Holy Mother

mdoyle

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If everything's holy, then nothing is. It's sort of like the grade school self esteem movement: if everyone is Special, then, really, nobody is. Why trot out a word like "holy," and apply it equally to churches and Ebola? The universe simply IS. A stack of stones arranged like a church is only as noble, or holy, or dignified as what you do with it and in it. And since that takes people, and people's definitions of what "holy" is supposed to even mean - to them - it sort of negates the notion of holiness being somehow bound up in the mortar and the steel and the glass and the stone that's been labeled as a church (when the same materials could also be used to build ... a photograpy studio!).

<br><br>

Our brains share - with many other animals - the ability to perform very high speed pattern recognition. This is especially useful in spotting predartors and prey. Hense the wide variety of animals and insects that have evolved fake faces in their markings (say, butterflies) designed to give the viewer (a rival, or a predator) pause. We're able to pick out a face in a crowd of faces, or a face barely seen in a lot of other visual noise, because millions of years of evolution has rewarded that skill. Improvements in tribal social nuances, hunting, and evading predators based on that talent are all reinforced through more succesful reproduction... and thus strengthening of that low-level cognitive skill in the gene pool.

<br><br>

The problem? Picking out faces is done so automatically by our brains that the mechanisms doing the work are sometimes fooled (as mentioned above ... by tree bark, shadows, rust stains on the wall, etc). Combine this tendency with some people's life-long investment in gambling that supernatural things are actually natural... and you get Virgin Mary appearances on burnt toast, malformed potatos, etc.

<br><br>

I earn myself a lot of social discomfort in some circles by being so blunt about this, but I'd hope that in a venue populated by thoughtful observers, recorders, and manipulators of light ... that there'd be less - here on photo.net - than the demographically typical attribution of a feather pattern to magic powers. Alas, I should know better. Even here, we get the occasional - apparently sincere - inquiry about photographs of "spirit orbs" (flash-lit dust particles) and the like. I'm not hopeful that we'll be free of that (any more than we'll be free from people trying to sauce up their love life with ground-up rhinocerous horn, or folks who were REALLY sure we had ourselves a Bigfoot photo the other day, etc) for a long time. Too much mysticism takes hold of too many people too early in their lives, and it just never gets a good shaking out. So, sorry if I've lost any recently acquired friends just now, but some of that stuff just has to be said once in a while.

" We are all looking for a sign. We are all looking for devine help "

I'm not looking for either .... however I am still looking for a pair of sunglasses that I haven't seen since I got back from vacation in February.

Unlike divine help and signs from God, those sunglasses actually are around here somewhere but I'm dammed if I can locate them.

Matt--

While there are religious crazies on both sides of the aisle, I'm sorry but there is no moral equivalency here in what the

fundamentalist right tries to do and the power it has versus what the few religious nuts on the left do. As we fight against

the repeal of gay marriage led by the religious right here in California, as we try to hold onto a woman's right to choose by

the skin of our high-court-teeth, as we fight the onslaught against secular freedom by those who insist on prayer in

school, as we end eight years of a president who believes he talks to God and runs his incompetent administration in a

manner similar to the way the hierarchy of the church monitored its pedophile priests, it's hard for me to see the rantings

of Rev. Wright or the silliness of the DNC protesters you mention in at all a similar or serious light. I get really weary of

the argument that both sides are wacky. That's just a way of avoiding the truth. Which is that one side is really taking

this country down . . . almost as if intentionally.

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

As a catholic I particularly dislike these kind of 'signs'. Perhaps it's just me, but to my believers eyes there is nothing to be seen: and that comes from the fervour of an admirer of Thomas de Torquemeda.

Even if the Virgin Mary were plainly visible, moles and freckles as sharp as by an FD 55/1.2 aspherical with miraculously perfect bokeh (not otherwise possible with his lens) the picture could so easily be dismissed as a fraud. The disbeliever would still not believe, and justly.

These kinds of idiotic signs are in any case incompatible with the nature of faith, and they make Catholicism appear to be a religion of superstition and fools. Any true religion must also be that of the simple, and the unlearned, but not of foolishness: the OP is the kind of person who, in my opinion, is most likely to not have genuine faith, or else be at high risk of apostasy.

I met a chap who became a catholic on the basis of a supposed picture of the Virgin Mary that to my eyes appeared to be the kind of oof background you get in macro bug pics: there was just nothing there but nice bokeh. Even this nonsensical pigeon has got more going for it. God have mercy on him: he needs it.

But then again I haven't read the whole of this thread: perhaps the OP has revealed it all to be a (stupid) joke.

It is remarkable, Mark. It kind of resembles a person. I don't see a woman in a veil, though, it looks like someone

with a beard. I agree that our minds often matrix what we see into what is familiar to us. That being said, let me just

add that I hope you're not offended by any of the rantings on here discarding your find merely because it resembles a

religious icon. Not everyone is a believer or choses to place their faith in God--choosing instead to believe that

those who do are stupid or mislead. Don't let that put you off. I appreciate your sharing it because I've never seen

anything like that in a photograph. I have seen the occasional potato chip shaped like Elvis, the sweet potato

shaped like Abraham Lincoln, and the toast with the face of Jesus. It's interesting and I appreciate you sharing it,

regardless of whether it's religious icon or a secular one.

" We are all looking for a sign. We are all looking for devine help "

Yes we ALL are aren't we? LOL. Didn't Devine coach Notre Dame and the GB Packers?

What will be the exact day (and price?) of the 5D upgrade announcement by Canon -- tomorrow?