Nikon WedNEsDAy PiC #34

jose_angel

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Thanks<strong> Steve V and Lil</strong> for the comment. I really appreciate it.</p>

<p>It's a nice WedNEsDAy thread and I see different PiC with different perspective. I am sure this thread encourages beginners (like me) to shoot and post here. Though not getting enough time every week to go out and shoot, I am trying to post picture taken during my earlier outing or practicing something at home.</p>

<p>Once again thanks,<br /> Ray</p>

<p>Thank you, Lil, for the kind words! I was also impressed by your capture of your sister and her man. You have more energy than I do when it comes to commenting on all of the excellent work here. And I agree...I think those are damsel flies in Waldemer's shot.<br>

Enjoy the weekend!<br>

Dick</p>

<p><strong>Per-Christian</strong> - - any time :-) Next time, try it. ;-)<br>

<strong>Rene' </strong> - sometimes we just have to be lucky. If just a little. That was your day I guess. I don't know, I try to spread it out over the day & do one final post..... <br>

<strong>Jonas </strong> - mine is in Burbank, Los Angeles County. Does not taste the same. :-(<br>

<strong>Alastair</strong> - thanks for the explanation. Now I get it. :-) My husband has used a flash light with an opossum for me once. Gentler for sure. I'm sure the owl is OK. Just didn't want you to get blasted by anyone on some board. Must have been a wonderful experience. That's been my dream for so long.<br>

<strong>Carey </strong> - thank you. Yes in a way I don't think that poor man had any idea what he was getting himself into when he met my sister. It's amusing to watch. But I'm so happy she's in a good place & I feel that shot shows it so well.<br>

<strong>Ray,</strong> <strong> Aguinaldo & Richard</strong> - any time. :-) And <strong>Joseph</strong> has summed it up oh so well.<br>

<strong>Richard</strong> - thank you so very much for your comment. I'm glad, especially since I find photographing people oh so hard.<br>

My internet connection is about to die. Tonight I'll be back home in L.A.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Lil, after doing the comments last week, I can REALLY appreciate how much time it takes to do so. I know everyone appreciates your effort, especially with your time constraints. A heartfelt thank you from everyone. Your sister is gorgeous and looks very content...excellent capture of a mood/state of mind. :) Hopefully, next week I will be posting a "true" macro shot as my Sigma 150mm macro lens arrived yesterday. Woohoo! :D</p>

<p><strong>@Lil</strong><br>

Thanks for your kind words and for devoting your time reviewing and commenting instead of enjoying the slot machines!<br>

<strong>@Tim Evans</strong> <br />"Wow, I love the detail of the veins! How do you like that lens?"<br>

<br />Hello Tim: I,m very happy with the Tamron 90mm so far, but I'm just a beginner (no more than 8 months with the D300, before that only point-and-shoot cameras) So no expert at all.<br>

Fantastic the portrait of your friend Keisha, musicians are one of my favourite subjet to photograph, but I've few chances to do so here.<br>

<strong>@Eric Arnold</strong><br>

"ton-- great shot. not sure if that's pro- or anti-violence :)"<br>

Glad to know Eric, that I'm not the only one to find the message of the magnific photo from Ton a little ambiguous (Surely by my poor english understanding) Hope it to be read as an Anti violence statement instead of a mathematical ecuation ;-)<br>

Your TRUTH message have not that problem<br>

"alejandro and wayne--how coincidental you posted next to each other"<br>

Yes, as the thread is more popular every week this will happen more often. But we were briefly separated by a spammer advertising a horrible shoes Website (Thanks to the Moderators for cleaning the thread) <br>

<br /><strong>@Bernard Mills</strong><br>

Thanks, love your horses also. And thanks too for your posting "The hidden joys of AE Lock Hold" I'm a qualified schmuck! I've to look at my D300 to see if I had that button!!!<br>

by by all<br>

Alejandro</p>

<p>Heh, respect Lil Judd for the energy to include everyone in your comments. This is really a very nice place with obv lovely people and I'm glad to be a small part of it.</p>

<p>Thanks Lil again and thanks everyone for inspiration and amazing photos.</p>

<p>Lil, many thanks for taking the time and energy to comment on every single picture of this wealth of photographs!<br>

If I would do this it would probably take more than a week and some gallons of coffee.<br>

I'm kinda happy if I'm able to put out 5 more or less reasonable comments :-)</p>

<p>Jose Angel, looks like a nice place, too bad the door was closed<br /> Ton, Is that a coffin on the boat? I am also confused if it encourages or is against violence, nice picture anyway<br /> Mike C, nice highway, just the roadkill is missing<br /> Eric, very true, good find<br /> Chris, nice island, makes you wanna take a run and jump into the water<br /> Michael, interesting clouds<br /> Per-Christian, It's great how the sea is just melting with the sky<br /> Jeannean and Rick, nice lunch<br /> Leo, you are right, sometimes on the computer you think, if only, well, next time<br /> Ian, great lighting on that cathedral<br /> Roy, how did you get level with that plane?<br /> Matthew, wauw, the colours<br /> James, nice architecture<br /> Alejandro and Wayne, did you organize to post those leaves? amazing coincidence<br /> Kent, nice engine, do the tennisballs fly up?<br /> Erik, a public building with colours? never, I think you are messing with us<br /> Alastair, do you think he noticed the flash? haha, ooops just see you didn't use it.<br /> Ray, I see the dog, but would have passed by not noticing too<br /> matt, nice shoes, is nice to see the bricks going on almost until infinity<br /> Walter, nice bottle<br /> Paula, I like all the small bird watching the show<br /> John Kent, Are girls taking over blue from us now???<br /> Kim, nice beard<br /> Waldemar, what a story, you really went to a lot of trouble to get that picture and it shows, great shot, a dragonfly orgy, haha<br /> Amy, great view<br /> Eric Angelo, I think you have a dead pixel under that moon, haha, nice shot<br /> Dave, wauw the colors are amazing<br /> Ivan, creepy<br /> Lil, great that they found eachother, they look happy together. What are they looking at? The sunglasses are great. And thanks for all the comments, again.<br /> Janne, great shadow, looks like a fine lens<br /> Dieter, the sunset is great, the tree too, and i like the tiny people on the bench<br /> Adam, I see the elephant, funny<br /> Charles, nice view</p>

<p><strong>Rafael</strong> - my pleasure<br>

<strong>Jeannean </strong> - it's my pleasure to do the comments. As I've written before, I go by the presumption that positive encouragements helps us thrive. So even if the shot is not great, there is something good about it. Find it & point it out is my motto. If someone tells me everything is bad - well it kind of sends me into a state of "I give up" (but I don't). But if someone points out something positive that I've done - well from that I take the positive & try to build on it. So I go by the presumption that it may work for others as well. Congratulations to the 150mm Macro - can't wait to see what you get with it.<br>

<strong>Alejandro </strong> - I don't gamble ever really. Personally I prefer to go shopping while I'm there. A tad disappointed with the sales this time... :-( But shopping at least I bring something home. :-D<br>

<strong>Ivan</strong> - I'm glad to. Thanks for noticing my effort. :-)<br>

<strong>Anish</strong> - it worked out fun. :-)<br>

<strong>Barry </strong> - you're too kind. :-) I'm not looking for recognition for my effort, only for recognition of everyone's effort. I feel everyone deserves that.<br>

<strong>John </strong> - I'm glad too. Everyone deserves to be noticed.<br>

<strong>Georg</strong> - it's my pleasure. I don't drink coffee, but I do consume huge amounts of tea. :-)<br>

<strong>Sjoerd</strong> - thank you for noticing my shot & yes they are very happy. Wonderful to see my sister happy after so many years of an unhappy abusive marriage. :-( They're just enjoying the sight & relaxing at the pool of the Wynn hotel in Las Vegas. My sister walked over to Francis & hugged him. I just happened to have the camera in my hands......<br>

<strong>Thank you all & especially Joe for starting the thread each & every week</strong> - I am not looking for any special thank you, I just love how we all do our own thing & feel everyone thrives by positive reinforcement.<br>

Lil :-)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thank you Tim, Lil, and Sjoerd. Tim, I didn't make too many pictures at the Dream Cruise but may post one more next week.</p>

<p>And Sjoerd, funny observation about the tennis balls. As you probably know, they're to keep dust, chewing gum, chipmunks, etc. out of the engine when it isn't running. When it is, they're removed, and the injectors suck in huge amounts of air and anything else that gets too close.</p>

<p>Alejandro - the button is on all models I think - its just the little AE-L button to the immediate bottom-right of the viewfinder. You set it in custom menus or setup menus to do what you want and for me that's "AE-L Hold" for the reasons I've described. I actually spent all weekend (I had to fly from Sydney to Perth and back do 8hrs in the air) reading Michael Freemans' book on exposure, and testing his thoughts using this technique. So far its a keeper.</p>

<p>More broadly, can I say I used to love the 'posting phase' of Wednesday thread - the 2-3 days in which new images appear. There is now a 'commenting phase' which basically corresponds with the weekend, and where the thread is settled in terms of image contributions and we start seeing another for of beauty which is the people who take in the work and give out some love. This really is a second part of the wonder of this thread and I love it.</p>

<p>To bernard,<br>

About the 'commenting phase', I agree with you about that.<br>

For me I like to wait until most pictures are added so I can take my time evaluating them and commenting. But usually I only have time for that over the weekend. I have been late with commenting some weeks and was even the last one for some weeks. However I am uncertain how many people will read them. And I think most people will not read the old post once the new week has started. You really have to go look for the older wednesday thread. It is also closed by then, so any re-comments can only appaer in the next one.<br>

Maybe we should have a saturday commenting day. haha</p>

<p><strong>Kent - </strong> any time..... I just made the drive back from Las Vegas to Los Angeles & kept wanting to stop to photograph the landscape in the light. But everyone else wanted to get back once on the road. So I got not a single chance to photograph in the desert I so wanted to. :-( But if all goes well I'll get a chance to go to the Grand Canyon in the winter & then I'll hope for a chance to get those shots with my husband & daughter along. Nothing worse than traveling with a lot of people & not getting a chance to do that which we long to do......<br>

<strong>OK Sjoerd</strong> ,<br>

truth be told..... It was our first day at the hotel & I was taking family pictures. I was about to take a photo of Francis (the man) after making my sister explain that if he sees me turn the camera on him, he is to just continued doing what he is & simply ignore me. This is because I've seen something, a look or action, I wish to photograph. So I was about to photograph Francis, when my sister realized what I was doing & wanted to join the shot. We took probably about four frames with my sister posing with Francis. This is the one which made it into the thread. :-) <br>

Hope that's a better excuse. :-)<br>

<strong>To Ken</strong> - I am glad you find my comments encouraging & makes you want to practice more. That's wonderful. You have just truly validated my time. :-) The eternal teacher in me wishes for no more. :-) I am thrilled to find out that I have a positive influence in this. :-)</p>

<p>Thank you all for your comments and thoughts.</p>

<p>As this thread grows in popularity, I fully understand that it is impossible for us to comment on every photo, and <strong>Lil</strong>'s formidable task of commenting every photo can not be replicated by every other poster, so you shall know, Lil, that your efforts are highly appreciated.</p>

<p>This is a thread that for my part has become highly addictive, is something I look forward to every week, and has also changed my Internet & Photo habits. The week stimulates my creativity and the stress level rises, if I by Monday still have not found an image worthy of posting. After posting, I often come back to look at other beautiful images, and after a few days, when the thread reaches it commenting phase, I always hope for positive feedback.</p>

<p>I learn every week from fellow photo.net'ters' comments to other photos. This also means that I have shifted my photo habits to actively looking out for new photo op's: "Deadline" is next Wednesday!</p>

<p>The available time for Internet activities has also changed. I spend far, far less time posting and reading other photo forums; I have found a photo network I like here. Thank you, all.</p>

<p>I also like to read the small comments to many of the pictures posted. The stories give me a small glimpse of the rest of the world.</p>

<p>And, as the last topic of my ramblings, I am really happy for the opportunity of practicing my English, which throughout the years has become rather rusty.</p>

<p>See you tomorrow!</p>