Lens for real estate iNTERIOR shots?

chris cornwell blog

<p>I have a D300 (LOVE it!) and currently use 50mm f1.4 for everything. I am considering a wide angle lens (prime) for INTERIOR shots (mostly tight spaces). I would be using above f11 for most of these shots. I've read mixed reviews on non-nikon lens, i.e. 28mm- 35mm. I have a small budget of less than $400 for now. Please receommend a good, investment lens. Thanks!</p>

<p>I shoot the D300 as well and I Use the Sigma 10-20 and love it, Here are some links to some of my work... I find it to do a better job (for me) than my Nikon 12-24. Just make sure to shoot from one knee and try to keep your lines straight!<a href="http://virtualgta.com/Virtual_GTA/Home.html"> Real Estate Shots </a> <a href="http://virtualgta.com/Virtual_GTA/Home.html"> VirtualGTA</a></p>

<p>Indeed, the Sigma 10-20 HSM is quite good at this. The difference between 10mm and 12mm is quite noticeable. You do indeed need to be thoughtful about squaring your camera up to the vertical lines in the room, and choose your position carefully, to minimize troubles with the exaggerated perspectives that occur when shooting that wide. But with such a lens, you'll never feel cramped again, that's for sure.<br /><br />Here's <strong><a href="../photo/7563324">one interior example at 10mm</a></strong>, and <strong><a href="../photo/7691063&size=lg">here's another</a></strong>. <br /><br />If you're used to shooting at 50mm, you'll be astounded.</p>

<p>Rick: that Tokina is indeed well recieved... but there are a few things to remember:<br /><br />1) Won't work on bodies that need AF-S style lenses (it will work fine on the D300, but if you want to mount it on a backup D40 or D60, that's problematic). <br /><br />2) Believe it or not, there's still quite a difference between 10mm and 11mm. That may not be a show stopper for many people.<br /><br />3) There's also quite a difference between 16 and 20mm. Because the OP is currently shooting with only a 50mm lens on a DX body, and only has the budget for one more lens just now, the Sigma's greater range could help out in a lot more situations.</p>

<p>I have tried the Sigma 10-20 on a D300 and I was quite impressed. I think that is probably the best bang/buck ratio. I read a lot about the Tokina 11-16, which people seems to love, but then I switched to FX and thus went with a 14-24. Either lens will make you happy, that is my guess.</p>

The real best bang/buck ratio is the new Tamron 10-24. I just receive this lens , and have no time for serious tests but looks to me very sharp and nice to handle. The zoom and focus ring run nice and smoothly (better than my 24-70/2,8G AF-S) and and the construction seems to be solid , but light .<div>00S3fM-104465984.JPG.ad43d8876d5c470e108dbad61827286b.JPG</div>

<p>Chris: you aren't going to find an ultra wide lens at f/1.anything... it would be hideously expsensive. Nikon's justly famous new 14-24/2.8 is well over $1000 as it is, and is very big, heavy, and delicate (you can't mount filters over its large front element).<br /><br />If you're going to be on a tripod for these shots (which you should be!), and if you want want good depth of field (which you almost always would, doing that sort of shooting) you're going to be stopped down somewhere tighter than f/5.6... easily f/8 or f/11 anyway. No need to pay for fast glass that will never be used that way.<br /><br />On the other hand... if you also expect to be using it in dim light for social shots, that sort of thing... then f/2.8 might be nicer. It's a matter of taste. Interiors are a special case (though I use that Sigma for all sorts of crazy stuff... from <strong><a href="../photo/7385489">hunting dogs in the field</a></strong> to <strong><a href="../photo/7581625">dramatic, campy landscape shots</a></strong>, or <a href="../photo/6890455&size=lg"><strong>Italian cliches</strong></a><strong> </strong>(and<strong> </strong><a href="../photo/6668904&size=lg"><strong>then some</strong></a>!), or <strong><a href="../photo/7512175&size=lg">bits of nature</a></strong> that need a lot of background context. I've never missed being faster than f/4 on any of that sort of stuff, but would definitely miss not being able to go as wide as 10mm.</p>

<p>The Tokina 11-16 works very well for interiors, 11mm is wide enough. I love mine... but...</p>

<p>I think the Sigma 10-20 (which I don't own, I have the Tokina) with a tripod and decent flash would be better. Yes, there's just barely enough diff between 11mm and 10mm that I think for interiors you want the Sigma if you can deal with the slow speed.</p>

<p>With a budget of $400 and thinking Nikkor primes look at a 28mm f2.8 or 35mm f2. You can also find 20mm and 24 mm Nikkors for less than $400.<br>

If you are using f11 and the DX format I suggest you look at the Sigma 10-20. It is very wide and you will need to be careful. Tokina also makes a 12-24mm. These are both more than $400.</p>

<p>Chris - I used to use a Sigma 15-30 ASPH as well as a Nikon 20/2.8. The Sigma is an older lens and sells for around $300 now, about 1/4 of its original price; the Nikon typically is about $400. I was amazed however a couple of years ago when the real estate photographer showed up to do a virtual walk thru photoshoot of my house in preparation for selling it, and was using a D100 and the 24-120 lens. The results were pretty impressive.</p>

<p>Chris: In that shot, I was focused at a distance roughly near the far end of the nearest black floor vent.<br /><br />Right here is a great tool to help you actually plan for shots like that, and get a sense of how a given focal length is going to behave at different apertures and focal distances on different sensor formats: <strong><a href="http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html">depth of field calculator</a></strong>.</p>

<p>Dear Chris, i do an interior shooting (cca 30% of my work). I have canon 40D at the moment with tokina 12-24. Very good lense for the money - very low distortion - that´s what you need for the interior shots. For your 1.5 crop camera I think you need something at least bellow 14mm. Speed is not so much important, F9 is your speed. Used lense is the option. </p><div>00S42S-104533584.jpg.8d53ae5e822154c3f9284118385148be.jpg</div>

<p>echo the sigma 10-20 suggestions, i shoot with a 12-24 myself, but had the chance to try the sigma and was quite impressed.</p>

<p>one thing to keep in mind, is that composing with a superwide is a somewhat delicate matter. it's really easy to mess things up by stretching near/far relationship making the shot unreal, some people like it for effect but it actually takes some training to make it work as natural. this is more relevant as fov gets wider. coming from a 50 only the difference would be huge.</p>