Which ISO 400 film has the finest grain?

I know that ISO 100 film has fine grain, but I plan to do a shoot using ISO 400. Out of these four films, which

would you say has the finest grain and then the biggest grain (just in general).

Kodak Tri-X 400

Kodak Tmax 400

Ilford HP5

Ilford Delta 400

I compared my prints with Tri-X, Tmax 400, and Ilford HP5, and HP5 seemed to have the finest grain, but then I

can't really trust my prints since they were all different sizes and I used a different developer for the roll of

HP5 I was using to compare images.

Thanks.

hello stephany,

years ago, Tmax 400 TMY was my favourite film. relatively low-grain, and outstanding in Xtol.

TMX was by far the lowest-grain in Xtol, and I am betting you could push it pretty far too.

all the films you mentioned are great ...

I am just about to load some TMX and TMY into the Hasselblad's. it's been about six years since I have shot film and I am really excited. living on a boat now, I think I will stick to pre-mixed developers like Tmax, as grain is not a consideration now.

best of luck ...

daniel taylor

The current 400 TMAX (TMY2) has the finest grain. Develop it in XTOL 1:1 for extraordinary sharpness, and excellent mid-tones as well. It's the best thing to have come along in B&W emulsions in awhile.

I've found HP-5 to be the most coarse, especially in DD-X. I don't like this film much.

Generally speaking, T-Max 400 and Delta 400 will have the finest grain. But it's very dependent on developer and technique. Tri-X and HP5+ are capable of very fine grain with the right developer and technique (which mainly includes not overdeveloping).

I haven't tried Neopan 400 but have heard several credible comments that it too has fine grain.

With Tri-X and HP5+, if you are willing to sacrifice a bit of speed and shot at around EI 250, these films are capable of very fine grain in an ordinary developer like ID-11 at full strength or 1+1 dilution. I've produced 11x14 prints from those films in 35mm that were virtually grain-free. In Perceptol or comparable developer the grain might be fine enough to tolerate even larger prints that would pass critical viewing.

Hands down winner in my book is the new TMY-2. It is very good in either D-76 1+1 or XTOL 1+1, without the need to sacrifice any film speed. Personally, I prefer it in XTOL, but that's me. In any case the differences between souping it in D-76 or XTOL are very small and not likely to be noticed by even extreme grain sniffers. In medium format, it is simply gorgeous.

Thank you so much for all the responses. I'll stick to Tmax 400 as a backup for my Tmax 100 (depending on lighting conditions).

Frank and Daniel, I sadly do not have XTOL, but when I go back home I'll definitely buy some and try it out.

Lex, I was also thinking about shooting Tri-X at 200, but I have a feeling that the lighting might be a bit low, thus I planned to shoot at 400 or maybe even 800.

Jeff, I didn't mention the B&W film with C-41 processing because I'm developing my own film in college, but thanks for your input!

Yes, TMax 400, I guess, because it doesn't have grain in the traditional sense, it's all homogenized. Don't find the T and D films to have real definition. Shoot Tri-X at ASA 200-250, develop a minute less than called for and you will have a beautiful, fine grain, wonderful tonality negative This is the starting point, IMHO, for learning black and white photography.

Stephany, <p>

Kudos for learning by doing! College was where I learned to do film & paper . . . shortly after the discovery of the wheel!

Further aging me, I learned on Tri-X and still shoot it for that edgy-newspaper look. I encourage you to try many choices and then narrow your scope to master a few. There are some terrific people on this forum and there are tons of good opinions, recommendations and most are willing to help. Every combo (film & chemistry) has its pluses & minuses so "finest grain" may depend on your application and tools used. Do you need resolution? Apparent sharpness? Contrast or not? After you make some decisions, maybe some grain is okay in favor of acuity? You get to decide! Have fun!

Who want's fine grain or even smooth grain I want sharp grain that is why I think that for smaller grain I just use larger format. In Small format I use a slower film and Rodinal.... I like Grain at times. ..... Tri-x in HC-110 will give you the full speed and nice grain but then in 35mm you still get grain. infact grain is what makes the image.

Ranting as I am I just say ... The new TMY-2 in HC-110 will make you happy if you want normal.

Larry

In recent years, I've liked HP5----I can make uncropped 11x14's (with a cold head enlarger} that are virtually grainless. I like the contrast and tonality. I've tried the new TMax 400---just two rolls---and when the grain begins to show it has the strange oatmeal look typical of tab films-- whilst the silver films like TriX and HP5--have traditional grain. But it's a matter of taste.

I use D76 straight or 1:1 -- depending on the subject.