D-76 - How many time can D76 reuse in strength !?

andrew_hoi

I recommend one time use.

Replenishment instructions are on Kodaks web site. I consider doing this without proper control strips and densitometer readings chancy for best results. Same with just increasing time.

Buy a scale and bulk chems and you can mix a liter of a dollar. Thats 25 cents for a roll of film. If you can`t afford it, find a different hobby.

Mix your liter, put in 4 small 8 oz glass bottles and it lasts for 6 months or 4 films, whichever comes first.

As long as you split the stock solution up into 4 bottles, you should be able to get 5 rolls of film out of 1 bottle without

adjusting the time. I would not go beyond that because D-76 is cheaper than film. The bottles should last for 6 months

easy, I've heard 10. Make sure that the bottles are dark brown, or at least keep them completely out of the light except

when you are using them. Light causes some developers to break down faster.

Andrew, your question is not entirely clear. Which dilution are you asking about? Are you asking about reusing undiluted stock solution, at full strength?

Also, Kodak already provides complete information on their website:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/j78/j78.jhtml#004

Are you asking whether our experiences differ from the official data?

Bruce Cahn: Of course people will scoff at you because you are disclosing something that is not part of the inherited literature (a true knave you must be).

But in concurrence with your malfeasance I would like to elaborate on your well chosen words. For once and for all I would like to refute both Kodak's (and the common literature which is its progeny) to state that, indeed, much more film can be processed in D-76 (or any other developer you can name). What I do follows. One liter of D-76 full strength can process at least twenty 36 exposure rolls of B&W film WITHOUT REPLENISHER. I use D-76 at 1 + 7, yielding an astounding eight liters of film developer. And, again for you naysayers, I have another heresy to disclose: you can STORE the DILUTED D-76 PERMANENLY if you store it in CLEAR PLASTIC BOTTLES (water, juice, soda,etc) FILLED TO THE VERY BRIM. (Use glass marbles to take up space that is left or use different size bottles, again of this particular 'non-squeezable' plastic). These bottles do not 'breathe' and, thus, prevent oxidation from occurring. The only ways that reasonable development times will be possible at these dilutions is to either develop at warm temps (about 100F - NO your film will not self-destruct and grain will not become prominent but NEVER move from warm to COLD suddenly. Cold to WARM is always OK.) or do what I do - add a little sodium carbonate (experiment - try a teaspoon per liter to start) to the developer. I agitate the film continuously (inversion) and never give film a chance to be without fresh developer. You will never get pinholes from the sudden change from alkaline to acid if you dilute your stop. I use 15ml of 28% acetic acid per liter of stop with superb results. Now I ask the embedded naysayers: will both Bruce and I be burned at the stake?

Hi Lex,

I'm talking about the full strength solution "how many time can D76 reuse in strength "......

As per the kodak's document, D75 can develope over 100 rolls...

however, if I just once...3800mL / 500mL = 7.6 rolls..

So I would like to know how many time can be reuse withfull strength ..and any time compensate for reuse the full strength solution...

When I used to work at a newspaper and we had various combinations of 3 1/2 gallon or larger tanks and were running hundreds of rolls a week replenishment made sense because of the quantity and cost of chemicals we would go through otherwise. But for a beginner doing a few rolls here and there it is a total waste of time and you are more likely to screw it up than benefit from the few cents it will save. Likewise with trying to split a gallon or liter into a bunch of little bottles. Just mix the gallon, put it in a dark gallon bottle and use it on a one-shot basis throwing out what you've used as you use it. When the bottle is empty or after about six months throw out what's left and mix a new batch. Very simple and no way to screw up replinishment or extended times. If you do screw up, then the money you've wasted on that batch of developer or tank full of film has squandered whatever money you might have been trying to save. As they say, keep it simple.

this seems like a lot of trouble for something as ubiquitous and cheap as D-76. Unless you're doing an enormous volume of processing, why

mess with replenishment, or try to squeeze out the last nickel's worth of developer action from it?

In the whole cost of shooting images, developer is a pittance.

There are many developers which can be used for a fairly large number of rolls per quart or per gallon if the time is extended after the first roll. Fuji Microfine has instructions for this in Japanese. If you are going to use this method I would recommend that you filter the developer before pouring it back into the bottle. I have used this method successfully with Microphen. I agree that replenishment is something you really have to be careful with. In most cases it's easier to just dilute a developer like D-76 or Microphen 1:1 for one-shot use. In some cases the grain will look better if you use undiluted D-76 so it will cost a little more if you discard it after one use.

Hi Michael,

It is no problem except that you have 2 bottles instead of 1. For the average roll of film, you add 22 ml (cc's if you like) to the D76 bottle while you are developing the roll of film, after a time, your developer bottle will be brim full to over flowing, that's good, no oxidation. There are two advantages, first and most important, absolute stability, second you never know what you will get without replensihment.

Volume should be no particular problem, one or two rolls per week should do it or its equivalent in a monthly cycle. If your volume is quite low, I suggest that the D76R be stored in 4, 1qt bottles so that there is no chance of oxidizing. I've been doing this for D76, Acufine, UFG, DK50, and Microphen until they discontinued it 20 years ago (that's why I quit using microphen, one of my favorites).

Lynn