Cruise Photographers...need info

I am thinking of applying for a job as a cruise photographer with the company Image Group.

Because of this I am very interested in exactly what the life/ job of a cruise photographer entails.

What exactly do they do? What is shipboard life like?

What kind of camera gear do they use and / or do they provide you with some?

What of security for your own camera gear?

Ect...

I have been on cruises before so I know that they use flashes. My problem

is that I don't normally use flash and I was wondering if this will be a problem for me?.

Will I be trained before I go onboard?

I am terrified of screwing up if I actually apply and get this job..

Please, somebody help... any information will be most appreciated.

Loretta.

Ohhhh, yikes.

You really need to do some homework before taking a job like this.

First, hone your all around skills, which includes familiarizing yourself with basic TTL flash techniques. You don't need to be an "expert" but you definitely need to know how to get good results consistently.

Second, you need to get some business chops. You sound like a lamb, too young for shearing.

Third, umm... I'll let the other folks pile on.

I'm surprised if you've taken cruises before you didn't talk to crew members about their work, environment & life. Many cruise lines sign people up for 6-9 month contracts to fulfill specific jobs. Often the working day is 12-18 hours, again depending on the job. The expectation is that you will be passenger focussed, so don't expect a lot of privacy or personal life. Most of the shipboard photographers I've met over the years perform several routine tasks: official portraits for ID purposes of passengers embarking, formal portraits taken on Captain;s night, Studio work (on larger ships), cinematography capturing all the shipboard events which is then shown 24/7 on the cable TVs in passengers, staterooms, still photos of the tables/groups at dinner, photos of the groups at each of the tour options in port (usually cinema) and on & on. No, I'm not experienced in it, but over many years of cruises, I've taken the time to spend with onboard photographers, actors & dancers to try to get a sense of their jobs. I did spend three years at sea personally, but that was as a naval officer many years ago. Good luck in your pursuit...but do try to get a sense of what the job involves before committing.

Do you know how to swim? :-)

I have a musician friend who did a gig on cruise ships for awhile several years ago. He said it was fun at first but became very boring rather quickly.

Sorry I can't answer any questions about life as a photographer on a cruise ship, my 3.5 years at sea were in the Navy and that's a completly different world. I did serve as ship's photographer when needed for part of that time but as I said there's no comparison.

Loretta, at the cruise company that I worked for the Photo section was handled by an independent vendor with 1 year contracts. He was responsible to provide all equipment including processing and printing machines. He would thereon be responsible for contracting personnel (photographers) to do the actual shooting. I used to work alongside since I was Marketing & Sales Manager in charge of advertising material production so I got a pretty good idea of what you go through while working a cruise. I assume that you would join an existing vendor and shoot only.

Aside from having to have very good all around skills since you would be shooting in every possible lighting condition (bright sun, night, indoor, outdoor..) you have to have EXCELLENT communication skills since your main subjects will be people. Photographing people is like fishing: two guys standing on the shore with same equipment and one is taking out fish by the dozen while the other can't seam to catch anything. I photographed a cruise once with a well known fashion photographer who is a sweet little guy and has the amazing ability to approach, relax and discretely manipulate people to get wonderful shots with seemingly no effort. Along with all of this you have to work very fast with guaranteed good results and most probably preposterous hours. My opinion is that in your case (unless you will work alongside seasoned professionals who will be willing and able to help your pick up experience) you should gather some experience shooting e.g. weddings & street before you actually join the cruise. Best regards, Nick.

I must say that so far the job does not sound all that appealing....

6-8 months is a long time to be away from home should I fail at this...

I am chiefly a fine art photographer, that is truly where my heart lies.

But, in choosing this area to work in

I think that I got caught up in the 'romance' of cruising the world

and shooting in all of these exotic places...

Are there any good points to working as a cruise ship photographer?

There appears to be 2 threads running concurrently about this, so I'll post this reply to both.

I currently work on a cruise ship as a music director. On this cruise line, the photogs are hired with no experience necessary. I even know a photo manager or two who don't actually own a camera of thier own. The company supplies all of the equipment and trains everyone on board. Hours are limited to 10 per day, 7 days a week. After that is overtime, which they try to avoid. The job is almost entirely portraiture - infront of backdrops set up around the ship, or "environmental" portraites around the ship for certain events. There is the occasional wedding for some extra cash, but it'll be the cheapest wedding you've ever done. Even though it's all digital now and overhead is nominal, there is still a lot of pressure to sell. The few I have come across who were already serious photogrophers before they came to the ships have found this job to be stagnating, barely tolerable, at best, and only a means to an end. They were from Eastern Europe, so, at the time, the exchange rate made the money worth it. I have yet to meet an American photog here. The money/hours/work just aren't worth it.

On the other hand, you do get to see some cool places and make some good friends from all over the world.

Sean