New Ektar Film

vaantique

Just decided to browse Kodak site today and saw an anouncement introducing new Ektar 100 negative film. Is this

brand new? This is the first I've heard of it. I'd love to try it with some of my classic cameras. From what I've

heard of the original Ektar 25 it was amazing quality.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/films/ektar/ektarIndex.jhtml?id=0.2.26.14.5.14&lc=en

For all practical purposes, film is dead; however, I was looking for some Ektar 25 recently and gave up. It used to be easy to find when film was alive and thriving. Nice to read about the Ek 100. I will shoot some, in October, in Humboldt County for that matter! ;)<div>00QnQC-70263584.jpg.f75615563b8fa58c16e53df1d9fd3130.jpg</div>

The Kodak site also says they're discontinuing 400UC. That leaves 400-speed users somewhat scrod. Portra 400NC has similar grain to 400UC, but 400VC is grainier. I suppose if you're scanning and processing digitally, it's simple enough to increase the saturation of the NC to taste for non-portrait images. On the other hand, the Ektar 100 should be very good for scanning.

Looks like from the site they are saying this stuff has more saturation that Portra VC, and much finer grain that Portra 160NC. As far as Andy's comment about flat light, I think this emulsion should have similar latitude of other modern print films, which means it should be able to handle more dynamic light than either slide films or older emulsions like the original Ektar. They specifically mention it having greater exposure latitude by a factor of -1 and +2. I think this new film is setting up market for the end of slide films, which has been a predictable movement in the market. Slide films are pretty much only used today by people seeking grainless images with more color saturation than print films, as well as some people wanting cross processing. Since this film offers very low grain and very high color saturation, as possibly greater exposure latitude than slide film, it just may be what people are after. (Now we just need a print film that produces the cross processed look everytime.... get to work on that Kodak!) Hopefully, Kodak will continue to push for more and more emulsions with lower grain and finer detail and better color. I'd love to see a variant of this with the color profile of 160NC or Gold 200. Since there are actually physical limitations to the usefulness of larger megapixel digital cameras (look up diffraction limit), I do believe that it's possible for print films to be produced that directly compete with digital in terms of sharpness and blow it out of the water in terms of color graduation and latitude.