi. I re size in Photoshop but never save the re size so the image always stays in it's original format in case I wish to print bigger later. My personal portfolio is in 13X19 matted format.</p>

<p>If I re-print for a sale or show to be framed it just depends on the effect I want. Often I use Inkaid on various papers, watercolor, speciality papers or to try inkjet wet print techniques. Some of my prints are 12.5X39.5.</p>

<p>5 x 7 borderless prints to pass around the family or as test prints.</p>

<p>5.5 x 7.5 image on 8.5 x 11 paper. <br>

I do this for prints that I intend to keep. I got this idea from another photographer on photonet and there is an intimacy that I really enjoy about this combination. Others like it as well. I do all of my printing which makes this easy.</p>

<p>13 x 19 for large nature prints. This mats and frames easily as noted above. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Small: 6x9 matted to 9x12. Medium: 8x12 matted to 12x16. Large: 11x16 matted to 16x20. Some 12x18 matted to 18x24. These frame sizes are pretty common and not much cropping is necessary. The matted 16x20 seems to sell the most in my case. Thanks ... Ray.</p>

<p>I print mostly on 13 x 19 and frame up to 18 x 24....as of late I've been doing some on 11 x 17... I sell most of mine unmatted or framed just mounted on foam core.... The larger displays nicely but the smaller size as gotten some interest lately...I would assume do to the lesser cost....but I'll print whatever somebody wants to pay for...</p>

<p>I rarely enlarge film, but usually shoot the negative size that I want in the print. With digital, though I may print in the future, right now the pictures are used on the computer only. I do not expect to print digital B&W because LF contacts can't be beat, but may get into digital color prints later.</p>

<p>When I do print myself, it's almost always an 8x10 image on 8.5x11 paper. This size fits my binder sheets perfectly and I can buy either 16x20 or 11x14 mattes with a precut 8x10 image area very inexpensively.<br>

For the occasional larger print I use a local pro lab that does excellent work at a reasonable price. They specialize in weddings and I give them files color corrected for their workflow. I've often thought of buying a large format printer but it's a lot less expensive for me to use the lab.</p>

<p>Like you I rotate pictures. Every two or three weeks. I have three frames at work.<br>

Mostly I print a 6 x 9 in. image onto an 8-1/2 x 11 in. paper - 1 in. "margin's all around. Leaves me whitespace for notes like a title and print date, even if I trim the paper to 8 x 10 in. for a store-bought frame.<br>

But I probably have to change.</p>