how do you post process?

Pretend you are shooting slide film and get it right. My Nikons have an Image Review that shows the picture and histogram right after exposure.

Light Room has the ability to PP many files to the same set of instructions all at one time. Photoshop has it in Raw converter using the synchronise function. Works but is not as fast.

Write Actions to do common tasks such as resize and convert to JPEG. Let the computer do all the grunt work.

I use Lightroom to do 99% of my post processing, and other than dust spot removal, I do little bit-level editing or retouching.

I shoot a white balance target at the beginning of every session, or after every lighting setup change, and use that to batch correct the WB. I use ratings and quick collections to sort out the pictures to be presented to the client, and then I do exposure, curves, color correction, noise reduction, and sharpening only on those.

I use LR's batch Export ability to do JPEG or TIFF conversions and to resize for thumbnails etc.

I wouldn't consider having someone do post processing for me, especially if it required retouching or substantial editing.

<Chas>

Lightroom does the processing from the "raw" file to a JPEG, PSD or TIFF file. The bulk of what we used to have to do in Photoshop can now be done non-destructively as a batch process in Lightroom or in Adobe Camera Raw. If there is further work to be done on individual files after that, then the post processing is done by me in Photoshop.

If you have a bunch of photos that will all get the same post processing treatment, I create a Photoshop action, script or droplet to apply as a batch process to an entire folder of photos. Automating repetitive processes saves me oodles and poodles of time.

Thanks to all for your good ideas. This post was moved from business forum, although my question was more business than processing oriented. I know a couple of photographers, who are really busy doing weddings, while also working in the studio and locations. They work with the guy who does all their PP on the full time basis. So I was wondering how many of you professionals, and just busy shooters use someone to PP or edit/prepare for publication of your work.