Plus X in Rodinal

Very nice tonaltiy and sharpness. I can't think of anything I would do differently to improve it except maybe have the guy wear an MSU cap. ;-) I've never directly compared the two developers in 120, but in 35mm the HC-110 is finer grained. With 120 I wouldn't worry too much about grain. But try it anyway and let us know what you think. FWIW, I use dilution B when I use HC-110.

Good tones..

Plus X is a great film, I also process in Rodinal but at 1:100 for 15min agitation 2 inversions per min.

http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/2007_03_18_archive.html

I also have a Rollei T with both 1&2 Rolleinars, they are surprisingly sharp all things considered and address for me the Rolle

ifles' biggest weakness -its close focus...

Regards

Mark

Larry- that is so true. Of course scanning film and prints does level the playing field a bit when comparing digital to film online, but when you have paper prints in your hand from digital and film, IMHO, there's no comparison. I did some family portraits for a friend last year. Shot 15 prints each on digital, black & white film (120), and color negative (120). She picked the black & white without hesitation.

Mike My eye can see it even online...... Look at the groups in Flicker that are Digital and the Film ones... many get close but ... you can tell. I understand what you mean infact I hear that is what has slowed down the Zink printers that were going to replace Polaroid. cameras with an instant printer built into a Digital camera ... they looked Digital.

John

I Live in Tennessee and this year those hats are easy to find in the bargain bin.

Vandy hats are the hard to find ones. : )

Larry

Some people say Plus-X is more finicky than Tri-X, but that has never been my experience. You know what they say: YMMV. I've been developing Plus-X since I was probably about 11 or 12 years old. I've used D-76, Microdol-X, HC-110, Rodinal, Ethol Blue, Acufine, Diafine, Clayton F-76+, Microphen,TMAX developer, and Paterson FX-39. The only times I got less than optimum results was through my own error. Great film and flexible. As for now I mostly use HC-110 Dilution B and occasionally some Rodinal at 1:25. I think my best push processing results were in Acufine at an E.I. of 250.

This is an interesting thread. I'm relatively new to home-developing and at the moment I have a couple of exposed rolls of Ilford PanF+ and Kodak Plus-X which I am keen to try out in Rodinal soon at 1+50. The recommended processing times have me a little worried though. I'm used to D-76 and the recommended time for PanF with Rodinal 1+50 is within 30 seconds of the D-76 1+1 time, however with Plus-X the recommended times are massively different... 7 mins for D76 1+1 and 13 mins for Rodinal 1+50. Because the times are extremely close with one film and almost twice as long with another I'm worried that the Plus-X Rodinal time will lead to overdevelopment (or perhaps underdevelopment with the D-76 time). Then again, I noticed that John has used the recommended time for 1+25 and the result looks great.

The times are pretty close every film is different even films of the same speeds from different manufactures. Some ISO 100 Speed films have longer development times than some 400 speed films. Follow listed times at first then adjust to your own likening.

Plus-X is an oft overlooked film that has nice grain and a wonderful tonal range. Many people who have shot Tri-X for years have never even run a roll through their camera. It is a shame. I get it in bulk so shooting it is not expensive.<div>00RUtl-88645584.jpg.84c8c4716cdf6210800bc6f31cffffa1.jpg</div>