5D MkIII Is it what you wanted?

scott_ferris

<p>Is it what I wanted? No... but then again, I guess my standards are pretty high. I have yet to find a camera to tear me away from my 1Ds Mark II. Here's why, to <strong>me</strong> I care about weather sealing, iso 100 - 800 IQ, decent AF.<br>

I avoid video like the plague.<br>

I buy most of my gear used because of the value depreciation that happens so quickly with all of this equipment (This $3500 5D mark III will be <$2000 in 5 years).<br>

Long story short: If I look at upgrading from the 1Ds II to the 5D3 I'll gain:<br>

-Worse or possibly equal (I doubt it) Weather sealing<br>

-Same Shutter Speed<br>

-Slightly better (maybe?) AF and exposure<br>

-Better Battery, Bigger Screen, Better ISO Performance, Newer Technology (bells and whistles)<br>

-6MP (which is nothing at this point... it will allow me to crop slightly more... or print bigger (I dont need to do)<br>

- At least $2000 gone from my bank account<br>

So it seems that now... 7 years after the 1Ds Mark II was released, they have put it at the "Prosumer" level in price, with added video, at 2x the price of what you can buy a used 1Ds II for.<br>

If the 1DX was @ the price of the 5DIII then I would be more tempted (because of the faster shutter speeds for when I do shoot sports)</p>

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reviewing the sample images, my first impression is that the files are extremely clean from a noise and grain

perspective. Shadow noise is the 5D2's key weakness, IMHO, because I don't rely on fancy autofocus features.

Nevertheless, Canon seems to have improved the AF to a vast degree as well. The two areas that users complained

about most vocally have been addressed.

If you photograph events, this should be a great camera for you. For weddings, what is there to even think about? The 5D3 looks to be a wedding

photographer's dream machine. Reportage would be well covered by a camera that handles noise well. I could see myself using this camera for urban

photography, particularly for scenes with people and moving vehicles. In post processing, I wouldn't have to trade

sharpness for noise as I do frequently with the 5D2.

Even for landscape and cityscape shooting, the 5D3 could be a fine body. It's difficult to dispute that Canon has the best

lenses for such purposes: 17 and 24 TS-E, 70-200 f/4 IS, 100-400 IS. I have managed to make 48-inch prints from a single 5D2

exposure with extrapolation and creative sharpening. Perhaps even more detail can be milked from the 5D3's super-clean IQ.

The elephant in the room is the D800. On paper it makes the 5D3's 22 MP look somewhat anemic, and the D800E

opens up a whole new ball game. But 36 MP full frame sensors are demanding. Shooting at f/16, you're probably cutting

that resolution in half. Motion blur will be painfully apparent at the print sizes that a D800 could make possible, and the outer edges of a lens' image circle will no longer be able to hide any weaknesses. A clean 22 MP sensor should be fine for most applications, and perhaps it's a more versatile choice for the majority of photographers. A 28 - 32 MP spec might have made the new Canon seem more competitive, but that almost certainly have impacted the camera's noise performance in a negative way.

To be certain, the 5D3 is an improvement over its predecessor. It may not be the improvement that some photographers

wanted, but it may turn out to be what a lot of buyers need. The wedding and video folks should be thrilled. The rest of

us will have to wait to see whether this is the body for us.

<p>Erik,</p>

<p>Your obvious upgrade, if and when you choose to, is a used 1Ds MkIII, that is where I went after the 1Ds MkII, it is a much more complete camera.</p>

<p>Dan,</p>

<p><em>"It may not be the improvement that some photographers wanted, but it may turn out to be what a lot of buyers need."</em></p>

<p>That is a very good way to look at it.</p>

<p>I <em>knew</em> this would happen! After months of agonizing and re-analyzing my finances, I finally upgraded from a 5D MkI to the 5D MkII, only to have the 5D MkIII announced less than a week after my purchase. I don't really regret it, though; The 5D MkII is such a terrific upgrade (for me) from the 5D MkI that I am totally satisfied, for the moment anyway:-) The only things the 5D MKIII has that I really would like to have are the expanded auto-bracketing feature and the in-camera HDR. That would make shooting the virtual tours I do a lot more efficient. I'm sure this will be a great camera, but I'm also glad to see they aren't discontinuing the 5D MkII line just yet. Maybe that will mean they will continue to provide support and firmware upgrades for the MkII awhile longer.</p>

<p>Another thing to keep in mind is all those original 5D cameras still in service out there that are starting to show their age relative to current technology (autofocus, low max ISO, high noise, 12.8 MP vs 20+MP, etc.). I never got around to upgrading to the 5DII (really feeling happy about having bought those skis rather than upgrading to the 5DII last month), so to me this is looking like a great upgrade. I'm guessing many others that never upgraded are also starting to think about a new camera body. I think with the combination of aging 5D originals out there, early adopters, low light shooters, shooters looking for better autofocus, those looking to step up to a full frame, video shooters, etc., etc. Canon has put together a camera with a great deal of sales potential.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Joel, you can probably sell the '2' for a good price if you really want a '3'.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The problem with that is, I would probably lose at least a couple of hundred dollars selling the MkII. The net difference to buy the MkIII would then be around $1200-1400, way way over what I can afford at present. Maybe in another year or two, if business picks up really well...</p>

<p>People will always moan about A or B (and I am no exception) but as I look on it as a whole, the 5D3 looks like a great improvement and a worthy successor to the 5D2. I never really liked the 5D and 5D2 but some day I may get myself a 5D3.</p>

<p>Happy shooting,<br>

Yakim. </p>

<p>Pricing woes can be attributed to the strength of the Yen to the US Dollar. About 80 yen will get you a buck (I remember back in 1980's it was 256). My Canon pro rep says that's what they're fighting more than anything on cost. That said, in old conversations with Nikon pro reps, they always contended that Canon would *always* undercut Nikon so as a result Nikon never got into pricing battles. So the D800 coming inn at US$500 less is a bit of a surprise.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>No built-in AF assist light, though with AF down to EV -2 that's less necessary now.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's a real bummer. I can't focus with mkii in low light, not even with fast primes. It got me into trouble several times. That and the reason there's no split screen in mkii is why I'd consider switching to nikon.</p>

<p>I'm not complaining, the mkii is a good camera but for the price the mkiii is listed, I expect at least an AF assist light! Even consumer cameras are equipped with it.</p>

<p>What does AF EV-2 mean? How does it function?</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>No top end cameras have assist lights, the AF is expected to keep up with the conditions.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, it doesn't in the mkii. Can't judge the mkiii though.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Charcoal - not wanting to state the obvious but pick up a ST-E2 Speedlite Transmitter.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Can't do that, I have a radio transmitter mounted on the camera.<br>

Pretty expensive solution you state there. The d700 got an assist light built in. </p>

<p>The 5D MkII was not a top end camera, for photographic purposes it was always a very poor cousin to the 1Ds MkIII. When the 5D MkIII is available it will be Canon's highest mp camera available, and it will have the best video of any EOS camera, by default that makes it a top end camera.</p>

<p>The D700 was not a top end camera either, the D3s and D3x don't have assist lights, again, "No top end cameras have assist lights".</p>

<p>Nice camera. Very pricey and not worth it to me. I would have been happy with 5D mark 11 specs with a pop-up flash for under $2k. That would have sold like hot cakes.<br>

It is pretty clear Canon are trying to reprice their range into the stratosphere: new f2.8 primes for $800, replacing $200-$300 equivalents, $1600 70-300 f4-5.6 L zooms and the like! It seems like they have abandoned the enthusiast segment of the market, with either only cheap rebels and kit lenses, or exe pro gear and not much in between.</p>

<p>If Canon priced the 5d3 at the same price as the D800 it would still be a let down, but to come in at the biggest part of a grand more it;s taking people to be chumps. It will go down in price , as will the D800 ,but it's got more to got then nikon. I can't see the 5d3 coming down to less then £2500 in less then 2 years The AF is nice, but even the 1dx doesn't really blow my socks off for £5300.<br>

The other thing I don't understand is why here in the UK wrier paying the same in pounds as the US is in dollars, when the pound isn't equal to the dollar. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, you can buy a <strong>5D2 and a 7D for less than the price of a 5D3</strong>! That tells me something about the crazy list price of the 5D3. You can keep it Canon.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'm sure Canon would not mind what you buy as long as you keep buying Canon products.<br>

:-)</p>

<p>Happy shooting,<br>

Yakim.</p>

<p><strong>Canon announces their new EOS 5D Mk III Camera Body </strong><br>

by Jon Williams ©2012</p>

<p>Trouble is brewing for Canon I'm afraid. Hang on to your Canon Mark II. Suffice it to say that I suspect Canon has made a big error in their marketing judgement. I think Nikon will be the benefactor of Canon's big announcement regarding the upgraded 5D Mark 3 body.</p>

<p>Of course the MK3 is a very fine camera, and it has been vastly improved in the auto-focus department. Autofocus was pretty much the only weakness in the MK2 model. I've been waiting anxiously for the MK3 model myself …. but now I’m quite certain that I won't be rushing out to pre-order one. So, what’s “bugging me.”</p>

<p>There are many technical experts out there who are better qualified to evaluate and compare the various camera capabilities. Most of these guys (and their reports) seem to be very – technically oriented. My opinion (of the new MK3 announcement) is based primarily on my recollections of how new camera models have been accepted in the past.</p>

<p>I often rely on a – hunch – or a "gut instinct," about such things. Here is what my “hunch” is telling me about MK3 acceptance by professional (and serious amateur) photographers. <br>

The key factors are all in relation to Nikons recently announced D800 model.</p>

<p>Factor One: Nikons new D800 possesses incredible “curb appeal.” It is incredibly “hip” in design and is more – cosmetically – beautiful (sexy) than the more homely Canon MK3. The way a camera – looks – has always been important to most camera buyers. </p>

<p>Factor Two: The Nikon D800 is priced $500 less than the Canon MK3, and worse yet, it is priced $1000 more than the Canon MK2. Ouch! </p>

<p>Factor Three: The Nikon D800 comes with “bragging rights.” It is a 36 mega pixel body! That's a really big WOW factor! I admit I'm pretty impressed, even though I personally think all those mega pixels will be more of a nuisance than a virtue. Consumers of professional photography services often judge a photographers skill level based upon how long his lenses are and how many mega pixels his camera has. Public perception effects how professional photographers choose to equip themselves.</p>

<p>Fact Four: Canon equipment is being priced too high for no apparent reason. This is particularly true of Canon lenses which have gone up in price nearly 30% in the past two years. This is beginning to irritate a lot of Canon photographers. Dream state: “Come to think of it … I own dozens of older Nikkor AI lenses in a variety of focal lengths. Wouldn't it be nice to use to be able to use them again?” With Nikon I can. With Canon I can’t.</p>

<p>Conclusion:<br>

Shooting with either a Nikon D800 or the Canon 5D MkIII will not make your pictures look any better. Which just brings it all back to – sex appeal – bragging rights – and pricing. <br>

Disclaimer: I’m speaking strictly as a "Still" photographer. Videographers may see an entirely different set of inherent features related to their type of work </p>

<p>I don't really understand the responses about price, this is a 1Ds MkIII beater in almost every respect, the 1Ds MkIII doesn't even have video. You could go to B&H and buy a 1Ds MkIII for $6,995 today and not get half the functionality of the 5D MkIII. For less than half the money, you get more resolution, more frames per second, new AF, 100% viewfinder, twin card slots, weatherproofing to the standards of older 1 series cameras, very high quality video, electronic levels, the list goes on and on.</p>

<p>The 5D MkIII is a bargain.</p>

<p>I would much rather keep my 5D2 and purchase a real HD or 3D video camera in the $2500 range and add the new Tamron 24-70 F2.8 VR and why not get theTamron 70-300 F4-5.6 VR. I could have all this stuff and still be at the same price of a New Canon 5d Mark III or the over priced Canon 24-70 F2.8 II. <br>

When it comes to making money I think the more camera's you haave and the more versitle you cna be will make you more money than higher quality in one camera. If I am shooting a wedding I would rather have multiple shooters, so if I can give someone a 7d or pro HD video camera to use while I am shooting with my old 5D2. This is great.<br>

Espeacially when shooting video XLR audio imputs and autofocusing on standard video camera's is better than DSLR Video. So I will expand with two new VR lenses and new HD video camer rather than upgrade.</p>