Soccer League

I'm presenting my work to the soccer league in my area. I would like to set up a booth on opening day. I want to

advertise my work through my photos and my storybook. I will have a sign up sheet posted for the parents who are

interested in me taking photos at home games (only). This idea was presented to me by a mom who loved my work

and purchased some of my photos. I'm not sure what I should price. I was thinking of sixty to eighty dollars for an

cd of 72 photos. My cost would be $20, $15 for car, gas, maintaince, the total of $35. The reminder would be a

profit of $25 dollars for an hour of work. I never earned that type of money before. The local film shop is willing to

give me film at cost in a bundle. I would appreciate anybody's input since I new to this field of photography.

Sincerely,

Kristina

Good luck in your endeavor! It can be very exciting, but also very demanding. If you are considering this as a money-

making project, then I strongly consider you sit down and write up a business plan so you can fairly assess ALL the

components of this effort.

Start with your gear - good sports photography is high-end-gear intensive (read expensive). You need to have your

pictures be something that soccer mom & dad won't be able to capture with their consumer cameras and lenses.

That generally means long and fast lenses (preferably f 2.8) to get that 'pop'.

Your film shop is willing to give you a deal on film since they are expecting to do very well with all that film

development business you will be bringing.

The film vs digital debate has been beaten to death on this and other forums, but in action sports digital has a

decided advantage in the areas of speed and volume. In a single soccer or field hockey game I might take between

300 - 400 pictures. These are fast paced sports, and you will need a fast frame rate to help capture those key

moments, preferably 5-10 fps. I'd hate to miss the game winning goal or keeper save because I was in the process of

changing film (happened to me when I was shooting my daughter's games ...)

In your business plan take a close look at all your expenses and time invested. How much time will you spend with

post processing? Even if the shop includes the images on a CD as part of their processing package, cropping and

color correction will take some time. Who will be burning the CD's? How much time will that take? How much time

will it take to drop off and pick up the film and pictures? I'd wager that it will end up at significantly more than one

hour of work for that $25.

Don't be surprised if the league wants a percentage of your profits for the access to their games and players. This is

becoming quite common, especially for the lucrative team and individual (T&I) business.

Now, some advice on the positive side. Focus your efforts on younger teams and rec league teams. By the time

travel teams are at the U12 level, they have played in dozens of tournaments and the players and parents have seen

loads of pictures. They are still willing to look (kids love pictures of themselves), but soccer mom is much more

willing to open the wallet when the players are young and the family is new to the whole experience.

Having said all that, don't be discouraged by any of this. While it can take an awful lot of work to be profitable, it can

be a lot of fun and very rewarding in many different ways. I'd suggest you head over to the sports forum here as well

as at fredmiranda.com for a look at the pictures others are taking and the forum questions/debates. Don't be

discouraged by how good their images are, use them as examples for the shaping of your personal style.

Best of luck - let us know how it goes!

Pat

"I will have a sign up sheet posted for the parents who are interested in me taking photos at home games (only)."

Usually a soccer game lasts only about an hour(4, 15 minute quarters). Parents who sign up, will want you to concentrate on their kid and their kid only. If let's say 6 parents sign up, that means you will have to concentrate on those six kids. If you are shooting for a League then you don't have to concentrate on a particular kid and you can charge them one flat fee determined ahead of time, which should make things easier.

The minimum requirement for a lens to shoot soccer games is 300mm and that's with a 1.6X cropping facto camerar. You can get by with something smaller, but your pictures will not look like those full blown shots in Sports Illustrated, the type of pictures parents love to buy.

I would recomend a 400mm lens if you want those types of pictures. The down side to a 400mm, is that the lens is BIG and HEAVY which limits your mobility. Usually with a 400mm lens you pick a spot some where on the field and let the Action come to you.

Having photographed my sons baseball and soccer league for the past 4 years and having parents ask me for photos of their child, I can only second what both Patrick and Harry have said. A LOT of time, a LOT of energy. Unless you are very experienced you will miss the winning goal, etc. And you want to charge how much? "Well I could bring my own camera..."(a parent will say.)

And you may run into the "happy Dad," who will be glad to "give" away digital files of the game to whomever requests a few shots of their soccer player. He (or she, if its a Mom) will be the one with a Nikon D200 or D300, and a AF 70-300mm lens that is just having fun at the soccer matches..... [i've seen this done at the local middle school level...he was just helping other parents.]

A great deal of my early work was as 'parent with a 75-300 lens'. Don't let that limit you - if you are using the same

gear then just make sure you do so much more with it than the parent can. WORK the game - move around to make

sure the sun is behind you and that your shots have variety to them. This means spending time polishing and using

your post-processing skills so your finished product is still going to be way better than what soccer parent can easily

come up with. You want soccer mom to say - "Since you are here I'm just going to put my camera down and enjoy

the game" - I've heard that a few times and it feels really good.

I spent money on the gear I mentioned earlier because I wanted my pictures to be better. In addition to amazingly

better image quaility, the big advantage having the white 'L' lenses is that it tells everyone you are serious. How does

this help? I've been able to shoot from locations that the refs would have shooed me away from if they realized I was

just a parent.

Not sure the money is worth it for the gear? Try renting it. I rented some top end lenses from borrowlenses.com and

it showed me what the possibilities were and helped set the direction for future purchases. (Now just have to save my

quarters ...)

I'll attach some photos as examples if I can master the technology.

Again, let us know how it is going!<div>00QJoB-60243584.jpg.f141fadba1675e2e7423015d9f4ca5c3.jpg</div>

Okay, last one. Include pictures of the refs and parents to capture the feel of the game. This isn't a picture soccer

mom is probably going to buy individually, but if you include it in the CD she will love it.

(Sorry, field hockey Mom just doesn't have the same ring to it)<div>00QJpP-60247684.jpg.ca5db0ca852f1f025631ded7d599758e.jpg</div>

Thank you all for answering my question. I appreciate it so much. WoW these photos are awesome. I tried to upload some of my pictures to show but it's not working so well. I did crop some of mine photos to bring them up closers. I took pictures of everybody. I'm learning about my camera and five lenses. I have the 70-210 lense which is my longest. One lesson I did learn is to go up and down the field and get as close as possible. My pictures didn't turn out if I just sat on the bleachers or stayed in one place. I'm trying to figure out the choices I can give to the people. I charged only 1.50 a picture for indiviual pictures this year and the group photo of the team. The coach told me to charge more then .50 cents since my pictures are good. My .50 cents was last fall. Besides, I was doing it for my son and practiceing on my cameras. I have two cameras and a cheap digital. I was thinking of getting other pentax 35 mm off ebay because the kind I have you can buy for a reasonable cost along with some more lenses. I'll try to upload some of my photos for critfqueing. However, I'm new so bare with me. Once, again a big thanks to everybody.<div>00QLOe-60721584.thumb.jpg.99959deac1d6a0e61ba55e702b74606d.jpg</div>

Couple of things to keep in mind:

1. Make sure your horizons are straight - can often be corrected in post-processing. I have a bad habit of holding the camera so that the images are tilted slightly. Drives me crazy ...

2. Watch out for backgrounds. Soccer complexes have a lot going on, and it seems that there is always something distracting in the background. Careful positioning and/or fast lenses wide open can help. The wide open fast lenses contribute the nicely blurred backgrounds which separate the 'advanced' photographer from most soccer Moms.

3. Digital cameras with less than full frames can be a distinct advantage, effectly increasing the reach of your lens. With a 1.6 crop camera, your 70-200 becomes a 112-320 lens. In addition, digital lets you take a lot of shots for relatively little cost. I'd spend my money on a decent digital SLR.

4. If your lens reach is limited, position yourself behind the goal and shoot the players coming at you.

5. Rule of thumb - you always want the following components in the shot: a) face b) ball c) action. There are exceptions of course, but those are key components to pictures soccer mom wants to buy.

Couple of things to keep in mind:

1. Make sure your horizons are straight - can often be corrected in post-processing. I have a bad habit of holding the

camera so that the images are tilted slightly. Drives me crazy ...

2. Watch out for backgrounds. Soccer complexes have a lot going on, and it seems that there is always something

distracting in the background. Careful positioning and/or fast lenses wide open can help. The wide open fast lenses

contribute the nicely blurred backgrounds which separate the 'advanced' photographer from most soccer Moms.

3. Digital cameras with less than full frames can be a distinct advantage, effectly increasing the reach of your lens.

With a 1.6 crop camera, your 70-200 becomes a 112-320 lens. In addition, digital lets you take a lot of shots for

relatively little cost. I'd spend my money on a decent digital SLR.

4. If your lens reach is limited, position yourself behind the goal and shoot the players coming at you.

5. Rule of thumb - you always want the following components in the shot: a) face b) ball c) action. There are

exceptions of course, but those are key components to pictures soccer mom wants to buy.

6. Avoid shooting into the sun - really messes up your exposures. Unfortunately most games seem to be played in

the harsh afternoon sunlight.<div>00QLgi-60809584.jpg.e6192f18ac05f82f649a55652fdcfb84.jpg</div>

Nice shots Patrick...tell me now...what soccer mom/dad with a $300 digital can come out with images like these! But many think they can! Lord, Patrick, I do hope the parents of the kids you shot appreciate the quality and expression. Nice work.

JP

Thank you for your advice. I seeeee a huge difference between your work and mine. I need to get closer, watch the background and more crisp of pictures. I'm calling the small business or BB for some grant money they offer women who are starting up their own business. If I can get a grant then I could purchase better camera with some longer lenses. I onlly have two Pentax cameras one is a K1000 and a ME auto focus(which can be annonying). This is why I'm going to charge less for my work until I get more experience under my belt. I want to purchase a Canon 700 and a expensive digital camera( I have to do research). Thank you for your time and advice. At some time I'm going to put pictures in the critique forum. I also, found a place who can put my pictures onto a CD without developing the pictures for half the cost. So, now I can be more reasonable like $45 for 72 pictures. I know it might be low but I"m new. I'm also offering a hardcover or soft cover book of pictures they can purchase seperate. I'm going to offer choices from the lowest to highest package. Sincerely, Kristina

Kristina -

Sounds like you're off to a good start. I do sports photos for swimming, baseball and hopefully basketball... The

keys today are:

1. Immediacy - Everyone wants their photos now. They don't want to wait a week to get them, they want them

tomorrow. That pretty much eliminates film.

2. Shelf life of photos - Sporting photos (unless you plan on selling for stock) have a very short shelf life - 1

- 2 weeks after the event. I've had the exception to this of course where a parent called me 3 - 4 months after

the event and asked if she could get a photo.

3. Focus on their kids - Easier in sports such as baseball (everyone bats), swimming (basically an individual

sport) Harder in football (unless the kid is star), soccer, etc...

4. Get the shots that the parents can't get. Work with the league to get access to the sidelines. Most leagues

don't allow parents on the sidelines for the obvious reasons, but some don't care where the parents are. I have

parents ask me all the time, how come they can't take the same shot with their P/S digital from the stands that I

get from the sidelines with my DSLR. (I even have other DSLR owners ask me the same thing)

5. As mentioned above the sheer volume of shots makes film difficult... During a 2.5 day swimming event, it's not

uncommon for me to shoot 5 - 8 thousand frames. Baseball - Tournament (2 day) about 1500 frames. No way I could

do that with film.

Instead of buying a Canon 700 I'd hold on my money and use it to buy a good digital body and great lens. You can

find a good used DSLR body for under $1,000.00 and a 3 rd party prime (f2.8) zoom for around $700.00

Next find a website that allows you to sell photos directly to the parents. I use Express Digital PhotoReflect.

They charge a percentage of sales, but they handle all the credit processing including fraud situations, so I

don't have to deal with that. Smugmug / Flickr / Photobucket all offer "pro" options too.

Also check with your state's attorney general website. They list the requirements for starting a business,

including payment of sales tax. Some states / areas require photographers to be licensed, others don't.

Finally - Check out the competition. Chances are there are other sports photographers in your area that are

already set up and running. See what they charge, how they market and adapt to your business. The great thing

about this is that there are so many events, teams, etc... that 1 photographer can't cover it all. During summer

(for example) we have multiple lacrosse, baseball, softball, swimming, tennis, and soccer leagues going. All have

events on the same days and times, so trying to do it all is impossible.

Good Luck!

Dave

Thank you David for you advice. I talked with my tax lady and she wasn't sure if there's sales tax. I never paid sales tax on any of my photos but I guess I have to check my local website. However, what I was going to do with the film was put the pictures onto a CD and burn a picture of the child on it. This way they can decide what pictures they want. I'm going to have seperate prices for my invidual photos. Also, to my knowledge there isn't another photographer in my area who does this. They only do the usuals or they charge a traveling fee. Since, I'm new to this my rates are going to be afforable but I also disagree with the largely gross overpayment of photographers. I appreciate the advice on the DSLR. I have to use the two cameras I have first. If this comes a reality then I'll be looking at better cameras. Thank you again, I can use all the help to get started. My presentation to the soccer league is Thursday night. I'm really nervouse because my shots aren't like the guy above. However, I'm getting better by the day. LOL

I am enjoying following your conversation. I am new to this forum and have already learned so much. I too am just a

parent who enjoys taking photos of my kids and their teams. It becomes addicting and help to keep my stress down.

Funny thing is I do usually end up with more shots of players other than my own...because I get too excited when

things are going well or poorly and my own child is involved. Beautiful shots Patrick. So good of you to show us what

we can strive for. I have been practicing for awhile and I think that I have found I may have been mistaken in choosing

a Sony Alpha 100 a few years ago. I have found that there just aren't as many lenses available for it. I now eny you

for your talent and equiptment. Unfortunately, my preferred sport is Ice hockey. The speed and lighting are both

issues.

However you are so correct in suggesting that one just continue to move about until you find the spots that work for

you. I have also taken advantage of allowing the action to come my way. I would post a few, but I haven't learned how

to do that just yet.<div>00QPAC-61977584.thumb.jpg.a4991ab0ee9f577e518560288e0c0c55.jpg</div>