Blackout Curtains—where can I find them?

robinpeeples

<p>I work for a university art department, and we need new curtains to separate photo bays in our photo studio. The ones we already have were made some years ago and noone recalls by whom or where (or out of what—it feels like a thin but tightly woven canvas with a synthetic coating).<br>

We need them to be black, fully light-proof (of course), and flame retardant. They'll need to be approx. 15'w x 9.5'h and have grommets along the top to hang them on tracks. They don't need to be pretty (they won't be photographed), or feel nice—they just need to block light, hold up under some abuse, and not catch on fire.<br>

-----------------------------------<br>

A summary of my research:<br>

At fabric stores, I've been able to find fabric that is either light-proof OR flame retardant, but not both. At theater supply companies, I've been able to find curtains that fit our bill, but are velour and probably much fancier than we need (and thus more expensive than we'd like). I've also found some semi-sketchy dotcoms that sell blackout curtains, but I don't know what to think.<br /> -----------------------------------<br>

Does anyone have any recommendations on finding or making blackout curtains?<br>

Thanks so much for any insight, and please let me know if I'm not posting this in the appropriate location.<br>

robin<br>

PS: located in Austin,TX</p>

<p>Thanks for your help so far!<br>

I too have googled and have requests for quotes from several web-based companies (including blackoutcurtains.com, and I'll add backdropoutlet to my list), but I'm really hoping to find first-hand experience.<br>

Thanks also for the tips about rose brand and packcloth.</p>