A quick one on Kodachrome prints through walmart

<p>i started shooting Kodachrome a couple of months ago, in large part because of reading some threads here and elsewhere. when i send Kodachrome64 through walmart can i print the roll as well? will the roll be printed at Dwaynes or somewhere else? and are the prices the same as indicated on the envelope?<br>

i guess it's three quick ones. :) i asked the clerk at the photo department at walmart and she had no clue about what happens with slides - just fill out the envelope (which was 10 yards from the counter).<br>

i know walmart has horrible employee practices but that's the only way i can afford to shoot Kodachrome.<br>

thank you for info.</p>

<p>The basic rule is, if you want prints, buy print film.<br>

Sure, Dwayne's will do prints from slides. At least at their retail prices, they are 60 cents each from slides. Might be cheaper if you ordered a whole rollm and maybe cheaper through Wal-Mart. But it's going to cost way more than prints from negative film.<br>

Remember that what you are buying is a scan of the slide, and then a print from the scan. The normal reversal color papers are all discontinued.<br>

But at that price, you're not going to get a scan that comes anywhere close to what's on the film. Kodachrome is hard to scan well, and you won't get a great scan at that price. So the prints will not have the look of the slides.</p>

<p>You are asking for trouble asking for prints from Kodachrome from Wal-Mart. Let us know what they look like. My guess is they will be pretty poor, but I am willing to be convinced otherwise.</p>

<p>Ron is right (sort of), but actually most scan operators are not set up for it which is exactly the problem in my experience.</p>

Robin Smith

<p>i read almost the entire "Kodachrome Shooters-Does Kodak Care About Us?" thread (at least up to a couple of days ago). so far, i didn't have any problems scanning Kodachrome64. here are examples from my first Kodachrome trial roll http://picasaweb.google.com/matroskinn/JeanneKostyaKodachrome64HoustonBiosphere201022009# they were scanned on epson v500. this morning i went ahead and put one roll in walmart mailer and checked the box for single prints. we'll see what happens.<br>

also, when i sent the first roll to Dwaynes i asked for scans and they were horrible. i didn't complain, i figured it'll be my "donation" to them but i won't be scanning through them any more. and i didn't know that slides have to be scanned now before printing. it's good to know.<br>

NOTE: i'm not professional and take photos mostly for memories and some projects.</p>

<p>Lasersoft Imaging sent me the latest version of Silverfast Ai HDR and a IT8 target to check out and review. Once I get through ski season and get the work out to prospective clients, I will have some 25 rolls to edit and scan and will report in earnest. The current version I use is outstanding, I can only imagine the improvements they have done, makes me wish I had an Imacon / Hasselblad X5...:-)</p>