Kodachrome update

"When it is gone then we will understand what we have lost in this relentless rush to a all digital world."

You've obviously read a vastly different article from the one referenced, and/or you're a late-comer to the business realities of film photography.

Digital didn't kill Kodachrome, though it may well help to hasten the final ending just a bit. Much improved and cheaper to produce and process C41 and E6 films, as well as cultural changes amongst the non-enthusiast/casual photographer were the keys to its rapid decline.

I know people here love to bash digital at every opportunity, but K'chrome was in serious decline well before the digital revolution took hold.

Scott

DF,I hear you.One of the reasons this country is going down the tubes - we has no respect or sense of our own history and the great achievements accomplished by our parents generation.The way I read the story it praised Kodachrome for its many breakthroughs that are still relevant in todays world,just because it is a hassle to process doesn't make it crap.All of us do not live for candy colors.

There are any number of reasons for the long slow decline of Kodachrome.

<ul>

<li>The complication of the K-14 development process and the need for highly trained technicians.

<li>The large physical size of the K-14 machines

<li>The smaller machines and less complicated development process for E-6.

<li>The popularity of "saturated" slide films like Velvia and Astia.

<li>The overall decrease of interest in slide films through the 80's and 90's as C-41 films got better and more advanced.

</ul>

<p>However, digital is not one of the reasons.

<p>The only connection that digital photography has to the decline of Kodachrome in the same way that all film sales have decreased due to digital's popularity.