I need a RELIABLE photo lab

<p><em></em> <br>

<em> This just wouldn't fly with any other kind of business. If someone just brought something to their attention, as a business they should make darn sure that it does NOT happen again.</em><br>

I hate to say it Chris, but this DOES fly at other businesses.<br>

Every get your order screwed up at a fast food restaurant?<br>

If you live in Southern California you have. And what does the manager do to <em>fix</em> the problem?<br />Throw some free food at ya so you'll shut up.<br>

But it doesn't work that way for me. I tell them that I don't want a refund or free food. I want the problem FIXED. That usually throws them into a ball of confusion because they can't figure out why a customer wouldn't want something for free, but I keep insisting that they talk to whomever they need to talk to and start acting like a manager.</p>

<p>Actually, Craig, I've had better service at a fast food resaurant! I eat out at fast food places all the time, and I can't think of one example in the last 5 years that they actually messed up one of my orders. Once in a while a soda will be flat or something, and I'll tell them about it...they apologize and then change the tanks, and then the soda tastes fine. So they actually DID fix the problem. But so far in the last 2 years, I've already had two or three 1-hour photo labs ruin my film. <br /><br />That's pretty sad. That means that statistically, the service from a 1-hour photo lab is <em>much </em>worse than a fast food restaurant! <br /><br />It would be like if I got a flat soda at a fast food place, and told them about it, and then they just gave me a refund and never changed the tank. And just kept serving flat sodas from the fountain. Maybe I'm lucky, but I've never had that happen where I live. Not even McDonad's is that bad. But that's exactly what the photo lab at Walgreens did. I should tell them that..."hey guys, do you know your service is worse than McDonalds??" </p>

<p>My current preferred lab is my local <strong>MotoPhoto</strong> . I appreciate that there is probably significant variation from site to site, since it's a franchise operation. But my local lab in West Chester, PA has great equipment (Fuji processing & printing equipment) and is staffed by people who really care about photography. I've given them 100's of rolls of C-41 and E-6 over the years (and more recently, digital, too). Their processing, scanning & printing is great. They even worked with me after Fuji "upgraded" their lab scanners a couple of years ago and results took a dive for the worse. (We eventually solved the problem of the crappy scans, to everyone's satisfaction). They also have a small studio and have done awesome work shooting flat artwork for me. One more thing, the ability to upload digital files directly to MotoPhoto for local printing & pickup is super!<br>

<br /> I used to send all my E-6 film to the <strong>Fujicolor Processing</strong> lab in Phoenix AZ and their service was great, sometimes I'd even get less than 1 week turnaround. But about 2 years ago Fuji sold off the operation to <strong>Dwayne's</strong> in Parsons KS ... and <strong>their service absolutely stinks.</strong> They haven't returned a single roll in less than 5 weeks and when you call them they have magically "just received & processed" my film. And without cracking a smile they tell me about their golden reputation for immediate turnaround & quick delivery. Honestly, give me a break. I don't need that aggravation. My son had the same experience with them. We both stopped using their service.<br>

<br /> I have always heard that <strong>A&I</strong> in Hollywood CA has a good reputation. Their 35mm E6 mailers are about $9.50 at B&H Photo. I'm planning to give them a try. I used to use <strong>Berry & Homer</strong> in Philadelphia for my pro work but with the changes in the industry they went into a different line of business. Anyone know of a good professional lab on the east coast? Especially one that still prints Ilfochrome/Cibachrome?</p>

<p>Chris,<br>

You might want to try my method. I'm also a die-hard film shooter. I've shunned those 1-hr. Photo Labs for the same damages you had that they did to me. I now print my own pictures and just have my rolls "developed/processed, burnt in a CD" only. I saved printing $ and went "green". From the CD, I only print what I like, whether it be 5 x 6 or a max of 8-1/2 x 11 on bonds or photo paper. For "developed/processed, burnt in a CD", I get charged $2.99/roll, either 24 or 36 exp. I get the negs in sleeves and thumb-nailed CD.</p>

<p>I use an EPSON R200 printer, that I bought refurbished for $200 some 2-years ago. I look-out for sales on inkjet photo papers at OfficeMax and Office Depot. For "showing-around" of my shots, however, I just print them on 8-1/2 x 11 white bonds. I give away copies either by email direct from the CD or my own prints from my "sales" stock of photo paper. I've printed excellent copies on 8-1/2 x 11 for framing.</p>

<p>Printing your own pictures from a CD may not be economical if you make prints of every frame you shot. It is fair, however, if you print only the pictures you like. It allows you complete control of the printing process and waste nothing in unwanted pictures. Surely, the CD becomes a better media than film for re-printing , filing, and e-mailing of the pictures you took.</p>

<p>The EPSON R200 has PHOTOSHOP Elements software furnished. It made me an "expert" printer-retoucher. I've enjoyed printing ever since. I've erased/corrected all defects on the pictures I shot, be they dust/blemish on the neg or the power/telephone wires or objects in the wrong places in my shots. I even learned how to reclaim damaged pictures I took long ago.</p>

<p>I archive my negatives and have only the CD's for everyday ordinary handling. Unfortunately, my provider, <strong>WOODMAN's</strong> is only in existense in Wisconsin and Northern Illinois. They do not have a mail-in service. I'm thinking about serving our members like you for a token $5/transaction + $1/roll for handling plus Woodman's actual processing of $2.99/roll plus actual return postage to you. Of course, <strong>I assume the same LIABILITY as my processor, WHICH IS NONE,</strong> but I give you the proverbial 'TRUST ME" assurance. So far, my provider has not failed me yet!</p>

<p>The CD scan is supposed to be good for up to 16" X 20" blow-up. They won't give me their scanner specs but you can factor out the pixels from the max blow-up size. I've given them upwards of ASA 400 films. Their in-house processing is only good for print films. They send out slides and just do the in-house scanning. Cost is higher for slides.</p>

<p>I do have a storefront that you can mail your film rolls to.</p>

<p>Ged Trias, Sr, LAN Planet, Rockford, ILLINOIS</p>

<p>Martin, This man came well recommended when I inquired recently about finding a high quality printer. His name is Ray Smicker, and he is located in Allentown, PA. I think it likely that if he does not do the processes you mentioned, he can recommend someone.</p>

<p>http://www.silverimages.us.com/</p>

<p>Regarding your comments about Dwayne's for E-6, my experience has been diametrically opposed. That just doesn't sound right; my most recent order was mailed from here on a Sunday night. Had it back on Saturday, and I'm on the East Coast, too! The quality was perfect, as it always has been. Your experience sounds very atypical, and I've used them a lot.</p>

<p>Every lab should have a policy of running, reading, and plotting process control strips, analyzing their processes and implementing corrective action when processes start to go out of control, regularly clean the transport mechanisms, clean or replace air and water filters, and clean chemical and wash tanks. Unfortunately this does not occur as often as it should in most labs, pro or not, one problem being able to find conscientious employees at the wages most labs pay, loss of knowledge through attrition and poor or unavailable (to employee) documentation, and lack of training.<br>

Scratches, chemical deposits & tar, uncorrectable color and contrast, and embedded dust are some of the problems you can encounter. If interviewing a local lab one thing you might do is ask to see their process control plots and ask them to show you where they took corrective action. If they won't do this or can't explain what they did at the out of control points (always happens at some point, nothing's perfect) then that would be indicative to me that they don't control their process - red flag. You can also ask them about their schedule for cleaning equipment and filters but all you are likely to be able to do there is try to judge their honesty based on the type of response you get. <br>

Re liability, there is no way any lab is going to accept any liability other than replace your film if they screw it up. Be careful who you choose.</p>

<p>Try:<br>

www.photoworkssf.com</p>

<p>I saw their add in LightLeaks and started to use them. They have a pretty decent turnaround time and are pretty nice people. I've used them a couple of times. Free mailers to send in, $5 flat shipping for return, no shipping fee if its 10+ rolls. I think its $5/roll for developing, $4/roll for decent sized scans, and I'm not sure how much for prints. The negs came back very clean, very nicely cut into strips of 6 and put into archival pages. </p>