Will digitals be collectable?

ed_lutz

<p>I have no idea why I went on that tangent. My whole point originally was that cameras now a days have much more "trickle down" technology from the flagship models, which really does make one more brand dependent. Example, Canon 40d was touted to have some of the 1d features, the D300 and D700 are touted to have technology from the D3, ect ect.</p>

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>My Browning auto-5 12 guage shotgun will last forever. It was in production 1903-1908. Jown M/. Browning was a genius. My Walther PPK/S will also last for a long time. Every digital product comes with a finite death sentence. One of the problems is that today's manufacturers of IC chips are only interested in production runs of about a million.</p>

<p>None of them will be. They're mostly plastic junk and won't be working even a decade or two from now, if not much sooner. I look at my old classic cameras and they're metal and chrome and leather. So they last. They FEEL nice. Plastic feels like plastic, and a lot of the enjoyment of shooting the old film cameras is in how wonderful they feel to use. The bonus is that they take superlative photos. I have a couple of small digital cameras around the house. They take very good color photos (within their limits). Yet I never use them, probably because they are just little plastic crap things that offer no enjoyment other than that produced by the photos they produce.<br>

It's like comparing a Ferrari to whatever little crapper new eco-wonder auto you want to pick. The eco-wonder"car" is very efficient and economical to purchase. Cheap to operate. It's ultra reliable (just like a refrigerator and about as much fun). It's an appliance really. Disposable and interchangeable. Characterless. The Ferrari is ultra expensive, not that reliable, costs a mint to maintain, and eats gas, clutches, tires and everything else like no tomorrow. But which one do you want to drive? Which one is, and will remain, the classic? It's exactly the same w/ the Leica M3, the Zeiss Ikontas, and the other classic cameras as a few worthy examples. Quality endures long after the price is forgotten is the old Rolls Royce slogan. W/ cameras it might as well be quality endures long after the novelty of megapixel count and full frame silliness is forgotten.</p>