how much is too much $$ to get your business going?

....without getting much back in proceeds from sales? i've spent a small fortune and have yet to make enough to just

break even. i've gone thru my savings. my stuff is in two gallery shops in ME and RI and i've been accepted into

several juried arts shows this summer, but i'm afraid i don't have enough to keep doling out to make prints, buy

backing boards, mats, and plastic envelopes, etc. do i just use the stock i have and hope for the best? what about

new photos i take daily? what's the best way to grow your business---fast?! or to procure funds other than high

interest loans? i'm serious, kids. (seriously broke) any advice is sorely needed and appreciated. thanks, lori

At this point you shpould probably stop and re-evaluate your business plan:

What kinds of photography are needed by clients in your area? Have you done any marketing research?

Do you have a.) the interest and desire in going after that kind of work and b.) the technical chops and tools

and business acumen to go after that kind of work, or c.) do you have the desire to leanr what you need to learn

to go after that kind of work?

Do you have a business plan and a marketing plan and an independent someone to consult with on a regular basis?

Most overnight , quick successes are actually built on years of steady slogging in the making and then solid

exploitation of the openings and opportunities as they open up, which they always do if you are prepared to see

them.

Do you have a business plan? How do you plan to make money from your photography? How much capital are you willing to invest in your business before "pulling the plug"?

These are all questions you should know the answers to before making any decisions.

Maybe selling prints isn't your best opportunity, maybe it's RM stock. Or maybe assignments, with the daily shooting just for pleasure... You need to define your business plan and execute that plan.

<Chas>

It may not be "art" in one sense, but does your town have a Little League baseball field? You could try a few games and see if any of the parents are looking for a few decent images. You have to hustle but if money is your goal, you'll have to work for it. Same would go for a summer gymnastics center.

Good luck.

Hi Lori,

All good advise to go with here, there is a guy on this site who is full of good business advise and has written a few books on the subject, but his name escapes me.

One thing that is constant is that you need a business plan, just wanting to sell prints at shows and Galleries is not going to make you enough money. You must research your niche market and assess its strengths and weaknesses, what opportunities are available to you due to your talents and what will threaten that action you wish to take.

How much money is too much, that depends on how bad you want to succeed, I personally sold my house and moved 4000km from home to buy my business, 4 kids and wife came with me luckily.

However sometimes you have to fail in order to succeed, so many successful people have won and lost in order to learn from their mistakes or misfortunes before they won again, its all about desire and determination!

Good luck.

I have known several great photographers, that do fantastic work and you know what? No one has heard of them or will. The odds of

becoming a successful art photographer that pays the bills by art alone is like getting an NFL contract.

Juried arts shows are great personal achievements but no one outside the photo community cares. I am in no way putting you down.

That is just the cold reality we live and work in. A few years ago I would have suggested stock photography but that market has taken a

plunge deeper than the Mariana Trench.

So how good are you with people? How is your salesmanship? Can you work with others? Have you tried to work for a studio? Shoot a

wedding?. To be blunt in todays world salesmanship and customer service is just as important as shooting skills. I wish I had an easy

answer but I don't.

Right now we are in a recession, it is a tough vicious market. So you need a real business plan and marketing plan. If you need a new

pice of gear rent it don't buy it. Look for realistic paying jobs. Remember you are only as good as your last shoot so show your work.

Have portfolios target to your markets.

"there is a guy on this site who is full of good business advise and has written a few books on the subject, but his name escapes me. "

http://www.danheller.com

highly recommended. I have been a successful professional photographer for more than 20 years before I read his books, and I learned enough to make my business more profitable.

When you are ready and know whic hdirection you want to head, then thin kabout joining a professional organization like PPA, ASMP or APA (if they have a chapter in your area.

Go to seminars and photogrpaher presentations and galleries --this always inspires me and makes my work better and increases my enthusiasm.

Physically Hang out with people who enjoy what they are doing and shy away from gloomy people --they really do tend to drag you down.

Check out the latest issue of Photo District News. On page 42 is an article titled "How to Finance your Growth". Seems to address a lot of your concerns and supports a lot of the suggestions mentioned here.

Ideally one really wants a business that throws of gobs of cash with little labor, little capital, nil advertising and with no technical risks;and no competitors. :) You need a business plan. Injecting cash and burning thru it has been done my millions of business before they sank. You are probably to close to the problem', emotionally too involved with looks and art; and not the bottom line. Expenses needs to be radically controlled. Money thats spent needs to be questioned at all levels. `Experiment with images for differnet areas; you might be marketing in a saturated field; and you next door neighbor might want a cool image of his hot rod, horse, kids etc.

Well, your profile kind of says it. Photography is your creative outlet. You like taking pictures and you're good enough to have them exhibited. But, to make a business out of photography is to do a lot of grunt work to make the money. You create art. Much of the business is doing other people's biddings. I don't know if that's what an artist would want to do.

sorry for the delayed response...not feeling well. thank you all so very much for your thoughtful, insightful responses. the connecting thread here seems to be that i need a real business plan., which i don't have. the prospect of writing one seems daunting to me, especially since i have no answers to a lot of the questions involved w/such a plan...examples of which i looked at online. if you have any suggestions as to how, where or a particular site you've found easy with which to work, please advise.

"there's a reason that 'starving' is often a modifier of 'artist'. not quite there, yet, robert, but thanks for the heads-up!

yesterday i was accepted into a 'real' local gallery for an exhibit in the not too distant future! she was on the jury of the july 4th festival i was in, and really loved my pix. wish me luck, friends!

agaun, thanks for all your supportive responses....i am very grateful to be a part of this wonderful community, lori

I'd suggest reading Ralph's response a few times. There is no business plan that will help you make a living from gallery shows without shooting to the top quickly. I know highly successful "art photographers" who make their living from very mundane photography.

The amount of money people will pay for prints is actually quite small. Brooks Jensen, who publishes Lenswork Magazine, has an excellent article that doesn't appear to be online about how the price of a print needs to be realistic, like under $100 for most people. You have to compare it with things people really have to buy. When it comes down to a choice of a tank of gas, dinner for a week, or a photographic print, the money isn't going to land on the print.

thanks, jeff, i found that out the hard way on friday. lots of people stopped by and i got lots of fine accolades, but

only sold one small, inexpensive print. the economy just isn't supporting the arts this year...food and gas come first,

and often there's nothing left for what may be considered superfluous purchases like art. we also decided that local

arts and crafts fairs are the wrong venue for the sale of fine art. there are shows for just that, and and they attract

the people who are looking to buy (and have the resources), upon which i should focus. problem is, they have entry

fees in the hundreds of dollars and you all know where i stand w/that! so i'm in a quandry as to which side of the fork

in the road to travel down. you have all given me pause for thought, and i have and will. your continued support is

inspiring and i welcome any further thoughts on the subject you may have. thanks, once again, lori

I think the "fine art" road is a very hard road to travel to try to make any money. Many get the MFA's and wind up teaching in a college. IF you were doing wedding photographt or some other commercial photography that would be easier I think.

The advice that your question has generated is excellent information. Also, I strongly encourage you to read Dan

Heller as suggested in some of the responses to your question. He is a good writer. However, I think that he does

one of the best jobs in getting photographers to clearly make the distinction between business and photography.

I agree that you must have a business plan. And, I also understand your anxieties about the business plan process. I

want to suggest that you put together a marketing plan. On a very basic level marketing is about clearly

communicating your marketing message to a warm and willing audience.

Marketing is simple really:

1. Find your audience

2. Find out what your audience wants

3. Give (sell) it to them

Sometimes, photographers confuse quality photography with sellable photography. Photography that successfully

sells has effective marketing associated with it.