5D Mark II and Pan Head Tripods

hjoseph7

For you guys that are thinking about upgrading to the 5D Mark II, don't throw away that Pan-Head tripod yet, like I

did. Well, I didn't really throw away my Pan-Head, just stored it away for later use. For still life, I found it much more

convenient to use a Ball-Head on my tripod. But now that this new camera has video capabilities, that old bulky Pan-

Head might just come in handy.

actually, I never really liked ball heads....always liked the fine control available with pan heads. After awhile my hands just "flew" to the proper arm on the head....never really slowed me down for still lifes. although i imagine with long telphotos....which i rarely use....for action shots....ball heads would come in handy. but I find for my use monopods are more my style

as far as the 5d mkii with a pan head for video............amen.........just wish mine was a fluid one.........heh.

just my thoughts on the subject....feel free to counter

hmmmm....wonder if you can mount a 5d mkii on a steadycam? maybe they can make a mini one suited just for the dslr vid cam option....that would be cool

Based on the recommendations of Edward Ingold in the tripod forum, I bought a Bogen 503hdv video head a while back.

It's overkill for my hdcam, but no comparison in the panning and tilting actions between it and a 3-way head, and who knows

what I'll be shooting in the future. I too use a ballhead/a-s system for still photos. I do use the video cam on a monopod with

arca swiss clamp for action like soccer. Does the 5d2 allow an accessory mic? That and putting the video cam on the pod

have made the two greatest improvements in my videos.

"hmmmm....wonder if you can mount a 5d mkii on a steadycam? maybe they can make a mini one suited just for the dslr

vid cam option....that would be cool"<p>

I've been looking into the options. The cheapest one I've found is this:<br><a href=http://www.imagewest.tv/index.asp?

PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=7">

http://www.imagewest.tv/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=7</a>

<p>

At under 500 bucks it's about the best you can expect. I've used a full-on Steadycam rig and they're amazing, but also

$10-14k.

"Christina Wiley , Sep 25, 2008; 01:52 p.m.

"hmmmm....wonder if you can mount a 5d mkii on a steadycam? maybe they can make a mini one suited just for the dslr vid cam option....that

would be cool"

I've been looking into the options. The cheapest one I've found is this:

http://www.imagewest.tv/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=7

At under 500 bucks it's about the best you can expect. I've used a full-on Steadycam rig and they're amazing, but also $10-14k."

Sure, you can put it on a Steadicam, but you'll probably have to operate viewing the little LCD on the back of the camera.

But, before purchasing, I would test it out. I seriously doubt you'll be able to maintain focus using the 5dII while moving the camera and the

subject. Unless the camera does some spectacular live continuous autofocus. But of course, it will not know what to focus on...

For the "pro" models, focus is controlled by remote control so as not to touch the device during the shot. And, just for fun, a "full-on" Steadicam

costs from $40,000-$60,000+. Anything less could be a professional product, but not really capable of the weight of many 35mm movie cameras.

And about the Pan Head, for real usable results, a fluid head is required, not a still camera head.