whats the worse thing you have had happen to your EOS camera?

jfarias

<p>I'm just curious after reading some posts about peoples camera bodies falling, or being exposed to extreme weather.<br>

So far, the only thing that has happened to mine is fallen off of a about 2 ft off the ground while it was still in its bag.</p>

<p>23 hours after receiving my 5D, I dropped a box cutter on the camera, shattering the display window but not otherwise damaging the camera. This was the event that got me posting in this forum in the first place. The posts are archived...<br>

Report of problem - http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00QVWg<br>

Notes on the fix - http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00QdEY</p>

<p>I took my EOS 20D to a football game where it got very wet indeed. I hope it would dry out and perhaps be OK. For a while it was sitting in the car with me and the focus illumination light kept flashing on and there was a sort of electrical arcing sound. Anyways, that was the last thing it ever did. Canon said it was "beyond economical repair" so I bought a new 40D instead.<br>

Interestingly, the EF 70-210 F/3.5-4.5 lens was just fine.</p>

<p>A 5D fell about 3 feet onto pavement. Was getting a camera bag out of the back of a van. Had neglected to close the bag. Picked up the bag. It opened. Camera went flying.</p>

<p>Luckily, it spun as it fell, and rolled as it hit the ground. Scuffed a corner. Scuffed the lens hood. Everything else was fine. Other than my heart rate. :)</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p>I was on an Alaska Cruise trying to rush out of the cabin to catch an Eagle preserve tour, when my 20D decided it wanted to leap out of my camera case and on to the bed which then bounce on to the floor. The CF card door broke off of the camera which really put me in a bad situation. On the bus ride to the Eagle preserve I managed to slide the CF card door into position so that the camera would work. Throughout the rest of the cruise, I had to keep a finger on the CF card door so that the camera would still work. <br>

It was a lot of money to repair the CF card door, but I still use my camera today.</p>

<p>Two things: my 5D with 24-105 f/4, battery charger and CF card with an evening's worth of shots was stolen in Xi'an in October. The other was when I was just getting used to my old 20D I spent an entire morning shooting only to realize that there was no CF card in the camera. D'oh! (That's when I learned the magic of custom settings allowing you to set the camera not to shoot without a card, etc!)</p>

<p>The high voltage of the internal flash of my 2 week old 10D short circuited toasting all the internal circuits. Canon had good news and bad. Good, they'd replace my 10D; Bad, the 10D was back ordered for another month. I needed another 10D immediately and purchased one figuring the warrantee replacement could be my backup body. The battery monitoring circuit of the warrantee replacement unit died a couple months after the warrantee ran out.<br>

For what I paid for those two 10D bodies, I could now purchase two 5D MK II bodies.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Had to send mine in for a circuit board repair. I had left it in the car for five hours in -10F weather a few days before, and I have to wonder if I didn't inadvertantly power it on with the shutter button while it was still really cold. I have used it before the repair and since in even colder weather, though, so I don't know.<br>

Had it and my lenses stop working due to cold shooting a gas station fire at -20F. I was out there for about four hours, out that night for 8 hours total when it just refused to function any more. Once warmed up, it worked fine.<br>

Cracked the plastic cover over the LCD, replaced easily with a part from Canon.</p>

<p>Recently, I dropped my Tokina 12-24 in a frozen muskeg area while out shooting under the December full moon. I didn't realize it was missing for four days. When I hiked back out and retrieved it, it was caked with snow and ice over about 3/4 of the lens, with no caps on the front or rear. I chipped all the ice off of it that I could, and let it warm up in a plastic bag indoors and then dry out for two days and it now works just like new. Luckily, I suppose, the temperature never approached anything as warm as 32 for the 4 days it was out there, but we did get a half foot of snow and temperatures around zero.</p>

<p>Dropped my EOS1V into the Pacific Ocean at Green Sand Beach on the Big Island of Hawaii. I was walking backwards trying to get a shot and avoid a wave. After two days of drying out it worked just fine, though the 28-70 F2.8 L lens got sand in the zoom mechanism, it still worked, but sounded really scary. Had to get the lens reparied.</p>

<p>I dropped my EOS 3 in quicksand in a slot canyon. I had to chimney down about 8 feet to reach it, as it slowly disappeared lens first...<br>

By the time I got there the lens had partially filled with muck and was a total loss. The extremely fine grit had infiltrated and frozen every moving part. But the body was fine - I was lucky it had landed lens down. Since then I've been very careful about keeping the quick release on my tripod head tightened.</p>

So I’m driving down a lonely two-lane highway in the Texas Panhandle, when I hit a strange bump, and my cam flies out the back. I see through the rear view mirror that

no damage is done. Then, an eighteen-wheeler with the license plate reading “ Bring It On”, crushes it like a digi-cam at a beach party conga line. I pull over, to resurrect

the ashes, when a Texas highway patrol pulls up, and declares my cam as legally edible roadkill.

My cam was instantly surrounded by uniformed officials, and transported to a place called “Crawford”.

It was served that evening at some sort of gala affair, to some kind of group called “Emirates”.

The host of the event, upon tasting my road/cam/kill, declared, “Damn, I miss film.”

<p>Masi Mara, Cheetah mum and two cubs, twirling knobs and pressing buttons in a panic to get the shot and succeeded in freezing the camera. Turned off, waited 10 seconds turned on, no go, nothing. Turned off, took out battery, waited 20 seconds, put battery in, turned on, everything back to nornal, cheetahs gone.<br>

Can't remember the number of times I've missed a magic shot 'cause I forgot to turn the camera on or had manual focus at some stupid distance.<br>

Murphy lives on my shoulder sometimes, then some days it's pure serendipity.</p>

<p>I'm with Mark K. I have insurance, never had to use it, paranoically careful with my camera. Probabaly too much so, would accept the comment that I may be more down the toy than tool end of the spectrum, point taken on board. <br /><br />Credit crunch has me tightening belt, was wondering about insurance. Not wondering any more, will be sure to renew when the date comes. This post should be read to all photography classs students!<br /><br />Thank you guys n gals for some wonderful war stories. My heart goes out to all of you lens warriors. Keep shooting, I see some utterly wonderful shots in your portfolios. <br /><br />Happy New Year all and may fortune favour your shooting. <br /><br />BTW my worse ever camera moment was when I was 16 and it was stolen out of my back pack. Film of course, I think it wasn't even 20 bucks. EOS was not even a twinkle in Canon's eye at that point.</p>

<p>At the start of my Canadian Rocky Mountain tour my 20D with a 17-85 IS lens fell from a table on to a hardwood floor, lens first. The strap had got caught in my clothing as I moved away! At first I thought the lens had smashed but it was only the filter. It took a large wrench to free the filter but to my amazement only the filter was damaged. The lens and 20D showed absolutely no ill effects. Even the lens thread was OK and I bought a new filter localy and it fitted fine.</p><div>00RxS0-102227584.jpg.c1605cebf363123c2cc660b01e06cf53.jpg</div>

<p>Very similar story to Jeff's... VERY shortly after I got my 20D, I carefully set it down in the table but the camera strap caught my arm as I stepped away. The whole moment went into slow motion as I saw the 20D and the attached 17-85 pinwheel off the table and land on the tile floor. The camera was fine, but the 17-85 needed repair. And ever since it would randomly try to AF when in MF mode... Quite frustrating for macro shots let me tell you! It now sits on a shelf collecting dust.</p>