Soccer League

I like your last picture. The referee down trying to keep the team apart, Mindy. Thank you for replying . I'm new to this all forum and it gets confusing. I'm so nervous about Thursday night, now. I saw Patrick's work and mine isn't as nice. I now, know what to do but still afraid. Mine work doesn't compare and I was fine before because people in the area like my work. However, if I get this job then I will purchase new equipement during or afterwards. First, thing first, I need a job to pay for new equipement. I tired to call the small business but the lady in charge is not in until Friday. I pray the Lord opens this part-time career. I would like to do something besides being a stay at home mom.

Take Care, Kristina<div>00QPX4-62105584.thumb.jpg.93be78c89aa7bc2d0c853e78dfbe0cba.jpg</div>

I love the way Patrick put the photos from distracting to good. I'm not going to be afraid of being on the line. Thursday night I'm asking permission to be on the line. Matter of fact, I'm going to practice where to set up at the practices starting in a few weeks or before with my children.

Kristina -

Take this for what's it worth, but if my tax person couldn't tell me if I have to pay sales tax to the state for

sales of items in that state, they wouldn't be my tax person very long! ;-)

Most, if not all states have a sales tax, the exceptions are Alaska, Delaware, Hawaii, Montana, New Hampshire and

Oregon. If you're in one of those, then you avoid a huge pain.

As for the photos...just relax... have fun and practice. Patrick didn't get to be as good as he is overnight.

Nobody I know did... I look back on old photos and am amazed that people bought them....and guess what? I'm still

learning...figuring out what sells and what doesn't. Shots that I think are good vs what the people want to buy

are sometimes different things.... Ex: I had one parent who wanted a complete 6 shot sequence of her daughter

doing the butterfly stroke.... Normally the shots with no head visible go to the trash bucket... but because she

was specific I didn't dump them that day... and guess what? 3 or 4 other parents wanted the same thing!

Understand completely about being limited on budget...good luck getting a grant... our state's sba will only give

loans now, and most of the time you can get a better deal from a credit card company!

Dave

Thank you for your response. I needed a good laugh. I've sat down the last few days and came up with my business plan. So, I'm starting at low the first year just to see if there's a response to this. My husband taught me the equation of the math. Materials, Labor, and Overhead =COST. My prices are still low(some think people think is to high) 72 photos for $50 onto a CD only(no pictures). I'm new like what we dicussed before and it's going to take time. Besides, I'll know tonight if they allow me this opportunity. Thank you, Dave

Are you thinking a full team's shots - 72 of the full team (about 6 per kid?) on CDs that each parent might want for $50? Or to expect to have 72 shots that are more or less individual (not too many going to be without others in the picture) and try for $50 from each set of parents?

We've been out of soccer for a couple of years now. I think year before last was the first year in quite a few that we didn't have daughters either playing or coaching. The action photographer (actually one of his photographers) for our league would typically shoot a game, maybe two, for each team, the second being primarily for the other team but sometimes pictures would be better for the opposing team and be available for purchase again). The photographer would spend some time on each child, aftr a certain number of shots, then follow another, etc. Usually they'd catch all of them, a possibility with sitting out quarters, they might miss one. Those pictures would all be available in a couple of weeks. Sliding scale, 4x6 prints. choose from what was there. By the time you got to $25 (perhaps higher now), you could have all of the prints of your child if he/she was the primary player in the picture. No reprints, no touch-ups, no re-orders. (With 3000 players, not a lot of time to do "custom" work.) No CDs.

One problem with CDs only is that they will probably want a way to see the pictures before buying. Depending on where you are $50 more from each parent is going to be a hard sell. We didn't even have all the parents take 5-6 or so at $25 for all of them. Younger teams, the ones where you can't see the knees buy more readily. Older kids? The parents will have been buying before and will be more critical (not like you'd find here) and will simply be looking for "better" results.

Maybe your right. I was thinking or $50 of one particular child if the parents wanted only their child. Then if the team wanted me to take pictures of the all team then there would be discounts on the CD and it would be 72 photos for less then $50. However, I was also trying to sell team storybooks without the price of a CD. Where I could come in take photos of the all team then put the pictures into a 7x5 book riced from $95-55 depending on how many order. A book 11x8 priced at $145-100 depending on how many order. Each book as 20 pages. The more people who order books less they have to pay. Then if they saw a photo they liked I would charge $4 4x6. If they wanted or have a website with my photos on of the games.

Sincerely,

Kristina

Kristina,

Sounds like you are well on your way to an excellent adventure. Don't get wrapped up in discussions about equipment - focus on getting the most out of the gear you do have. Better gear doesn't compensate for poor skills. For now work on seeing and capturing the game in ways the parents wouldn't. The memory book is a great idea. I've done them using mypublisher and blurb. I create a book as a gift for the coach. The girls could then sign it and present it at the team dinner. This always ends up in sales to parents - they are generally more willing to buy when they see the finished product. Keep us up to date as things move along this fall. ... Pat