NYIP

josheudowe

Does anyone have any experience with NYIP classes? I recently got a catalog,

but didn't realize that their class are online. I'm skeptical how much you really can

learn from an online class. Any thoughts?

Also, could someone recommend an educational course that travels to a

destination (i.e. National Parks, etc.)? To me, the best method for learning is by

doing, seems like a good place to start in terms of formal training.

Thanks -

Josh Eudowe

I took their course and I found the interaction with the professors and feedback on my photos to be very helpful (which you get with each lesson set). Just that was worth the $750 I recall spending. The content itself can be found just about anywhere, but it pretty well laid out for a newbie looking for a complete set of instruction. The most surprising thing was that much of the content is still on cassette, but they do now have DVD content included in their curriculum.

I took the first Analog or Traditional Photgraphy course with NYIP years ago and found it very helpful, so I decided to enroll into the Digital Photography course. When I called up to register, the folks at NYIP told me that I needed a scanner, a printer and a copy of Photoshop(and of course a computer), so keep that in mind.

At the time I had neither(except the computer), so I asked them if I could get by with just the Photoshop, they said yes, only if I had access to a scanner or printer. About a year later(after purchasing the scanner, printer and PS) I enrolled into the course.

Instead of booklets and VHS this time the Lessons came on CD-roms, but you can print the material if you care to do so and if you dont mind spending more money on ink.

Once again I think the courses were very helpful for me, with tips and hints that you can't find anywhere even in a more formal course. There are 6 CD's Units, actually 7 Units, but one of them is just an introduction and just repeats the same things that were emphasized in the much older Analog course.

Each Unit is broken down into different lessons, such as Layers, Retouching, Color Management, Scanning etc. There are about 6 lessons in each unit. For a beginner the lessons are pretty well laid out, but I found some lessons in Unit 4 to be vague or badly written.

You also get tapes where the instructors discuss the Digital Industry, and there are Tips(goodies) and other incentives on each CD that can come in handy.

A more experienced Digital Professional might find the lessons a little elementary, but for somebody like myself who just switched over to Digital a couple of years ago some of the lessons were pretty challenging.

Each lesson comes with a Photo assignment and a quiz that is graded by one of the instructors at the school. It takes about 3-4 weeks before you receive your grades back in the Mail.

The great thing about this style of teaching is that you can learn at your own pace. However, I would not go too slow, or spread to much time between the Units, because some of the material is progressive so you might have to back to a previous lesson to fully understand the next one which can slow you down.

The thing about this school is that you are not under any pressure to "get a good grade" like in formal education so you sort of have to motivate yourself, which is not easy to do.

The cons are, that the Units are a little dated. I have PS CS2 insalled, but I think they use the previous version. Or maybe the previous, previous version whatever that was.

I would recomend that after taking this course you decide to continue with some more indepth learning. There are some pretty good Digital books out there like "Katrin Eismann's Retouching & Restoration ,or Photoshop Elements 5 Restoration and Retouching Book by Matt Kloskowski that go deeper into PS and retouching Digital Images in a more practical and focused manner.

All in all the lessons in this course are a good primer and for the price you can beat it. I Enrolled into the "payment plan" so I was only paying $35 a month which did not really break the bank.

Another good thing is that you can allways go back and review the lessons and if one of your CDs gets corrupted, or you happen to spill milk on one of them, you can allways call the school and they will mail you a new one.

Here is what I would suggest before doing the NYIP route. Check with your local Junior

College or Adult school before signing up for NYIP. You will save money and hands on

training. From what I have seen of their materials they offer decent basic information at

a high price. From what I have seen of their courses they offer the info is dated but

good, and they are trying to improve in this area.

"From what I have seen of their materials they offer decent basic information at a high price. "

The good thing about it is that you get undevided attention and you avoid the petty hassles that make our lives so wonderful on this little planet.

"The good thing about it is that you get undevided attention and you avoid the petty hassles that make our lives so

wonderful on this little planet."

True but, the disadvantages are greater cost, for less information, no face to face time with questions and no hands on or

structure lab work.

As for the petty little hassles that is what makes life interesting. Sorry I have photojournalist background.

• 8 months later...

<p>Actually I'm presently enrolled in the fundamental class right now. They give you excellent workbooks. A CD that the instructors discuss the lessons with you. then there are the photos you take which you send in to be critiqued. You spend 28.00 enrollment. Then 45 a month until you complete the units your doing. I myself decided to take the fundamental class which is 398.00 total. Then after that I'll decide which direction to go with more skills that are needed. I like what i see in Bryan Peterson pictures and books. He also teaches photography as well. I am more inclined to go that direction after finishing the course with NYIP. But with that said you won't find a better way to learn digital photography then the basic course with NYIP.. Top it off it's not expensive either in fact its change.<br>

oh there are test..lol and you do become certified through the institute. David</p>