Latest Kodachrome Emulsion Number?

<p>At PMA, the Kodak people essentially said to me "If people buy enough Kodachrome to make it feasible, we'll keep selling it". If it gets discontinued, it's because not enough people are buying it. Kodak is happy to take your money in exchange for film. They don't stop making stuff unless it stops making money.</p>

<p>How many rolls do each of us on this forum actually use of Kodachrome in a given year? 10? 20? 50? 100? I doubt that there are very many people here shooting one roll of Kodachrome a week, much less 2 or more. With production runs of 20,000 rolls, a lot more people need to be shooting Kodachrome than there appear to be.</p>

<p>I like Kodachrome as much as anyone. But I won't be surprised to see it disappear.</p>

<p>Cant they just make their runs of the film more in frequent? If the problem then becomes processing, do the same... Whereby Dwayne's would only process film every other month or whatever to maintain a good amount of film going through the machine at any given time...</p>

<p>Id be really sorry to see it go. I probably, on average, only shoot no more than four rolls a month, but aside from a roll of provia or trad. BW here and there, its my primary film anymore...</p>

<p>Well I think Dwayne's is doing well as they still process Kodachrome daily. There is a video you can find on Hattlebergs people of the owner, Grant Steinle saying they process about a thousand rolls a day. I think that is a lot......<br>

I currently have exp. 03/2010 with emulsion no. 1559. I just bought 6 rolls of this from Freestyle a few weeks ago. </p>

<p>In the past I have seen the same emulsion number have different expiration dates.<br>

Could it be that Kodak produces a number of master rolls and the puts them in cold storage?<br>

When kodak takes them out and send them to room temperature market is that when they assign an expiration date.<br>

This is just a thought I have with no facts to back it up.<br>

</p>

<p>I've been trying to make a habit of shooting a new, 36-exposure roll of K64 every week in my Yashica T4, which I carry around in my bookbag practically everywhere. In addition, I've also been trying to shoot a roll of K25 from my freezer each week, using my various Nikon cameras. Using the K25 doesn't, at this point, help Kodak any with its numbers, I know, but these are habits I've been trying to stick to, to get as many things around me shot in Kodachrome as possible. Of course, these "weekly" rolls are in addition to any trips I take, hikes, tours, etc., etc.</p>

<p>It's 04/2010 like Al said.<br /> People are using more Kodachrome than one might think, B&H keeps selling out of hundreds of rolls in just a matter of a couple weeks as does Freestyle. Since the AP article about the film, usage has spiked considerably from where it was pre-AP article. <br /> So overall, Kodak has put Kodachrome back into a more profitable position by streamlining product, distribution channels and labs to niche levels. I can not tell you how I know this, but I do know for a fact that all of the effort on the part of Kodachrome fans to use the film is having a direct impact on how long Kodak keeps it around.<br /> Overall, the news is good for Kodachrome, so keep using it. I shot 6 rolls in the past few days and will shoot over 500 this year.</p>

<p>I feel that I'll miss it for the ISO as much as for all it's other qualities. If I want a sub 100 ISO slide, it's RVP or Kodachrome. I have a roll of RVP in the freezer now for a year, I just can't get myself to use that goop. It stung me in 120 with blasted poor colors (but with nice low grain and details, but who cares if the color sucks).</p>

<p>As I'm one of the crumedgeons that likes have a camera with max mechanical shutter speed of 1000, or even 500 (and none to accurate it at that), film speed selection and variety is way more important to us mechanical RF fan boys.</p>

<p>Anyone else been having problems with K64 lately in that the last few rolls both myself and a friend got back were very 'muddy', almost as if one was shooting through a 'mud' filter (!). This has happened off and on a few times the past couple of years, using different emulsion numbers. The last K64 slides (processed two weeks ago) were really bad...very yellowish and muddy. The Provia 100 shot at the same time (both cameras Canon A-1's with Canon f1.8 50mm lens) was much better (crisp, pure whites) and better contrast.<br>

Being that this has happened several times with different emulsions (although likely from the same master roll) makes me think that maybe Dwayne's processing isn't as good as it could be??? Sometimes the K64 slides are just great, but more and more lately it seems like the K64 just isn't the great film it used to be.....</p>

<p>Ted</p>