Microphen alternative?

bob_mcbob

<p>I just got back into shooting black and white film after a long hiatus. I used to do a lot of Tri-X pushed in Microphen, which is a great combo. I know Ilford stopped producing the 1 gallon boxes, which makes it quite significantly more expensive to use. Even at 1:1 it's pretty expensive as b/w developers go, and I don't particularly want to start re-using developer. As a matter of fact, it's actually more expensive per roll than DD-X, which is just crazy to me!</p>

<p>Is there another speed enhancing developer I can buy in Canada (Henry's, Vistek) that would provide similar results? I will also be shooting Neopan 1600, which I've never tried before, so I'd be using it for that, too.</p>

<p>P.S. I still have a couple of unmixed 1 gallon boxes that I bought right after they were discontinued. Will these be any good?</p>

<p>For pushing 35mm TMY or Tri-X (usually to 1600), I reused Microphen stock solution for 10 rolls per liter of stock. Not sure how economical that is but it worked for me.</p>

<p>Other than DD-X you might try Acufine, Diafine (good for Tri-X, not for T-Max - IMO only - but with a very different look than Microphen). Others report good results from Xtol and T-Max developers.</p>

<p>The unopened packages of Microphen should still be good. In normal storage conditions most powders remain good for several years.</p>

<p>Microphen is a phenidone/hydroquinone type developer but it certainly isn't the only one. When it looked like Ilford might disappear I bought a lot of their powder developers. Some more economical alternatives to Microphen are Clayton F60 and NACCO Super 76. Both are liquid concentrates. The Clayton developers are available from Freestyle and I think the NACCO developers are too. Both of these are good for pushing and reguler use. I use F60 at 1:9 and Super 76 at 1:4. You might prefer the Super 76 at 1:2 but this is something you should test for yourself. At 1:2 grain will be slightly finer and at 1:4 speed will be a little better. If you are not going to use a bottle of either developer right away then I suggest you get some glass bottles with proper caps or rubber stoppers. Pour half of a quart into a 16 oz bottle and the other half into two 8 oz. bottles. The developers will last longer this way than in their original plastic bottles. </p>

<p>Neopan 1600 @ 1600 looks very good and sharp imo, tight grain.</p>

<p>Going to try it in Xtol next time, 1600 isn't that big push and Xtol seems to work very nicely as far as non-specialized developers go, even APX "don't push this film" 400 survived in it @ 800.</p>

<p>I also bought several 1-gallon boxes of M'phen several years ago when Ilford was going through its financial troubles and it looked like the stuff was going to disappear. I'm still mixing it up, and it works fine. I like mixing it 1:1 for pushing HP5+. Powder developers seem to have a very long shelf life in powder form (and I think Ilford's tech literature says that), so yours should be fine.<br>

I also buy the smaller packages available now, even though it's more expensive. If you like what you get with a developer, why switch?</p>

<p>I suppose I just object to the idea of paying so much more for exactly the same thing. The 1 gallon packages were only a few dollars more than the 1L ones, and they did 24 or 25 films at 1:1. Buying 1L packages almost triples the cost of the developer, taking it from insignificant (50 cents) to almost $1.50/roll here in Canada.</p>

<p>Yes, a silly reason, but I need all the motivation I can get to shoot, develop, and scan film nowadays.</p>