Starting a Part time photo bussiness

<p>I'm currently in colorado and started to put a website togather. and wondering if i need to get a trade name (DBA) and apply for a colorado EIN and sales tax ID. this is strickly a online bussiness with sales of photographic prints, mats, and frames. my website is through zenfolio not sure if that matters.</p>

<p>all comments welcome thanks, thomas</p>

<p>Google!<br /><br />The Colorado state government's web site seems to have its share of broken links, but <strong><a href="http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/OEDIT/OEDIT/1162927366300">this</a></strong> was fairly easy to track down. There's a bunch more. Your local county web site may also have some pointers to things that are more peculiar to that jurisdiction when it comes to that sort of thing. No doubt you'll have to at least remit CO sales tax when you happen to deliver/ship a product to an address <em>in</em> state. That pretty much starts the ball rolling. I expect the local small business development office for the state could get you everything you need to know, and keep you out of hot water. Good luck!</p>

<p>Aimee is right, plust the IRS is not as bad as it used to be. I just had a pleasant conversation with one of their agents today and he was very cordial. Come to find out I filled out a 940 form back in 2007 when I did not have to . So I winded up paying Social Security and medicare on myself which is not possible, so according to the agent I should expect a a small refund. It could have been worse though. </p>

<p>IRS agents aren't bad people. Unfortunately, if you have to deal with them, it's typically uncomfortable for you. Consider the alternative. We file tax returns and pay taxes on the honor system for the most part. We write down our income and deductions and off it goes. There are many dishonest and delinquent people. Taxes are high. Can you imagine how mush higher they would be if there were no IRS agents policing the system? The actually save us lots of money. Think about it....-Aimee</p>

<p>In most states there is a limit to how much you can make and not claim it. In PA its $1500 a year. Get the EIN, charge tax (easiy with Zen's upgrades this past week) and pay the sales tax. if you make less than the claim amount for the year, don't claim it. If you make more you can also claim the $100 you spend for the Zen site and you can claim other deductions. Keep in mind though that Photography is the #2 audited business by the IRS. Do it right from the start.</p>

<B>URL SIGNATURES ARE NOT ALLOWED ON PHOTO.NET</b>