Adox CMS 20 in Rodinal 1:300 Stand Development- Results & Question

<p>Here's one on CMS 20 exposed at EI 3 (three) and developed in homebrew PaRodinal 1:200 15 min 68F agitated every 2 min.<br>

At EI 3 the shadow detail is acceptable IMO.The low EI seems to me to be typical of microfilms in p-aminophenol type developers.</p><div>00TJ8e-133117584.jpg.daa7c2ffdce0a4df5c39ddf84dab899a.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Alan, thanks for the film/developer example!</p>

<p>Jay, I used to be involved a lot in cinematography and that's where my first experiences with push and pull processing were, tho I've really never used pull processing before. Thanks for the info on flashing as well.</p>

<p>I agree that Acros is much easier to use than any of these document films and gives excellent quality. I recently shot a roll in 6x6 and developed it in Rodinal 1:50. When I was focusing the grain using the grain microscope, it was incredibly fine and difficult to see. It looked even finer than the grain in 4x5 TMY-2 did when developed it Rodinal... and I think some 35mm Tech Pan that I recently developed in Rodinal had grain finer than 120 Acros of 4x5 TMY-2 :)</p>

<p>Anyways, I did give CMS 20 one more shot. I started off rating it at ISO 20 and bracketed my exposures and took notes on each one. I developed it in Rodinal 1:200 for 14.5 minutes. Granted the day was mostly overcast, but the negatives look the most promising out of all my trials. I'll post some examples later. I also tried a roll of the Rollei ATO 2.1, which I'll post as well, plus some Kodak Imagelink FS. I've been busy... but now the darkroom is closed :(</p>

<p>Hi Ole-</p>

<p>Split developers such as Diafine won't be contrasty, on the contrary the single problem with that is that it is sometime flat.</p>

<p>The most important procedure that does controllably what you desacribe is "water bath" development. Email me if you want some information on that. </p>

<p>Lynn</p>

<p>"Split developers such as Diafine won't be contrasty, on the contrary the single problem with that is that it is sometime flat."<br>

Never tried Diafine, I assume this is a divided developer where very little development takes place in the first bath. With a Stoeckler type divided developer, significant devlopment takes place in the first bath, so you will get different contrast depending on the time. Emofin is the same it seems. I think the Stoeckler developer will work very well with CMS20 with some adjustment of the time. If I remember correctly, it was recommended by Agfa for developing Agfa Ortho document film to normal contrast.<br>

I have experimented a bit with divided developers where the pH in the first bath has been low enough not to give any development, but so far (on normal films), I do not like the results. As you say, too flat, but more annoying, very uneven development. I also tried the trick of adding sugar to inhibit devlopment (described in Anchell & Troop, attributed to Kodak), but the results were similar.<br>

For the moment I think I will stick with the diluted Beutler developer which does exactly what I want, but thanks for the tip on water bath development.</p>

• 6 years later...