Extra Take-Up Spools for M2 + Other Potentially Fun Items.

andrew_viny

Hey guys. I feel like I'm asking more questions than just about anyone else on photo.net. So here's my latest...

There are a number of items that have been recommended to me over the past several days for my new M2 with 50mm Elmar. The

question is: are these good things to have and if I should get them where is the best place to get them from?

Extra Spools

Half Case

TA Softie

TA Rewinder

Leica 1.25x Viewfinder Magnifier

M4 Rapid Load Film System

TA Rapidwinder

And of course a Good Ol' CLA

As for the last one the camera seems to be fairly clean, shutter speeds seem accurate, and the only indication I have of anything

potentially "wrong" with the camera is a little bit of play in the film advance lever.

Again thanks for all the help, tips, and advice.

~Andrew

The M2 is my favourite body... The best decision I ever made was to have the takeup spool modified to that of the later M4 type. (which is not the Rapid Load System). Obviously if you get this done you will never need additional takeup spools.

Everything else is ergonomics and only really worth acquiring once you understand, for yourself, any deficiencies based on how "you" use it. For me, the only two things I like are, from your list, a softie and, not from your list, a grip. But again, depending on your needs, a grip may even be superfluous.

I'll address the YES items only.

Take up spools... only if you plan on shooting several rolls of film one after the other. I do have an additional one for my

M3, and, guess what? Never needed it. Won't part with it because I paid for it, but it's never really been critical. I like

having it... just in case.

TA softie is a definite yes: it makes the use of a Leica a lot better, and allows you to control the camera when shooting

at shutterspeeds below 1/60.

Good ole CLA: definitely. However, use your M2 for a while. IIRC, in the other thread about getting a CLA someone

mentioned the resilience of Leica bodies. Well, it's true. I'd send the camera out if I found an issue with it: rigidity, light

leaks, faulty exposures... or just plain peace of mind. Don't dismiss it too easily as it extends the camera life.

As for the other items... I don't consider them vital, but other people swear by them, so I will let them make their case.

So long!

You might like to be aware that a 1.25 x magnifier is also available as a third party item from several sellers on ebay.

Probably not as nice as the Leica offering but a lot cheaper for infrequent use.

Try a search on ebay using 1.25x and be aware that the right price is about $50

Extra Spools - only if you think you are going to lose the one you have

Half Case - could be nice depends on your preference

TA Softie - waste of time (no insult to TA intended)

TA Rewinder - waste of time

Leica 1.25x Viewfinder Magnifier - I've got one, hardly ever use it, but it can be useful when you are using a 90mm or

135mm. If I have my 135mm on for more than a few shots I will put on the magnifier and it certainly helps.

M4 Rapid Load Film System - could be nice - I rather like the old style though - slow but steady and difficult to make

a mistake and get a misload - it can happen more easily with the rapid load system.

TA Rapidwinder - nope

And of course a Good Ol' CLA - always a good idea with a camera this old.

Robin Smith

From my discussions with Tom A, the leica rapid load kit won't work with the M2 rapidwinder. You should contact Tom A to see if he is making the M2 RW any more. It was only a 200 unit run from memory. I have one and it is on my M2 permanently (and I agree with others that the M2 is my favourite M body too).

The softies are good if you like that sort of thing (and at least they're cheap).

Personally i don't use a case, although i do have a spare Luigi half case for my M2.

The rewinder attachment is something I've not tried although I have a M6TTL as well which does have a rewind crank.

Ultimately what is mated to my M2 permanently - the TA rapidwinder and my 35 lux.

Charlie

I've had my M2 for 47 years, and have not needed an extra takeup spool yet. You don't need a magnifier unless you are going to get a 135mm lens, or a 90mm f/2. You sure don't need it with a 50mm Elmar! Rapid load system? I can load my M2 as fast as I can load my M6 or MP. Rapidwinder? Maybe, it is a nice accessory, if you plan to shoot rapidly, without needing to take the camera down from your eye to wind each time. I use one with one of my M6s and like it. But as stated, they might be hard to find.

You don't really need any of this stuff right away. Take some time to shoot with the M2 and see what you really need! Well, I do use a Luigi half-case on my M2.

The M2 is my fav camera. I use a grip if walking around a lot because I tend to carry the M2 in my hand, but around home or short trips I do not bother. I use extra take up spools pre set up for stage or night work because I find them faster and more reliable to reload than my M6 in the dark. When I travel I sometimes take an extra spool just in case I lose one, but never have in 20 years of M3s & M2s. I did have Sherry put an M3 lens release button shroud on when she did a CLA a few years ago, but mostly because I do some stage work & change lenses in the dark & was used to it on the M3. I only use a handheld light meter for tricky light, I just keep updating the exposure settings as I wander around by best guess so that I can just raise the camera, focus & shoot. I shoot mostly print film so this works well. Best of luck, Jim.

If you plan on not having the camera dangle from a neck strap, but are more of a 'hand-held' man, consider the Thumbs Up! which slides into the accessory shoe, and a wrist strap. Mine is a vintage Elmo movie camera wrist strap which threads into the tripod mount, nylon strap with steel clamping and a rotating screw, so it always rotates freely.

Cheers, Johan